Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I just need the card for the initial flashing and then I can stay on High Sierra without the metal card, correct?

Yes. After upgrading the BootROM you can remove the METAL supported GPU.

Bleachkon

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2019
Ive read a few things and not entierly sure but I'm a able to upgrade to Mojave?

Mac Pro 5,1 (Mid-2010)
High Sierra 10.13.6
Bootrom- 141.0.0.0.0
Graphics Card - AMD Radeon RX590 Nitro+

I see that having an RX580 works but not sure about the 590.

I still have my 5770 graphics card. I opened up the app installer and it tells me to upgrade the bootrom but Im not sure if I should do that or stick with my current bootrom.

I have read the First Post a lot and im not sure with my current Graphics card and Current Bootrom.
If I am good can someone let me know if I am and if not just let me know what I need to do and ill try it. Thanks!

octoviaa

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2013
Ive read a few things and not entierly sure but I'm a able to upgrade to Mojave?

Mac Pro 5,1 (Mid-2010)
High Sierra 10.13.6
Bootrom- 141.0.0.0.0
Graphics Card - AMD Radeon RX590 Nitro+

I see that having an RX580 works but not sure about the 590.

I still have my 5770 graphics card. I opened up the app installer and it tells me to upgrade the bootrom but Im not sure if I should do that or stick with my current bootrom.

I have read the First Post a lot and im not sure with my current Graphics card and Current Bootrom.
If I am good can someone let me know if I am and if not just let me know what I need to do and ill try it. Thanks!
You've got prompt to update the bootrom means the installer able to detect you've got METAL GPU (which you're) and also means you're good to go.

Just be patient during the firmware (bootrom) update as you'll not be able to see any progress with RX 590.

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
I just am not getting it. I have two MacPros. I put compatible GPUs in both machines. I put the GPUs in BEFORE trying to update the bootRom. The 2nd machine took it. The 1st MacPro not yet. I have a SSD PCIe (is it a SATA III? - I assume so). I took it out after the firmware didn’t work. I guess. The previous Boot ROM was MP51.007f.B03. Now it says 138.0.0. Is that the right direction of what you would expect from the HS install?

In trying to do the 1st MacPro I put the old GPU back. Hoping that’ll take.

The problem is I already have High Sierra installed on this Mac as my boot, and I’m not sure how that works. When I try to install Mojave it says I have to install high Sierra first. But I’m in HS. So I’m trying to be patient. But it’s been taking hours and hours so far.

I have trashed all High Sierra install apps. I need to know how to install the firmware. Is there a more direct way?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I just am not getting it. I have two MacPros. I put compatible GPUs in both machines. I put the GPUs in BEFORE trying to update the bootRom. The 2nd machine took it. The 1st MacPro not yet. I have a SSD PCIe (is it a SATA III? - I assume so). I took it out after the firmware didn’t work. I guess. The previous Boot ROM was MP51.007f.B03. Now it says 138.0.0. Is that the right direction of what you would expect from the HS install?

In trying to do the 1st MacPro I put the old GPU back. Hoping that’ll take.

The problem is I already have High Sierra installed on this Mac as my boot, and I’m not sure how that works. When I try to install Mojave it says I have to install high Sierra first. But I’m in HS. So I’m trying to be patient. But it’s been taking hours and hours so far.

I have trashed all High Sierra install apps. I need to know how to install the firmware. Is there a more direct way?

If you read attentively the first post of the thread you will see that 138.0.0.0.0 is the first Mojave BootROM. High Sierra ends with MP51.0089.B00 and Mojave starts with 138.0.0.0.0. If you upgraded to it, you used the wrong Mojave installer.

138.0.0.0.0 BootROM is not enough for the current Mojave 10.14.5 installer to work, you need to upgrade to 144.0.0.0.0 with the instructions on the Mojave installer.

Read the first post, everything needed is there. Pay attention with the notes.

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
Ok. I’ll take the time to read. Lol. So I’m on the right track. Why does it keep telling me I have to install HS first when I try and install Mojave? Ok, ok. I’ll read it. Thanks for your help.

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
If you read attentively the first post of the thread you will see that 138.0.0.0.0 is the first Mojave BootROM. High Sierra ends with MP51.0089.B00 and Mojave starts with 138.0.0.0.0. If you upgraded to it, you used the wrong Mojave installer.

138.0.0.0.0 BootROM is not enough for the current Mojave 10.14.5 installer to work, you need to upgrade to 144.0.0.0.0 with the instructions on the Mojave installer.

Read the first post, everything needed is there. Pay attention with the notes.
I don't know how I used the wrong Mojave installer. I got it right from the App Store. So I'll put the GeForce GTX 680 back in and try Mojave again.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
apple says you must on MP51.0089.B00 before install mojave?
138.0.0.0.0 is the first Mojave BootROM, so the first part is done. With a 10.14.0 createinstallmedia USB key, the install would go on, but with a 10.14.5 Mojave installer he still neededs to upgrade the BootROM from 138.0.0.0.0 to 144.0.0.0.0.

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
138.0.0.0.0 is the first Mojave BootROM, so the first part is done. With a 10.14.0 createinstallmedia USB key, the install would go on, but with a 10.14.5 Mojave installer he still neededs to upgrade the BootROM from 138.0.0.0.0 to 144.0.0.0.0.

And how at this point? Put the metal GPU back, trash all the Mojave installers and install again?

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
I'm back. I temporarily fixed my internet issue. Continued installing High Sierra then Mojave. I noticed my boot test drive was 10.13.3. So I decided to update that to 10.13.6 before continuing. That went fine. But I had previously chosen to install HS on an empty drive, so it started installing there. OK. No problem. Done with the install Mac restarts. But it doesn't come back. I let it sit there for 30-45 minutes. Then I hit the shutdown-restart. No chime. No display.

Do I need to start over with the SATA III removed?

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
Alright. We can end my pain here. I was able to get it to get to boot rom 14.0 whatever it is. Now I’m install Mavericks on my SSD PCIe. Last step. It’s just hard without a chime happening. Thanks everyone for letting me wade through this thread.

TheStork

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
@tsialex, Thanks for the info in Post #1. Updated from BootROM 138.0.0.0.0 to 144.0.0.0.0 and then upgraded to Mojave from High Sierra without a problem.

I made sure my macOS 10.14 on my NVMe SSD (in AngelBird Wings) was up to date. Then, I used CCC to backup the NVMe to the HDD in the HDD sled. I booted the HDD and downloaded the Mojave full installer. It booted and gave me the instructions to load the updated BootROM. Upon completion, I changed my boot drive back to the Angelbird NVMe SSD. At the Desktop, I launched the Mojave updater and sat back to watch the upgrade from HS to Mojave.

Digital64

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2016
Caracas
Successfully upgraded my MacPro to 144 boot rom from 141 HSierra 10.13.6 on a PCI/SSD APFS Metal Radeon HD 7950 PC card with double Rom, one Flashed for EFI support. Downloaded Mojave 14.5.5 from App Store and proceed with rom update has instructed with no problems. Thanks all.

Reactions: howiest

countershading

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
I bought a used Mac Pro 5.1 running Mojave and the seller booted from a Mojave Installer USB Flash Drive to erase the system SSD and data HDD, both formatted as APFS before and after erasing.

Now when I try to boot from the same USB Flash Drive, it doesn’t show up as a bootable volume.

The patcher file on the same drive says the computer can already run Mojave, no patch necessary (when running it while booting from an old bootable Lion drive).

Since I also tried to boot from a High Sierra Flash Drive with no success, I should probably install Lion and then move up from there? Should I remove the SSD first? Thanks!

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I bought a used Mac Pro 5.1 running Mojave and the seller booted from a Mojave Installer USB Flash Drive to erase the system SSD and data HDD, both formatted as APFS before and after erasing.

Now when I try to boot from the same USB Flash Drive, it doesn’t show up as a bootable volume.

The patcher file on the same drive says the computer can already run Mojave, no patch necessary (when running it while booting from an old bootable Lion drive).

Since I also tried to boot from a High Sierra Flash Drive with no success, I should probably install Lion and then move up from there? Should I remove the SSD first? Thanks!
Do the 1st post "If nothing above works for you, try this"

Reactions: countershading
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.