Macrumors for Windows

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMacZealot, Apr 21, 2007.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I'm starting to use Windows a lot more (unfortunately), and I have a lot of questions, and I don't think most of you would be able to answer them, plus, this site doesn't cater to that kind of thing, so I need to find a Windows forum I could pop my head in every month and ask some mundane newbie question. What's a good Windows site that has almost as many members as MR?

Thanks!

2. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

6. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

The forum for you, and anyone else who thinks Mac's have problems, is this one.

7. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

[Hard]|Forum is a great PC site (has everything PC related like mobo's, etc. but also has tons of stuff on LCD's, and pretty much anything) It's like a Macrumors PC-version. They let a little bit more go in the way of trash talking etc., dirty humor, etc. more than the MR Mods, which I happen to like often times. But if you can get through that, most of them know what they're talking about. They usually have more active members than MR who post more often, and there are around 85,000 members or something.

Also, ARS' forums are very good as well.

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Well, thanks. :rolleyes:

...But if you must, the people at http://computing.net/ are very knowledgeable.

9. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Give us a link to your post to see if any of us here could maybe help.

B

11. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I don't quite understand where the files you want to copy live? is it on the Gateway that was running 2K, but is now running XP? If so, it should be as simple as, share the folder on the XP box, connect to the SMB share in Finder, drag & drop.

As for print screen, Windows XP gives you only two options out of the box. Full screen or current/active window. To get the latter hold down alt when you hit printscreen. I usually use the Photo Editor that comes with Office to crop, compress and save such screen shots. There are third party apps that might be easier.

B

13. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

CD/DVD burner? Thumbdrive? ... :p

Would be so much more interesting if the machine was non functional, I'm hoping that's the case.

B

15. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Floppy Disk? ;)

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Haven't figured out how to get one into the slot loading drive of my iMac or iBook though. Maybe if I take off the plastic case?

Carrier pigeon?

B

17. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You must not be pushing hard enough.

18. bartelby macrumors Core

These work just fine:

[​IMG]

19. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

"The Turtle" (its new official name in XP, and my nickname for it) has a CD ROM only. Pretty bad for 2001, and pretty bad for a high-end all-in-one PC. It's barely functional. One day, either I moved it or got frustrated and hit it, or it just got old, but the fan is always at full blast. Have no clue why, but it sounds like I have an A380 down the hall. I don't think I did anything to it, though, because my dad's office has a ton of them just like it that do the same thing.

20. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Oh, a few more things:

>I'd like to do the same thing with our Dell from 1997 running Windows 95 that's lacking a display, if possible.

>The Gateway may be finding its way to my dad's office, where it'll be used by a nurse, who will probably someday take it home, who will probably someday sell it. How do I get rid of absolutely EVERYTHING?

21. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

My best suggestion is to find a display. :eek: (...or you could take the HD out, buy an enclosure, and hook it up to your mac).

Reformat. This is usually easiest if you still have the system disks (and your Windows XP upgrade disk). Do you still have them?

22. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Not sure if I can do this because the display I used to use on it also needed a power supply, and my mom and I mistakenly threw away the cable that connected it to the computer. My point is, the display was really old, and I'm not sure if a new one would work.

Have no idea how to do that. I know how to reinstall an operating system (done that countless times), but, to my understanding, unlike Mac OS 9/X, not everything is gone on a PC if you delete and reinstall, correct? I know I have the Windows 2000 disks, but I'm not sure where the XP one is. I actually won it in an auction at a computer camp, which caused me to switch in the end. I wish I had gotten Final Cut in the auction instead. :)

23. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

All PCs have had & supported plain old 640x480 VGA standard connectors and modes for ~15 years, so you're pretty safe that any display you connect will work well enough in safe mode to get what you need done. Just borrow a display from one of your other boxes.

FWIW many "brand name" PCs (Dell/Gateway/HP) actually have built in restore capability on the HDD. look around and see if there's a hidden folder or partition that might contain the XP installer or a custom restore scheme.

Personally, this is the point where I tend to remove the HDD from the older machines stuck it in a USB enclosure and copy/wipe off all the data that way.

Silly me! I was trying some of these I had lying around.

[​IMG]

B