Macros in Mac Office Excel

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by naturallight, Dec 18, 2008.

1. naturallight macrumors member

Hi, I searched for this but couldn't find anything.

I'm trying to set up some macros in Excel 2004. When I go to record the macro, after I type in the name of the Macro, I can't record it. The only button that I can click is "Cancel". I am not putting a space in my macro name.

Perhaps somewhat related, I can find/open my Personal Workbook. There are no hidden files. And when I try to create the Macro, the "Personal Workbook" isn't an option for where to save it.

I'm pretty familiar with the windows Excel, so this all seems kind of weird.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

The new office for Mac, does not have the Macros aspect. It was left out.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

He said specifically he was using 2004
    You should be able to use macros in 2004

I don't have 2004 installed any more, so I can't look for you
    But someone will be along soon to help... or you can PM nadyne the MS Office rep

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

correct. no macro support in the Office for Mac 2004, due to lack of Visual Basic support.

5. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

No, Office 2004 has macro support (based on VB 5), but Office 2008 does not have macro support. The OP stated he/she had Office 2004, so there is macro support.

I remember seeing this problem a few years ago. I will try to find the link to resolve.

6. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Office:Mac 2004 does have macros support (Office 2008 doesn't; the next version of Office will bring it back). However, Office 2004 doesn't allow you to record macros. :(

One option would be to create an AppleScript instead of using VBA macros. This is a good solution if you're only working on a Mac, but won't help if you're going cross-platform. The AppleScript dictionary in Excel 2004 is pretty good; we made improvements to it in Excel 2008 to try to bridge the gap that removing VBA caused. There's a VBA to AppleScript transition guide that will help you learn how to go from VBA to AppleScript.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

7. Ramashalanka macrumors regular

But can you record AppleScript in Excel via the Script Editor? The help says "Some applications let you record actions using Script Editor". Do you know if the next Office release, with VBA, will have VBA recording (or AppleScript recording)?

8. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I don't have specific details to share about that yet. When we're closer to the release of the next version of Office, we'll start posting details at Mac Mojo, the MacBU team blog.

Regards,
    Nadyne.