MacRumors-esque PC/Windows Forum? [merged]

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by barr08, May 5, 2009.

1. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

All,

I have participated in a number of forums over the years, and never have I found one that is more mature, helpful, and broad than this one. I have resolved countless technology issues thanks to the help of this forum and it's members, and I have tried to pitch in where I could as well.

However, computer needs change, and I recently switched my primary computer over to a Dell Studio XPS running Windows XP x64. I am pleased with the rig, but of course, there are issues. I need a place to discuss, debate, and solve problems that arise while using my PC - the "Windows on a Mac" forum has been helpful, but will not be able to serve as the source of information that I need.

To that end, I am wondering if anyone knows of a forum that you could call this forum's PC equivalent. I am looking for the same kind of semi-casual but helpful and mature atmosphere I get here, but with a Windows OS and non-Apple hardware focus. If anyone has any good experiences with a site like this, could you please share?

Thanks for your input!

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You could try Arstechnica.com, it may be a little techie though.

3. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

The nearest thing I have ever come across to a windows version of macrumors is www.majorgeeks.com
    I used to use their support forum a lot before I switched over to Mac and found it relatively helpful. (Not as good as MR though, :p )

4. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

These look like a great start. Thanks!

This looks great for the really technical things. Thanks!

5. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

There are lots of PC users/enthusiasts on MR as well. Eidorian especially. MR owns! :p

6. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

I've had a lot of good experience here as far as solving some of my PC issues. The problem is that the "Windows on a Mac" forum is just that - a forum to discuss boot camp, parallels, etc. As members point out in just about every thread I create in that forum, questions about Windows on a Dell computer are out of place. I am just trying to keep everything here the way it is (if it ain't broke, don't fix it!).

That being said, most of the PC forums I have been looking at (from this thread and elsewhere) have a small forum dedicated to Mac stuff. Perhaps we could use this logic here and create a legitimate PC board?

7. Frisco macrumors 68020

That's actually a very good idea!

8. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

I've used PC Pit Stop a lot in the past:

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/

The people on the malware forum are a fantastic help :D

Cheers.

-J.-

9. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

"actually"? You sound suprised :p

10. Fake Hipster macrumors member

See, in how many PC forums could you ask the same question and get such helpful answers?

(that was 90% not serious)

11. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I personally think this is a good idea too. There are often new threads started about PC products and plenty of users here own PCs and have experience with them, and we already have a Windows dedicated section.

Maybe we could have one dedicated to non-Mac computers and operating systems, since we also get Linux questions too.

12. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Interesting idea. An "other OS" forum for Linux, Windows etc. It could open up a can of worms if it were to become super popular as the PC market is much bigger than mac as we all know. Still couldn't hurt to have a separate section for non mac OSs.

13. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

www.computerforum.com

This site had the most helpful people I found, quick responses, great grammer and very experienced members (just like MR :D)

14. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Nothing wrong with using Windows computers. I sold my MBP and black MB last summer and bought two HP laptops instead. Been using them ever since. Sometimes I wish they had a forum for such here. The one here is about running Windows on a Mac.

Oh by the way, a Mac is a PC.

15. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

Argh it really annoys me when people say this. The mac is a personal computer, yes, but 9 times out of 10, when someone uses the term "PC", you know exactly what they are referring to.

You aren't invited to the new forum.

16. davbeck macrumors regular

Windows Forum

This may sound odd, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a forum as good as mac rumors but for windows?

17. ethical macrumors 68000

I've wondered the same thing in the past and have never come across anything as good as mac rumours.

18. AngryApple macrumors 6502

hppt://pcworld.com/ is an excellent website for PC-related stuff. They also have a forum here. They seem to have a fairly nice community at the forum.

19. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

20. davbeck macrumors regular

geeks.pirillo.com provides great support for Man, Windows and Linux.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, technically its right but in reality its not. Besides, calling a Mac a PC is just wrong on so many levels.;)

22. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

pcrumors.com Is definitely the closest it will ever come...