Macro C&C needed

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by flosseR, Jul 8, 2009.

1. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Right I am new to macro (less than 3 months) and I am still getting the hang of hunting the bugs. Sometimes i get lucky and then i need to remember how to shoot and focus etc.
    Problem is that I need to shoot late in the evening say 22:00 when its still light but the bugs are slower...

so here is my latest shot, please let me know the pro and cons.. and yes i know its high iso :) its dark out there ...

Thanks[​IMG]

2. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

looks like just a smidgen of front focus? Also background is king of distracting.

What was your setup?

3. flosseR thread starter macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Hi, what do you mean smidgen in the front focus?

Setup: d90, tripod, Macro 70mm lens (loaner), shot at f10, i think but had to get really close.
    so you think the green is too distracting?

cheers,

/F

4. jake.f macrumors 6502

Shoot with the aperture wide open i.e the smallest number.

5. flosseR thread starter macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Well at that distance the depth of field becomes EXTREMELY shallow then at 1:1 which is the problem I am facing for insects... if I don't push the f to 8 or 10 i can get only a very small area into focus.

//F

6. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I meant that you slightly focused just in front of the grasshopper. Not alot maybe 1 or 2 mm. But that's alot in macro.

If your on a tripod and there is no wind. Dial down the ISO to 100 or 200 also you probably dont need the flash either. these are personal preferences as I shoot macro on a tripod with no flash usually.