Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Guess you cannot just clone your primary system OS drive to the new EVO 970 NVMe for some reason?

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
Okay

Downloaded and ran the installer from my old installation. No warnings/messages regarding firmware. Was to be expected...but worth checking.

Followed @tsialex 's instructions and fully wiped the drive. It was a brand new drive, no previous installs.

Dropping back to the macOS Mojave installer I am now told

"The disk doesn't use the GUID Partition Table Scheme

Use Disk Utility to change the partition scheme. Select the device containing the disk, click the Erase button, select the Volume Scheme and then Click Erase"

So in to Disk Utility and I follow the instructions and there's that message again

""You may not install to this volume because the computer is missing a firmware partition"

So I tried a few more options and what I notice is that I am formatting (old habits die hard) the drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). If I format the drive as AFPS when setting the partition scheme....then it will install.

This is odd as my 'internal' drives never experienced this issue.

Mojave is currently installing...

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Okay

Downloaded and ran the installer from my old installation. No warnings/messages regarding firmware. Was to be expected...but worth checking.

Followed @tsialex 's instructions and fully wiped the drive. It was a brand new drive, no previous installs.

Dropping back to the macOS Mojave installer I am now told

"The disk doesn't use the GUID Partition Table Scheme

Use Disk Utility to change the partition scheme. Select the device containing the disk, click the Erase button, select the Volume Scheme and then Click Erase"

So in to Disk Utility and I follow the instructions and there's that message again

""You may not install to this volume because the computer is missing a firmware partition"

So I tried a few more options and what I notice is that I am formatting (old habits die hard) the drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). If I format the drive as AFPS when setting the partition scheme....then it will install.

This is odd as my 'internal' drives never experienced this issue.

Mojave is currently installing...
Weird, I always format my drives with HFS+ and the installer converts it into APFS later. Never had a problem with this before.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
@BillyBobBongo

Why can't you just use Carbon Copy Cloner and clone your system OS to the NVMe?
I have all my data backed up and stored, putting it back in place really isn't that troublesome for me. Never really had the need to clone a drive before.

Weird, I always format my drives with HFS+ and the installer converts it into APFS later. Never had a problem with this before.
Indeed, it certainly is odd. The installer is usually smart enough to work it all out.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
I've had this issue before, same error, and yes, I had to erase drive and format APFS to proceed.

X--X

Suspended
Jun 11, 2015
I just want to say thank you to tsialex for the High Sierra tip.

The 10.14.1 installer refused to run on Mojave (AMD 7970) .... so I installed High Sierra on an external drive, ran the same 10.14.1 installer and on High Sierra it excepted my graphics card without any problem and I could finally perform the firmware update to BootROM 140.

Reactions: tsialex

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Blank_00.jpg
Blank_01.jpg
Blank_02.jpg
Blank_03.jpg
Blank_04.jpg
Blank_05.jpg
Blank_06.jpg
Blank_07.jpg
Blank_08.jpg
Blank_09.jpg
Looks like the same version is back up for those who are beta testing.

I'm half way downloading it, I'll get back with news soon.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
10.14.2DP1 has the same 140.0.0.0.0 for MP5,1 as 10.14.1DP3:

Code:
$IBIOSI$ MP51.88Z.F000.B00.1809191555
Apple ROM Version
  Model:        MP51
  EFI Version:  140.0.0.0.0
  Date:         Wed Sep 19 15:49:52 2018
  Build Type:   Release

Blank_00.jpg
Blank_01.jpg
Blank_02.jpg
Blank_03.jpg
Blank_04.jpg
Blank_05.jpg
Blank_06.jpg
Blank_07.jpg
Blank_08.jpg
Blank_09.jpg

Same 127.0.0.0.0 for MP6,1:

Code:
$IBIOSI$ MP61.88Z.0125.B00.1809171517
Copyright (c) 2005-2018 Apple Inc.  All rights reserved.
Apple ROM Version
  Model:        MP61
  EFI Version:  127.0.0.0.0
  Built by:     root@saumon
  Date:         Mon Sep 17 15:11:58 PDT 2018
  Revision:     127 (B&I)
  ROM Version:  F000_D00
  Build Type:   Official Build, Release
  Compiler:     Apple clang version 3.0 (tags/Apple/clang-211.10.1) (based on LLVM 3.0svn)
[code]

Last edited:

MuNLoK

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
Spain
That's really a premature and unfounded conclusion. Only time will tell. The same conclusion was erroneously assumed at nearly every juncture of the upgrade process since 10.13.x

Of course only time will tell, but I think Apple will not keep this kind of work for a long time. For some reason they made the decision to do it, and several updates have been released in a short space of time, but I do not believe apple will now keep launching frequent updates for this.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
If you have a wishlist for Apple's engineers to work on for future firmware updates, you should post it here. There was a post a few pages back saying they are following this thread.

Personally, aside from NVIDIA web drivers (either baked into OS or post-install) the only thing I can imagine actually being worked on would be boot screens. That should open a door for FV3 development or something similar.

This latest 140.0.0.0.0 firmware update has already made visible speed difference in application launching, especially ones like AE that load a ton of plugins at startup. For a 2010/2012 machine, it's been upgraded and has stayed very current. Quite possibly my best computer purchase ever, but it looks NOTHING like it did when originally purchased.

fatespawn

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2009
Chicagoish
If you have a wishlist for Apple's engineers to work on for future firmware updates, you should post it here. There was a post a few pages back saying they are following this thread.

Boot Screens..... yes! Strange thing to have to ask for.

Maybe fix the strange fan bug that seems too proliferate in Mac Pros causing fans to run at higher speeds than normal. But 140.0.0.0 was a very welcome addition breathing a little more life in to 10 year old hardware.

X--X

Suspended
Jun 11, 2015
For a 2010/2012 machine, it's been upgraded and has stayed very current.

I couldn't agree more. The classic MacPro is definitely the best computer I have ever purchased and I'm very thankful that the programmers at Apple have decided to keep it alive.

Unfortunately, I don't believe we will ever see a computer like that from Apple again, reasonable new price, upgradable for many many years.

If they do a new upgradable MacPro, it will cost a fortune and I will never be able to afford it.

Reactions: TheStork

nbritton

macrumors regular
May 22, 2008
Does this mean the Intel Optane 900p and/or 905p will work? Are there any PCIe x8 or x16 NVMe cards on the market?

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
My Wishlist from the talented Apple engineers (tantamount to getting on my knees and begging):
1. Boot screens for all Metal capable GPUs including my R9 380X.
2. Or – a Verbose/other mode (text only) equivalent that allows for command line issued instructions (like boot manager including Windows, csrutil changes, MacOS install etc).
3. Bootcamp update to switch back to MacOS (Paragon's APFS for Windows utility doesn't get that far).
4. PCIe external box, drivers, magic that allows for eGPU-type Thunderbolt options (clearly not at the real TB3 speeds).
5. Incredible WOW with the mMP you're designing - I mean "blow our socks off" WOW, not merely an eye brow raise.
and lastly…
6. A prototype/finished mMP that I'd be happy to test for you. [excited loyal dog expression]Aha aha yep yep yeAH![/excited loyal dog expression]

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
My Wishlist from the talented Apple engineers (tantamount to getting on my knees and begging):
1. Boot screens for all Metal capable GPUs including my R9 380X.
2. Or – a Verbose/other mode (text only) equivalent that allows for command line issued instructions (like boot manager including Windows, csrutil changes, MacOS install etc).
Let’s be real, this is not going to happen like you are thinking.

AMD could do like NVIDIA did with RTX2080, GOP/UGA support within the GPU firmware, not from the Mac Pro side. Perhaps a RX-590 Mac Edition.

If this ever happen, every Polaris GPU with decent SPI-flash memory will be flashable, since the code is the same for RX460/560/470/570/480/580/590.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Let’s be real, this is not going to happen like you are thinking.

AMD could do like NVIDIA did with RTX2080, GOP/UGA support within the GPU firmware, not from the Mac Pro side. Perhaps a RX-590 Mac Edition.

If this ever happen, every Polaris GPU with decent SPI-flash memory will be flashable, since the code is the same for RX460/560/470/570/480/580/590.

This is probably one of the best options. The question to which I can't find an answer though is why on earth Apple decided to release Mojave OS (and officially support cMP), which only supports a metal framework without a proper video card? Yet their recommended video cards are partially crippled? That is beyond my perception of the Apple mindset.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Thowing two thoughts out there:
No one expected to support the 5,1 this long.
An NVIDIA card will be released with the 7,1 that will work everywhere.

Not sure about the NVIDIA one, really depends on the 2018 AMD exclusive rumor.

tu2thepoo

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2017
If they do a new upgradable MacPro, it will cost a fortune and I will never be able to afford it.
The Mac Pro was never cheap - launch price was $2,499 for the base 2009 model (a little under $3,000 in 2018 money). A fully loaded Mac Pro cost north of $5,000. The audience was almost exclusively prosumers with large wallets and, you know, professionals who could justify the business expense.

The fact that it’s affordable *now* compared to other Mac models is because there are so many on the used market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.