MacRumors avatar trend

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Zwhaler, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Zwhaler macrumors 604

Zwhaler

I've been noticing more and more users taking their avatars and adjusting the space around them to match the forum color background. I just wanted to say that I approve of this trend :D and I think more people should do it! I did it using the Paint app from the App store... just use color grab to get the exact color and then click away til it's perfect :)

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I wonder if it's not so much a trend but that some people are just using images with transparent backgrounds.

3. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Of course, that color won't be consistent across every platform on which people view the site, so it's best to just use a transparent background as mentioned above. This may be difficult in free image manipulation programs.

Some really innovative people even have these animated GIF things as avatars! :eek:;)

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Thanks for the tip. Here are color values for the grey background if it helps anybody.

[​IMG]

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

How would one go about doing that? Every time I uploaded a transparent avatar it turned the transparent bits white. Just resorted to colour-matching it in the end.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I have no idea. Graphics editing and design isn't one of my strong points.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Same here. Mine was transparent background and turned white when I uploaded. Ended up just matching the background.

8. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I can't figure out how to make an acceptable avatar with a transparent background. Is the only format that MR accepts for images having transparencies, .gif images ?

The avatar looks good as a 75 x 75 pixel .jpg image but doesn't look nearly as good as a 75 x 75 .gif image (Has MR considered going to a 150 x 150 pixel avatar ?) .

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I think, and I'm not completely sure, but .gif, .jpg and .png are all allowable file types to be used.

As far as upping the dimensions of avatar's that's an Arn and admin thing to decide.

10. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Thank you for the help !!!

The .png format was one of the few I didn't try for transparencies in my avatar and it worked :D.

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Hey, cool. I got something right for once. :p