Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
blood_drive_2021_small.jpg

The Twelfth Annual MacRumors Blood Drive runs for the month of May 2021. If you are healthy, we ask you to donate blood, platelets, or plasma this month. Your donation will help other people survive or recover from injury, surgery, or illness. See the Blood and Platelet Donation FAQ for details.

We also ask that you register as an organ donor and register for the bone marrow registry, if you haven't already. You might preserve the life of someone who suffers organ failure, or cure someone of a life-threatening disease like leukemia. See the Organ, Tissue, and Bone Marrow Donation FAQ for details.

Let's save some lives!

A. Participate in the MacRumors Blood Drive during the month of May

1. Donate blood, platelets, or plasma, register as an organ donor, or register as a bone marrow donor

Donate at any donation center in your area. Pick a day when you can spare an hour or two, and make an appointment. Donation centers are taking extra precautions to protect you from the coronavirus.

Registering as an organ donor is easy. Depending on your country, you may be able to register online by filling out a form. You may be asked to sign a donor card or put a sticker on your driver's license. To register to be a stem cell or bone marrow donor, you typically fill out a form and have your cheek swabbed.

Not everyone is eligible to donate blood. There are restrictions on age, weight, donation frequency, health conditions, and a deferral for gay donors. See the Blood donor eligibility thread for the discussion.

Please support our drive whether or not you can donate blood yourself. If you convince someone else to donate, you both earn a spot on the Honor Roll.

2. Let us know about it

The reward for donating or registering is personal satisfaction from helping others. But we want to add to your reward by giving you a well-deserved pat on the back.

After you donate or register, post in this thread and tell us about it. For blood, platelet, and plasma donations, tell us how many units. You can even post a photo of your arm bandage or plaster.

Check out our Honor Roll, where we give you public thanks for your generosity.​

3. Spread the word - #MacRumorsBloodDrive

Let others know about the need for these donations. Share with your followers. Encourage friends, relatives, classmates, and coworkers to donate.

If you or someone in your family has received a blood transfusion, share your story.

And please thank the donors who post here.​

B. Participate the rest of the year

Continue donating blood, platelets, or plasma from June 2021 to April 2022. Each time you do, register your donation on our Team MacRumors page, as follows:
  1. Go to the Team MacRumors 2021-2022 page. Bookmark it for the next time.
  2. Click PLEDGE TO GIVE BLOOD.
  3. Fill in your MacRumors username as your first name and @ macrumors as your last name.
  4. In the Comments field, tell us what type of donation and how many units, e.g., 1 unit of whole blood, 2 units of platelets, etc.
  5. Fill in an email address and zip code. MacRumors won't use that information but the fields are required.
We'll tally your donations from June to April and count them toward the MacRumors Blood Drive and its Honor Roll next May!

C. Two other ways to support the MacRumors Blood Drive
  1. Edit your forum signature and paste in this line:

:) [B][COLOR=red]I support the [thread=2294167]MacRumors Blood Drive[/thread]![/COLOR][/B] :)​

2. Download this image, then use it to set your avatar:
    Blood-Drop-Avatar.png

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
MR-Blood-Drive-Honor-Roll.png

The following MacRumors users have reported their blood, platelet, or plasma donations, either posting in this thread or reporting their donations on last year's Team MacRumors Page.

Members who have just registered for the bone marrow registry or have just registered as an organ donor will also be listed.

This post is updated as donations are reported.

Please help us congratulate and thank these forum members for doing their part to help people in need!

• hallux: 6 blood donations

• rcappo: blood donation

• Timelordprime: 21 platelet donations (2 units each), three with plasma donations

• FloatingBones: 6 blood donations

• Doctor Q: 3 blood donations

• G4-power: 2 blood donations

• scubachap: platelet donation (2 units)

• Weaselboy: 3 blood donations

• Olifant: blood donation

• jbachandouris: blood donation

• Razorpit: blood donation

• jFreeangel1: 3 blood donations

• omglolbbq: plasma donation, bone marrow registrations, organ donor registrations

• chaleyer: platelet donation (2 units)

• walterhpdx: 4 blood donations (2 units each)

• jhfenton: platelet donation (3 units)

• cadal99: blood donation

• goumasgr: plasma donation

• G4-power: blood donation

• iSkippy: 4 blood donations

• Slade Mahoney: blood donation

• JamesMike's teams in Australia, England, New Zealand, and the U.S.: 23 blood donations

• dWolfers: 26 donations, as follows:
    1 blood, platelet, and plasma donation
    11 platelet and plasma donations
    7 platelet donations
    7 plasma donations
  • Phil A.: 2 blood donations

• barbu: blood donation

• Timelordprime: platelet donation (2 units) with plasma donation

• maswriter: blood donation

• Doctor Q: blood donation

• JamesMike's teams in Australia, England, Europe, New Zealand, and the U.S.: 45 blood donations

• rcappo: blood donation

• Timelordprime: platelet donation (2 units)

• JamesMike's team in Finland, Norway, and Sweden: 11 blood donations

• daryl1965: blood donation

• ShawnyRHarvey: blood donation

• thejoshuabradshaw: plasma donation
Totals

Blood donations: 130 units​

Platelet donations: 72 units​

Plasma donations: 26 units​

Bone marrow registrations: 1​

Organ donor registrations: 1​

Total units: 228 units​

Congratulations to every donor!

Comment

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
Donate blood and also being a donor for marrow and Stem Cells as well!

I cannot donate any of those because I received many blood transfusions and also a stem cell transplant as being a cancer survivor after 11+ years.

Reactions: Timelordprime
Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Donate blood and also being a donor for marrow and Stem Cells as well!

I cannot donate any of those because I received many blood transfusions and also a stem cell transplant as being a cancer survivor after 11+ years.

In the U.S., joining the National Bone Marrow Registry is easy: Go to BeTheMatch.org and click Join online to get your cheek-swab kit.

Chances are that you won't hear back after you're registered, but there's a chance that someday someone in need will match you, and you'll be asked to donate stem cells or bone marrow. You can still say no at that time. But if you're willing to proceed, you could save another person's life.

Donating stem cells is much like donating blood, and that's the procedure used 80% of the time. Donating bone marrow (done 20% of the time) requires a minor surgical procedure under anesthesia.

Comment

omglolbbq

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
Scheduled in tomorrow for plasma. This will be my 10th plasma donation. I only donate plasma now as I can donate every fortnight and have done 3 whole blood donations in the past.

Also signed up as an organ donor and put my name down on the bone marrow list :)

Reactions: Timelordprime
Comment

chaleyer

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
Sydney, Oz
Last weeks donation at Red Cross Lifeblood at Sydney Town Hall brought me up to donation #146, with the last 5 donations being double Matched Platelets.
Hoping to hit the 150 mark in August fingers crossed...🤞
And well done everyone !!

Comment

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
I donate 3 units of platelets every 3 weeks to our regional non-profit blood bank. They supply all 31 area hospitals.

The way my schedule falls, I only have one appointment scheduled in May, on May 14.

I used to donate whole blood, but I switched to platelets because it doesn't effect my running.

Comment

goumasgr

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2021
I donated 800ml of plasma yesterday! Trying to donate as often as possible!

Let's go!!

Greetings from Melbourne!

Attachments

• IMG_9718.JPG
    IMG_9718.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: Weaselboy
Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
It's great to see the donors (so far) who have participated in previous MacRumors Blood Drives and are back again this year:

And let's welcome donors who are new to the MacRumors Blood Drives (but not new to donating):

You are saving lives as well as encouraging others to donate by your participation here. Congratulations and thank you!

Comment

JamesMike

macrumors demi-god
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Has anyone encountered being rejected for donating because they did not have COVID vaccination?

My four teams that are participating have started donating, the ladies' team is smoking the guys so far, will give a definitive update tomorrow when I get the weekly totals.

Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Just donated 1 unit of whole blood today!
So glad to be part of this tradition again this year. :)

@G4-power is the first forum member to donate blood in 10 different MacRumors Blood Drives.

@Timelordprime is the first forum member to donate platelets in 10 different MacRumors Blood Drives.

Even more than their participation here, it's their dedication to helping others at any time, year after year, that inspires the rest of us.

Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
A couple of updates to the Honor Roll

NICE!!!
I give blood every 2 months!
I've been doing it since COVID started 1 year ago
I just gave whole blood last week.

@Freeangel1: We've added your two previous donations since last year's MacRumors Blood Drive.

I completely forgot about the blood drive, and donated a Double Red on April 30th. These two pints were my 7th and 8th, passing the gallon mark.

@walterhpdx: We've added your three previous double-red donations since last year's MacRumors Blood Drive.

As regular donors, you both save lives all year long!

Reactions: walterhpdx
Comment

JamesMike

macrumors demi-god
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
The lady's teams is leading the way so far.

England - 4 pints
USA - 6 pints.
Aussie/Kewie - 7 pints

The men's teams need to get a wiggle on!

England - 1 pint
USA - 2 pints
Aussie/Kewie - 3 pints

*No feedback from men and women's Europe teams, hopefully will get updates this week.

Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Donated on Friday:

Makes 87 donations since turning 17 now:
@iSkippy: Congratulations on your 87th donation! It's shocking to think how long it takes to donate blood 50 times, and that someone in an accident might need 50 units all at once.

Donated whole blood yesterday
@Slade Mahoney: Great to see you again. You were one of the donors in the very first MacRumors Blood Drive back in 2010.

The lady's teams is leading the way so far.

England - 4 pints
USA - 6 pints.
Aussie/Kewie - 7 pints

The men's teams need to get a wiggle on!

England - 1 pint
USA - 2 pints
Aussie/Kewie - 3 pints
@JamesMike: You're a champion event organizer. Make sure all of your team members know how much they are appreciated.

The incredible record of donations by @dWolfers over recent months has been added to the Honor Roll: 26 donations totaling 39 units of blood, platelets, and plasma!

Comment

barbu

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
I donated for the 36th time last Friday.
Thanks for organizing the drive!
(And thanks for fixing the thread)

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.