MacRumors Facelift?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Dmac77, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I was just wondering if there is a redesign of MacRumors planned for the near future? IMO opinion a redesign is badly needed (no offence meant to anyone), the site looks like MacRumors OS 9. Maybe an aqua theme? Just something new.

Don

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    This has been brought up a few times before. I don't know much about vBulletin. I wonder how customizable it is?

3. Dejavu macrumors regular

Dejavu

I guess they are still looking.
    [thread]398860[/thread]

4. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

vBulletin is very customizable when it comes to appearance. Go look at a few vBulletin sites.

I should have MRoogled this before I posted. Sorry!!!

But it's great that Arn is trying to find a designer to update the site. Hope it happens soon!

Don

5. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    That just came out wrong, right? :confused:

Here's another thread where Hobbz gave it a shot.

6. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I should have said vBulletin based forums. Here are some examples:

Mac-Forums
    MacNN
    Apple Insider

Thanks for the links!

Don

EDIT: I just noticed that MacNN and Apple Insider are running vBulletin version 3.7.4 (not sure on Mac-Forums) and we here on MacRumors are running 3.6.10.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Arn's been busy. The whole thing was put onto the back burner for a while. Hopefully, with WildCowboy now fully on board, we might see some progress in resolving some longstanding items on the to-do list.

I think establishing what exactly needs to be accomplished with a redesign is still being finessed to some extent. It's not just enough to want to make it look nicer.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's also apparent that arn is capable of making a site look nice, even if he just hires the right person. Appshopper is testament to that. Very good looking and very functional.

In my opinion, Neowin.net is an example of what a news/forum site can be. It's gorgeous. They use IPB though, which I find a lot more asthetically pleasing in general. VB usually just looks dated no matter what lengths the designer has gone to.

11. MrM macrumors 6502

12. monke macrumors 65816

monke

I was look through Smashing Magazine's 'Web Design Trends for 2009' post the other day and saw this:

[​IMG]
    www.newspond.com

And it's just an idea, but it looks close to Apple's UI without being the same. Obviously you can't copy it or do it exactly the same way, but you can do it similar. Just a thought. :)

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Until the crew can make sure that the new version is stable and won't crash everything then maybe they will upgrade. A lot of hacks are put into the system to make MR run the way it does. Plus there will be a lot of down time during the upgrade so I hope everyone is ready to be without MR for a day. If the current version still runs I don't think it will be upgraded anytime soon.

14. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

15. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It ain't broke but it sure is ugly.

16. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

MacRumors has a face that only a mother could love (no offense Arn).

Don

17. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

thanks for the shout out!
    I am an interactive art director and I am very interested in hooking MR up with a modern, beautiful, and most importantly usable, new interface.

Hopefully if Arn decides to get back to this he'll contact me. (I've contacted him but I understand he's busy)

18. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

If it's not to much to ask. Would you by chance post a mockup of what you were thinking? Just curious:D

Don

19. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

This is as far as i got in the other thread:

[​IMG]

The sidebars hadn't changed yet in this design so that's why they're grayed out

20. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

Like it said up above, you can't please everyone and that's one of the hardest things.. While you think that site is gorgeous (and I'm not discounting your taste), I don't like it.

Then again, short of maybe a few color changes I think MR is nice and like Hobbbz mockup as its not a drastic change; just modernization. :)

21. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

Actually it looks like i was further along than i had posted last. Here is the latest iteration hot off my HD:

Attached Files:

22. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

i don't mind it, but you have to account for everything. where is the forum menu gonna go for example?

actually, when i get home tonight i'm gonna mock one up just for kicks

23. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i've been here a while. i like the functionality of the forums. but i do agree that some updates would be nice to see. just some modernization as was alluded too above. things do look a bit clunky here and there, but things work and overall, that is more important than styling. i do look at the forums quite a bit throughout the day though... so changes might be pleasant to the eye.

24. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

Yep. I totally agree. I was focusing on the front page and hoping that would carry over to the forum. The forum's secondary menu would most likely be in a solid colored bar just below the maroon bar.

25. smirking macrumors 6502a

Would you use the site 150% more if it looked better?