MacPro5,1 & Windows 8.1 (EFI) & GeForce GT 120

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mikeboss, Dec 17, 2014.

1. mikeboss macrumors 65816

mikeboss

is anybody able to boot this setup successfully? I have a MacPro5,1 with Windows 8.1 installed (EFI boot, NOT BIOS emulation!). this works if there's an ATI Radeon 5770 installed. but a soon as I try to run this with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 installed, Windows just resets the system shortly before the login screen appears. it doesn't matter what driver I use (Apple's Boot Camp GT 120 driver or NVIDIA's own 9500 GT driver). any ideas?

2. EdDuPlessis macrumors 6502

Windows 8.1 doesn't support the GT120 and loads up a generic video driver instead.

3. mikeboss thread starter macrumors 65816

mikeboss

well, Windows 8.1 doesn't support the Radeon HD 5770 either. that's why one has to install drivers in Windows... BTW: if I run the Windows update, it installs the NVIDIA driver all by itself.

4. goMac macrumors 603

It may not support the card when running under EFI. I don't think the drivers are quite the same.

5. mikeboss thread starter macrumors 65816

mikeboss

interesting theory. but I'm not sure about this. because if so, there would need to exist not only 32Bit & 64Bit drivers, but also BIOS and UEFI ones. I never heard about BIOS and/or UEFI specific Windows drivers though...

6. goMac macrumors 603

Keep in mind you're using a card that never shipped in an EFI variant for Windows. Newer cards may come with EFI blessed drivers, but Nvidia may have never shipped a GT 120 EFI driver.

Everything here is pointing to the driver, especially in since another card is working.

7. Squuiid macrumors 6502a

Squuiid

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm having the same issue with my GTX680 Mac Edition. As soon as the NVIDIA driver installs on a fresh install of Windows 8.1 or 10, then I get a black screen and its game over.
    Does anyone have this issue with their Mac Pro 5,1 and GTX680 in Windows?