Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I just gave my 83rd pint on Monday, the 29th. Don't have a bandage to show, but I'll show the new donation pins I got from the Blood Bank of Hawaii, gallons 1 - 6.

So long ago I can't remember when, I signed up for both the Bone Marrow Registry and as an organ donor. Count me in on your blood drive!

And, thanks for spreading the good word about donations. A minority of people donate most of the blood. If more new donors got started and became lifelong donors, many lives could be saved. Every time I give, it feels great because that pint could save someone's life. One day, it may be your own or a loved one's life at stake. It may hurt a little, but it'll feel so good afterwards.

You are a star, wish we all were as giving.

TailsToo

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
New Jersey
Gave plasma at Sloan-Kettering in NYC last month.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 85

bazaarsoft

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2005
iPusch said:
How do they know you are gay, just don't tell them!

That's what I would do.

Because that's one of the more personal questions that they ask.

<soapbox>
You guys are totally missing the point - we shouldn't have to lie about it since it's an utterly ridiculous rule. All blood is thoroughly tested before use for any number of abnormalities so the rule being enforced now is simply another of the religious right's way to discriminate against us and try to make us into pariahs. It isn't working, but they aren't known for rational thought.

The funny thing is that if one of them desperately needed a transfusion to live I can guarantee they'd take it from anyone: gay, straight, black, white, male, female, etc. It's all about trying to maintain power over others and making themselves feel better about their small miserable lives.
</soapbox>

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I urge everyone who can to give blood if they are eligible. Forgetting all the politics, it's one of the most selfless acts one can do and really does help save lives!

Thanks to Macrumors for pushing this again this year!

Traaz

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2013
Big props to Macrumors. My kid's life was saved by bone marrow donated by her sister. She had to have monthly blood transfusions before that.
Unfortunately I can't donate either blood or bone marrow as I am a carrier of a genetic blood disease. I totally appreciate all those that donate. Thanks to all of you.

JAQ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Purgatory MI
Can gay people donate yet?
No. The US still enforces rules left over from the dark ages of AIDS research, when HIV testing was still experimental, and it was thought that restricting blood donations from certain groups of people (in this case, men who have had sex with men any time since the 1970s) would be more effective.

So it is possible for a straight person who engages in high-risk activity to donate blood (e.g. someone who has unprotected sex with a large number of casual partners), but a gay man who does not engage in high-risk activity (e.g. in a long-term monogamous relationship with a person who has consistently tested HIV-negative) cannot donate. Despite that fact that we've known since the 1990s that these criteria miss the mark. This puts the blood supply at slightly greater risk (because of what it allows, even though they test it all for HIV) and more importantly it limits the supply (because of the people it turns away). The demeaning way it treats all gay and bisexual men is just insulting icing on the bad-medicine cake.

samlikesmac

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2010
Let me ask if one of my straight, frat boy friends who has drunken bareback sex with girls tens of dozens of times a year can donate for me. I am unfortunately gay, only have safe sex and remain STD free therefore I don't qualify.

Oh, and btw, if he's had sex with someone he knew was HIV positive, he would only have to wait one year before he could give blood again.

TailsToo

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
New Jersey
My mom had ALS, and passed away in 2007. I was so grateful that so many people gave blood to help her that I've done the same as much as I can ever since. I've given plasma a few times, and even donated bone marrow once. You never know when someone you love will need help, so I feel it's the duty of those of us who can help to do so.

Leipold

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2011
I just received 4 units of A+ blood last week. Thanks a lot to you A+ folks for donating. You are keeping me alive! And, I really appreciate life... big fan.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
Thats Me!

When I gave blood, I was told that just 5% of the US donates. And 36% of that comes from high school blood drives like the one I was part of.

Albright

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2011
To be totally correct on the gay thing; during the pre-donation interview, they will ask you, if you are a man, if you have had sex with another man, and you will be disqualified if so (or, at least, I presume it's very likely). If you are a lesbian or a gay man who has not been sexually active with another man, you're good; on the other hand, if you consider yourself straight but you've had sex with another man before (hey, I won't judge), you're out. (At least as far as California goes; I'm not sure to what degree this may vary by state or country.)

Yes, it's misguided and not fair, but please don't let that discourage you from giving blood if you're eligible. Someone who's having a very bad day and needs your blood to survive shouldn't have to suffer because of some unrelated bureaucracy's misguided policy.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
I used to donate plasma twice a week for over 2 years. It has been a while since I have been back because my wife was sick and have been busy since cause her dad got sick right after.

Because of people like these people donating my wife is still here today. She has/had leukemia and while in the hospital for over a month that blood/platlets donated by people helped save her.

Big thank you to all that do donate and those that spread the word to donate.

Last edited:

scottish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2011
Guess
Wow, where do you live, Iran?

I've never donated blood before. Can someone give me a quick rundown of the side effects?

He/she could well be from the UK. Follows is Scottish National Blood Transfusion Service information. I expect England, NI and Wales is more or less the same.

Sexual relationships

You must not give blood for 12 months after you have had sex with a potentially high risk partner, even if you used a condom or other form of protection.

You must not give blood for at least 12 months if any of the following applies to you:

If you have had sex with a partner who is or you think may be:
- HIV or HTLV positive
- A carrier for Hepatitis B
- A carrier for Hepatitis C.
If you are a man and have had oral or anal sex with another man.
If you are a woman who has had sex with a man who has ever had sex with another man.
If you have had sex with a partner who has, or you think may have, been sexually active in parts of the world where HIV/AIDS are very common. This
includes most countries in Africa. There are exceptions so please ask.
If you have had sex with someone who has ever received money or drugs for sex.
If you have had sex with a partner who has ever injected or been injected with drugs, even if this was only once or a long time ago. This includes body building drugs. You may be able to give if a doctor prescribed these drugs.

You must never give blood if:

You think you need a test for HIV/AIDS, HTLV or Hepatitis.
You are HIV or HTLV positive.
You are a Hepatitis B carrier.
You are a Hepatitis C carrier.
You have ever received money or drugs for sex.
You have ever injected or been injected with drugs; even a long time ago or only once. This includes body building drugs. You may be able to give if a doctor prescribed these drugs. Please ask.

Have done some further research and Northern Ireland hasn't yet adopted the 12 month rule that was introduced in the rest of the UK in 2011. This means that in NI if you have ever had oral/anal sex with a man you are banned for donating for life.

Last edited:

j-beda

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2004
Because that's one of the more personal questions that they ask.

<soapbox>
You guys are totally missing the point - we shouldn't have to lie about it since it's an utterly ridiculous rule. All blood is thoroughly tested before use for any number of abnormalities so the rule being enforced now is simply another of the religious right's way to discriminate against us and try to make us into pariahs. It isn't working, but they aren't known for rational thought.

The funny thing is that if one of them desperately needed a transfusion to live I can guarantee they'd take it from anyone: gay, straight, black, white, male, female, etc. It's all about trying to maintain power over others and making themselves feel better about their small miserable lives.
</soapbox>

I don't know that this is a result of political pressures, though loosening restrictions could have a political element. There have been a number of blood services that have had "tainted blood scandals" due to poor processes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tainted_blood_scandal in Canada, Japan, and France. These sorts of issues are deadly to the recipients of tainted blood, but they also dramatically impact donation rates. National blood services thus are very wary about narrowing the groups that are considered at higher risk. Testing of the blood in the system is not foolproof, so there are good reasons beyond the political to restrict donors. Canada does not seem to have published restrictions, but the questionnaire they use asks about sex with another man, sex with people who lived in Africa, sex for drugs or money, serving in prison, living in the UK and parts of the EU between certain dates, and current illnesses or treatments.

https://www.blood.ca/CentreApps/Internet/UW_V502_MainEngine.nsf/page/ROD Questionnaire

If one is restricted from donating blood, rather than lying to be able to donate, may I encourage anyone to write a letter to the blood service in question in order to try to enact change, and then use your time to assist in recruiting others to donate blood. Go with some classmates or workmates or family members and be even more effective than if you were allowed to donate and just went yourself!

pattsid

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2013
I donated May 2, 2013 to the Canadian Blood Services.

I even created a MacRumors account rather than just being a lurker :)

No pics of the bandage ... but this was my 59th donation.

carson5

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2012
Wow, where do you live, Iran?

I've never donated blood before. Can someone give me a quick rundown of the side effects?

Canada. Been in a monogamous relationship for almost 20 years. Can't donate. Can't be an organ donor either. I didn't know that at first, had to call them and ask them to remove me when I found out I wasn't allowed (I had been on the list for over 15 years before that).

Guess the government would rather see people die than have gay organs in them.

At any rate, that has nothing to do with the people in need - I hope the goals are met!

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Canada. Been in a monogamous relationship for almost 20 years. Can't donate. Can't be an organ donor either. I didn't know that at first, had to call them and ask them to remove me when I found out I wasn't allowed (I had been on the list for over 15 years before that).

Guess the government would rather see people die than have gay organs in them.

At any rate, that has nothing to do with the people in need - I hope the goals are met!

I would gladly take your blood or organs if I needed them Carson. I know that means very little, but I can only speak for myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.