Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSaint

macrumors 603
Gave a pint March 30th. Wish I knew how many gallons I'd given over the years.

My daughter, now 17, gave for the first time. She did fine until a few hours later when she fainted at work. Probably should have gone home to rest.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
First-time donor and I gave a pint of blood. A lot less scarier than I thought.

Platelet donation today. Its my 11th time :) Going again in just under 4 weeks.

I'm one hand typing as I donate platelets, plasma and RBC's right now at Blood Centers of the Pacific.

I've been donating for 25 years and have given >20 gallons, often giving platelets several times a month when called upon.

I'll post a pic when I'm done :D

:) I support the MacRumors Blood Drive! :)

Donated for my first time at my school Blood Drive for Canadian Blood Services today.
I donated 1 unit of blood, and other than a brief period of being less than fully conscious, it was a pretty great experience.
Great idea MacRumors, donating blood is such an important and under appreciated issue- hopefully the community steps up and donates.

Platelets, 2 units, my 78th donation since 2004.

Donated (blood) for my first time at The Thai Red Cross Society.

Donated 500ml at my local hospital here in Norway earlier today.
It's my second time only, as we only give blood 3-4 times a year here.

This must be one of the easiest ways to help others... I hope more people start to donate:)

Thank you all for your blood donations! Your support is greatly appreciated. Your donations have been added to the honour roll. If any of the information is incorrect, please PM me!

Remember to try and show us your blood donation!!!

Shaun.

Last edited:

rneumann

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
Donated Red Blood Cells and Plasma

Gave 1 unit of Red Blood Cells and 2 units of Plasma yesterday...

GO SJ SHARKS!

Attachments

• IMG_0636.jpg
    IMG_0636.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 130

Opspin

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
Just remembered!

My local donor office emailed me last week saying it was time, this was my 9th donation and next time I'll get a price (some sort of pin I think) :cool:

Donating blood by Opspin, on Flickr

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8

erzeszut

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
Donated!

Donated a pint of whole blood today!! The Red Cross here in Birmingham is having a MAJOR blood drive this week. After the devastating tornadoes in Alabama last week, local emergency rooms were swamped with patients and blood supplies dropped quickly.

I'm a long time donor, been donating for nearly 20 years now. But this was my first donation in about 14 months. I was "deferred" from donating for a year after a cruise in March 2010. One of the stops (Roatan, Honduras) is a "malaria-prone area" and put me on the deferred list for a year!!

Felt good to be back in the chair again!!!

bD7Ce.jpg

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Donated a pint of whole blood today!! The Red Cross here in Birmingham is having a MAJOR blood drive this week. After the devastating tornadoes in Alabama last week, local emergency rooms were swamped with patients and blood supplies dropped quickly.

I'm a long time donor, been donating for nearly 20 years now. But this was my first donation in about 14 months. I was "deferred" from donating for a year after a cruise in March 2010. One of the stops (Roatan, Honduras) is a "malaria-prone area" and put me on the deferred list for a year!!

Felt good to be back in the chair again!!!

Congratulations and well done! Do you know how many pints of blood you've donated over the years?

I've added you onto our honour roll!

macbook yes

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
There's a blood drive next week at my university. I'll try to make it but I am working all 3 days they are doing it, and it always seems to take several hours of waiting.

A few months ago I donated with the red cross for the first time. I think I prefer blood source. Red cross seemed like the were sick of being at their jobs, not grateful that we were giving blood.

MrMac'n'Cheese

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2010
I have low iron, so I don't know if they shall let me, sometimes they say I need to raise my iron before donating.....

iXtina

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
NC
MacRumors Blood Drive 2011

I gave whole blood May 1st! This is my 5th unit! feel free to delete the picture if you feel its too much :D (sorry haha) I keep track of my donations and donate as often as possible!
I am also a new user on MacRumors!

:) I support the MacRumors Blood Drive! :)

Attachments

• blood drive.jpg
    blood drive.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 133

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
I gave a unit of whole blood on April 28. I am type O negative, the "Universal donor" so they want me bad. :)
I almost always give double red cells, but there were 2 people ahead of me for the single machine and I had a meeting 45 minutes later :eek:

Being the rare type I am, and watching my mother suffer and nearly die from a clotting disorder, blood donation is something very dear to me. Thank you to everyone who donates, it may be you or a loved one who needs blood one day. :)

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I gave whole blood today!
My unit of A positive blood seemed to come through fairly quickly this time round, probably due to the huge amounts of water I drank since I felt a little funny last time I donated. :)

The high schools in my area (I'm in Year 12) have a competition in conjunction with the Red Cross called the Vampire Shield, and the school with the most donations wins the shield. Conveniently enough my school was running a blood drive at the same time as MacRumors!

I hope that my blood can be of some use to a person who needs it, and would encourage others to get involved in donating blood. You never know when it might be you who needs it.

Attachments

• IMG_1245.jpg
    IMG_1245.jpg
    444.2 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1247.jpg
    IMG_1247.jpg
    556.3 KB · Views: 139

jamieb63

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2011
Awesome idea

What a wonderful idea......only a very small percentage of the eligible population donates blood -- and we need it replenished EVERYDAY!!

There are numerous United BLood Services blood centers around the country - please visit us or your local community blood center!

Thanks to everyone willing to be our HEROS!

jamieb63

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2011
Unless things have changed, I'm barred from donating anything, because I'm diabetic. But, I firmly support the cause.

if you're in the USA and don't have any other deferring underlying conditions, diabetes is not a problem for a donation.....

erzeszut

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
Congratulations and well done! Do you know how many pints of blood you've donated over the years?

I've added you onto our honour roll!

I don't. I was a "double galloneer" before I moved away from Florida and that was in 1996. :)

I suspect it's 10+ gallons at this point.

G4-power

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2004
Vaasa, Finland
Today, May 5th, I donated one unit (450 ml) of whole blood at the Finnish Red Cross Blood Service center in my hometown, Kokkola.
This was my 11th donation.

I've been over 18 (which is the age limit here) for some 3,5 years now, so it makes about 3 donations per year. Could be more! Well, I'll keep them coming! There's a "hall of fame" on a wall at the local donation center. Everyone with over 100 donations gets their picture on the wall. There's a nice goal to reach. :)

Attachments

• Kuva0251.jpg
    Kuva0251.jpg
    381 KB · Views: 128
  • Kuva0252.jpg
    Kuva0252.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 134

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Today, May 5th, I donated one unit (450 ml) of whole blood at the Finnish Red Cross Blood Service center in my hometown, Kokkola.
This was my 11th donation.

I've been over 18 (which is the age limit here) for some 3,5 years now, so it makes about 3 donations per year. Could be more! Well, I'll keep them coming! There's a "hall of fame" on a wall at the local donation center. Everyone with over 100 donations gets their picture on the wall. There's a nice goal to reach. :)

Congratulations! I've added you to the honour roll!

iwbyte

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2005
Did a triple Platelet donation

Just finished up my latest triple unit (i.e. 3 units) platelets donation. Its nice that they have wifi here so I can surf and bleed on command at the same time.

They say that i'm a fast bleeder, which means I'm only here for 2 hours - great time to catch up on blogs and facebook and of course MacRumors.com!

Attachments

• platelets.jpg
    platelets.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 134

silexh

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2010
The Netherlands
Donated half a liter of blood today, second time =D

My phone battery ran out, so here's a picture of the result ;)

They ran out of normal food, so they could only supply me with loads of cookies :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 11052011242.jpg
    11052011242.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 118

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Donated half a liter of blood today, second time =D

My phone battery ran out, so here's a picture of the result ;)

They ran out of normal food, so they could only supply me with loads of cookies :rolleyes:

That's the spirit!

Thank you for donating - I have added you to our honour roll.

I myself have still to donate - I am pretty busy just now but plan to donate during the last week in May!

Any people on the fence, wanting to donate but not sure of how to go about it?

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
My parents and I donated Wednesday! I'm in the black band. I think this was my 14th time donating whole blood.

I'm O- so I get calls every 2 months begging for me to donate. I wish I could do it more often.

IMG_0927.JPG

tooz

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2009
As I was saying to Doctor Q - Made my 3rd donation:D but it was april 27th:(

Can I encourage everyone to donate! the nurses are nice, and the needle isn't painful at all! plus you're saving lives!

keep up the good work!

Jeff Meredith

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2007
Colorado
Add another pint to the list

Had my regular blood donation today. Glad it was May and Friday the 13th. I am up to 23 pints at current location. Next one is 3 gallons. Thanks for the blood drive, MacRumors. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.