Macrumors air too late to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by AznTakumi, Jan 31, 2012.

1. AznTakumi macrumors regular

I'm thinking of purchasing a 11" i5 macbook but I'm a little worry that it might be too late. Is it too late because apple is releasing a new model soon or this is a perfect time?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm not sure what prices are like at the moment, but if it was me, I think I might just hold off a while.

I have a 13" (mid 2011) and its great, but as you say....If a newbie is in the offing, and you are not in a rush, maybe see what happens.

3. anirudh macrumors 6502

How soon is soon to you? Its going to be around 5-6 months for Apple to release the new airs. If you need one now, get it.

4. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

From various discussions here on MR, folks generally expect the refresh to occur in April or May.

5. AznTakumi thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Wasn't the last refresh during the summer? So the whole new refresh cycle is changed?

6. William.Mantle macrumors 6502

If you need a device now then buy one now... If you're in no rush and can wait then do just that and wait.

7. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

You really can't rely on the Mac Buyer's guide anymore for Macs. They allude more to what's transpired in the past than what's to come in the future.

Now that Apple is focusing on iPhones/iPads and generally, the post-PC era of technology, refreshes of their computers are happening less consistently. Look at the Mac Pro release dates in the Buyer's guide, for example.

Times be a-changin'.

8. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

IMO only if you get a decent deal on it since it's been out for a while. BB's open box deal just ended (Nov-late Jan) and if you looked around you can generally score 100-200 less than official refurbs. If that's not your thing there's a 11 i5/4gb/128gb listed now.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC969LL/A

9. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Mac Pro's I agree. But MacBook Pro's and Airs have been and are cutting edge. I don't expect that to change, especially with the Air line. I don't beleive Apple has lost focus on them, actually quite the opposite.

I would think we'd see an Air refresh by the end of summer and the MBP's before that.?

10. OSMac macrumors 65816

I'd wait for the Ivy Bridge based refresh, it sounds very promising.

The improved battery life, and GPU preformance, should make the wait worthwhile.

Reports are the chips have been in production for sometime for a April release by Intel, would not be surprised to see Apple one of the first to be out with product to compete against the Ultrabook PC craze.

11. JMies419 macrumors 6502

I am in the same boat as you. What are the major changes that ivy bridge will bring that I should wait possibly another 5-6 months? I am not saying waiting is a bad thing but I am just wondering how much it will be worth it. My macbook is on its last leg and ready to die, I can continue to use it and hope it lasts until a update, buy now or buy if it dies before ivy bridge. Lol, I don't know what to do either.

12. AznTakumi thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

At least you have a Mac at the moment. I'm having to walk around campus withs compaq that weights 5.5 pounds

13. JMies419 macrumors 6502

Lol, yeah that sucks. I am leaning to the high end 11 inch or the low end 13 inch just not sure which screen size I will be happy with. I currently have the 13 white macbook which I have been very happy with screen size wise but I need to go to the store and look at the 11. One of the major downsizes to the 11 IMO is the battery life compared to the 13.

14. AznTakumi thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, I'm having the same problem because both computers are nice but the price difference is so little when you are already spending 1000+. I think the 13" air would be better because it does have a faster process, bigger screen, and better battery life.

15. JMies419 macrumors 6502

I agree, but at the same time I wonder if I should get the low end 13 macbook pro instead. Tough decisions!