Macro application?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fullsmoke, Sep 8, 2009.

1. fullsmoke macrumors newbie

I'm in need of an app that can record my mouse movements/clicks and keystrokes so I can "automate" actions in Safari. I tried to fiddle with Automator, but found it to be completely puzzling for such a simple task... Any advice?

FS

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You should take a look at AppleScript. There's a learning curve, but it can do the type of things you want.

3. fullsmoke thread starter macrumors newbie

I've found hundreds of programs for Windows--is there nothing 3rd party for Mac? :(

4. larkost macrumors 6502a

No, AppleScript does a pretty good job, so there is not much space for third-party apps. Not everything is recordable, and it seems that Safari is on this list. You don't say what you are trying to accomplish, but I have never been quite happy with Safari as a scripting target.

If you post what you are actually trying to do, there are probably ways of achieving it with simple scripts.

And Automator is a bit limited. I really wish that they had tied it to AppleScript, which would have improved both, but it is its own thing and is alright for strictly-linear actions.

5. fullsmoke thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Specifically, I am hoping to automate mouse movements/keystrokes in a flash/java environment.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Oh, you're trying to cheat on a flash game eh ;) There's been threads on that here if that's your goal. I never followed the threads so not sure what kind of solutions they may have come up with. Check out MRoogle to search those threads out.