Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Lots of practical uses for this kind of stuff

SpAtZ said:
http://web.mac.com/cspatz/iWeb/Site/Macro Swirls.html

I was playing around with some dye and took a bunch of shots. What do you think?

I like the first 6 blue ones. Things like this are usfull. I like to use them for backgrounds on web pages of Power Point slides. I've used I have some starfish that are usfull as buttons.

Just last night I was trying to catalog some shots of water, cut and pollished stone and plaster walls. All of this is great raw fodder for Photoshop munching. It's good to have a large file of tectures, swirls and so on.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
That rules, I love them when they are small, but for some reason when I blow them up. They look too soft, I guess I just expect slightly harder lines, like the apple abstract backgrounds. Thank you for showing them to us.

SpAtZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
NY
jared_kipe said:
That rules, I love them when they are small, but for some reason when I blow them up. They look too soft, I guess I just expect slightly harder lines, like the apple abstract backgrounds. Thank you for showing them to us.

Yea they are a little soft. I was just using food coloring so the dye wasnt very thick.

edit: added a few.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
OK, I want to know what you used and how you did it! Initially I was thinking maybe it was jello, but since you mention food colorings, I'm curious as to what you put the food colorings in...and what surface upon which you positioned them in order to shoot. I want to play with this kind of thing myself!

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
SpAtZ said:
Yea they are a little soft. I was just using food coloring so the dye wasnt very thick.

edit: added a few.
Did you check (with a pencil or your finger or something) to verify that the focus was in the right place? I've found that with my macro shooting at around f/4, the focal plane is TINY, I've got to be extremely precise.

SpAtZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
NY
pdpfilms said:
Did you check (with a pencil or your finger or something) to verify that the focus was in the right place? I've found that with my macro shooting at around f/4, the focal plane is TINY, I've got to be extremely precise.

Thats exactly what I did.

Basically I just dropped the food coloring into a glass baking tray and snapped a bunch of shots before the dye diffused. With white sheets on the external bottum of the tray.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Clix Pix said:
Initially I was thinking maybe it was jello, but...

no, i didn't take the pictures, though i wish i could say i had. hah

i like em. as chrisA said, lots of good uses for these as backgrounds. also great to throw on a projector at a rave.. hah

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
SpAtZ said:
Basically I just dropped the food coloring into a glass baking tray and snapped a bunch of shots before the dye diffused. With white sheets on the external bottum of the tray.

Ah, thank you! What a neat idea! I'll have to pick up some food coloring as well as some jello next time I'm at the store and then I'll have me some fun.....

A friend did some neat stuff with jello, that's why I had initially thought maybe that is what you'd done, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.