Macro

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Apple fanboy, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Apple fanboy, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014

Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Yesterday there was some talk about Macro product photography and Kenko extension tubes.
    [​IMG]20140806-_DSC7050 by apple fanboy1, on Flickr
    So as promised here is some sample shots. These are not for critique (because they are crap!), but to give you an idea of what the different focal ranges do.

So here is the first shot of a 60 mm Nikon Lens cap to give you an idea of the scale. Shot on a tripod with an R1C1 Nikon macro flash kit from about 6 inches away.

[​IMG]No tube by apple fanboy1, on Flickr

Same again (but a little closer) with the 12 mm ring. Not much of a change here.

[​IMG]12 mm Kenko by apple fanboy1, on Flickr

And same again, but the 20 mm tube.

[​IMG]20 mm Kenko by apple fanboy1, on Flickr

And lastly the daddy 36 mm. Had a bit of difficulty because the flash was getting in my way to focus correctly, so it's off quite a bit.

[​IMG]36 mm Kenko by apple fanboy1, on Flickr

Lastly I was asked to show all three staked together. I couldn't get anywhere close enough to get a focus, so went with a 1.5 inch smiley face fridge magnet. What you can see is a blurry eye.

[​IMG]12+20+36 mm Kenko by apple fanboy1, on Flickr

So feel free to use this thread as a discussion board for macro, extension tubes and product shots etc. The price of these things is pretty low, so if you are looking to expand your range of photography on a budget, worth a look.

Here is a couple of iPhone snaps of the set up (not in situ)

Attached Files:

2. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

thanks very much for going through the trouble to set up & post this AFB!
    I was also pondering to ask you if you could post a pic without a tube, but you went for it anyway, cheers for that!

extension tubes do indeed seem to do the trick on a budget (ie extend your macro even more)

I might be ordering a set off ebay soon enough.

3. Apple fanboy thread starter macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Added a couple of pictures of the set up. I'd moved it at that point though, but you get the idea.

Also should add Auto focus is a bit hit and miss with the tubes. I went with the Kenko ones, which at least work some of the time. Also I read some horror stories about the cheap £10 sets getting stuck on cameras/lenses etc.

4. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

woooy, you got those tip-of-lens-flashy flashes!!

do you part time in CSUs?:D

will refrain from buying cheapos, thanks for the tip

5. Apple fanboy thread starter macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Did you mean CSI (Crime Scene Investigation)?

Mrs AFB loves those shows. Whenever I watch I'm always trying to spot the camera and set up etc!

The flash thing works well (even better if I took the time to learn how to use it properly. I'd tried a standard speed light, but with the tubes you get a nasty shadow. You can get some cheap defuser rings for a standard speed light, but I've never used them so can't comment.

Other people feel free to add there images taken with or without tubes, as long as it's macro. If this evolved like the bridges thread I think that would be good.

Here's another I took with no tubes but using the little speedlites on their stands with some blue & red gels. Worse thing about this shot is you can see all the dirt on the little model even though I'd just cleaned it! Its about 2 inches tall.

[​IMG]20140621-_DSC3943 by apple fanboy1, on Flickr