Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Some site visitors and forum members have asked us why we have reduced our color footprint today. We at MacRumors feel that every website should do its part to be a good Internet citizen and conserve bits where possible, so that all websites get their fair share of the zeroes and ones. After all, there are only a finite number of bits on the planet.

Unfortunately, our highly popular live event coverage, as well as our always-busy news/rumors pages and forum discussions, attract quite a bit of Internet traffic. We've tried to mitigate the problem by operating with a small staff, but the popularity of the MacRumors family of sites continues to grow.

Therefore, in recognition of Earth Hour last month, when many cities went dark for an hour, and of the upcoming Earth Day (April 22), MacRumors is showing its responsibility by operating with only one third of the usual number of bits, and using a minimal-color logo designed by forum member acearchie. Scientists estimate that full color consumes a whopping 24 bits per pixel, but that grayscale requires only 8 bits, thereby conserving 67% of this valuable resource. Fewer bits also produce less bit friction, which helps reduce Internet warming.

(We considered switching to black and white, 1 bit per pixel, but that would have reduced the quality of our news reporting, and halftoning would be time-consuming for the workers in our news print shop.)

We believe that every website should strive to be Carbon-neutral, Cocoa-neutral, and Color-neutral. Please help support our efforts.

Thank you.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
If everyone wrote in white we could further reduce our colour footprint and save the endangered dial-up intertubes from collapsing under heavy bandwidth.

forafireescape

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
NJ
It makes sense. Back in the 1950s everything was in monochrome (I've seen old TV shows from the time) and they didn't have bad stuff like global warming back then. That's all the proof I need.

Very true. It's all color's fault. We should just get rid of it altogether.

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
Some site visitors and forum members have asked us why we have reduced our color footprint today. We at MacRumors feel that every website should do its part to be a good Internet citizen and conserve bits where possible, so that all websites get their fair share of the zeroes and ones. After all, there are only a finite number of bits on the planet.

I've noticed that there are a lot of extra 1's and 0's in your logo, Dr. Q. Perhaps you could donate some of those to the cause.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Sweet! I saved my shiny gray "N" avatar (I bet nobody knew that's what it was) for future use!

(The fake "dead pixel" to the lower right of my avatar, which I made for a past April Fool's and never got rid of, worked better in color--it was a nice single-subpixel purple :) And to my knowledge it only ever alarmed one person... that I heard of. )

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I've noticed that there are a lot of extra 1's and 0's in your logo, Dr. Q. Perhaps you could donate some of those to the cause.
It's a hybrid avatar that runs on either binary or trinary. And I get to post in the forum carpool lane.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Those are important stats though, they should be included.
Nowadays the stats cover stuff like litres of energy drinks quaffed, average warmth of wooly gloves worn and the amount of Vicks Vapour Rub applied to the front of the shirt.

We may yearn for the simpler days, but things move on and so must we. Luckily, the most important statistic – pointing average – still remains at the forefront of the modern stats package.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Banning a few members here for 30 days would probably free up 10% of the internet bandwidth.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
More to save if we ban everybody under that count...

Hmmm...that would mean some long needed peace and quiet...maybe, just maybe...

I thought that 70% of the moderators' jobs was just keeping mad_jew inline. Would banning all the sub 10,000 posters really be that much a of a work reduction?

I've been saving my bandwidth by keeping most of my posts in the PRSI and console game forums so that the bandwidth required to increase my post count is minimized.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.