Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
I was just wondering if there is a redesign of MacRumors planned for the near future? IMO opinion a redesign is badly needed (no offence meant to anyone), the site looks like MacRumors OS 9. Maybe an aqua theme? Just something new.

Don

Dejavu

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
I guess they are still looking.
[thread]398860[/thread]

When you have an established site, one of the most tumultuous events that can happen is a major site redesign. No matter what the changes are, no matter what the improvements are, there is always a very vocal group of people who simply hate it.

Now, to be fair to those users, changing the look and feel of a site that they’ve grown accustomed to is certainly a disorienting experience.

The fear of a site-redesign has what kept MacRumors in its current form for the past 4 [now 6] years. But lately I’ve decided that its time to look into a site redesign and we’re starting to look for the right designer to do it.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
This has been brought up a few times before. I don't know much about vBulletin. I wonder how customizable it is?

vBulletin is very customizable when it comes to appearance. Go look at a few vBulletin sites.

I guess they are still looking.
[thread]398860[/thread]

I should have MRoogled this before I posted. Sorry!!!

But it's great that Arn is trying to find a designer to update the site. Hope it happens soon!

Don

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Arn's been busy. The whole thing was put onto the back burner for a while. Hopefully, with WildCowboy now fully on board, we might see some progress in resolving some longstanding items on the to-do list.

I think establishing what exactly needs to be accomplished with a redesign is still being finessed to some extent. It's not just enough to want to make it look nicer.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Arn's been busy. The whole thing was put onto the back burner for a while. Hopefully, with WildCowboy now fully on board, we might see some progress in resolving some longstanding items on the to-do list.

I think establishing what exactly needs to be accomplished with a redesign is still being finessed to some extent. It's not just enough to want to make it look nicer.
It's also apparent that arn is capable of making a site look nice, even if he just hires the right person. Appshopper is testament to that. Very good looking and very functional.

In my opinion, Neowin.net is an example of what a news/forum site can be. It's gorgeous. They use IPB though, which I find a lot more asthetically pleasing in general. VB usually just looks dated no matter what lengths the designer has gone to.

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
I was look through Smashing Magazine's 'Web Design Trends for 2009' post the other day and saw this:

trend-11.jpg

www.newspond.com

And it's just an idea, but it looks close to Apple's UI without being the same. Obviously you can't copy it or do it exactly the same way, but you can do it similar. Just a thought. :)

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
3.8 is out now. Why upgrade to old technology? haha
Until the crew can make sure that the new version is stable and won't crash everything then maybe they will upgrade. A lot of hacks are put into the system to make MR run the way it does. Plus there will be a lot of down time during the upgrade so I hope everyone is ready to be without MR for a day. If the current version still runs I don't think it will be upgraded anytime soon.

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
I should have said vBulletin based forums. Here are some examples:

Mac-Forums
MacNN
Apple Insider

Thanks for the links!

Don

EDIT: I just noticed that MacNN and Apple Insider are running vBulletin version 3.7.4 (not sure on Mac-Forums) and we here on MacRumors are running 3.6.10.

thanks for the shout out!
I am an interactive art director and I am very interested in hooking MR up with a modern, beautiful, and most importantly usable, new interface.

Hopefully if Arn decides to get back to this he'll contact me. (I've contacted him but I understand he's busy)

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
thanks for the shout out!
I am an interactive art director and I am very interested in hooking MR up with a modern, beautiful, and most importantly usable, new interface.

Hopefully if Arn decides to get back to this he'll contact me. (I've contacted him but I understand he's busy)

If it's not to much to ask. Would you by chance post a mockup of what you were thinking? Just curious:D

Don

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
If it's not to much to ask. Would you by chance post a mockup of what you were thinking? Just curious:D

Don

This is as far as i got in the other thread:

attachment.php

The sidebars hadn't changed yet in this design so that's why they're grayed out

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
It's also apparent that arn is capable of making a site look nice, even if he just hires the right person. Appshopper is testament to that. Very good looking and very functional.

In my opinion, Neowin.net is an example of what a news/forum site can be. It's gorgeous. They use IPB though, which I find a lot more asthetically pleasing in general. VB usually just looks dated no matter what lengths the designer has gone to.

Like it said up above, you can't please everyone and that's one of the hardest things.. While you think that site is gorgeous (and I'm not discounting your taste), I don't like it.

Then again, short of maybe a few color changes I think MR is nice and like Hobbbz mockup as its not a drastic change; just modernization. :)

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
Like it said up above, you can't please everyone and that's one of the hardest things.. While you think that site is gorgeous (and I'm not discounting your taste), I don't like it.

Then again, short of maybe a few color changes I think MR is nice and like Hobbbz mockup as its not a drastic change; just modernization. :)

Actually it looks like i was further along than i had posted last. Here is the latest iteration hot off my HD:

Attachments

• redesign.jpg
    redesign.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 109

tominated

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2006
Queensland, Australia
Actually it looks like i was further along than i had posted last. Here is the latest iteration hot off my HD:

i don't mind it, but you have to account for everything. where is the forum menu gonna go for example?

actually, when i get home tonight i'm gonna mock one up just for kicks

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i've been here a while. i like the functionality of the forums. but i do agree that some updates would be nice to see. just some modernization as was alluded too above. things do look a bit clunky here and there, but things work and overall, that is more important than styling. i do look at the forums quite a bit throughout the day though... so changes might be pleasant to the eye.

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
i don't mind it, but you have to account for everything. where is the forum menu gonna go for example?

actually, when i get home tonight i'm gonna mock one up just for kicks

Yep. I totally agree. I was focusing on the front page and hoping that would carry over to the forum. The forum's secondary menu would most likely be in a solid colored bar just below the maroon bar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.