MacRumors Forums: accessibility

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by grahamperrin, Jun 14, 2015.

1. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

A shortlist (hopefully not long) of issues that may affect accessibility of the site.

Whether any of these were present before the change to XenForo, I'll not attempt to guess.

https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/search?query=accessibility finds nine titles but none with the word accessibility.

One issue per post, please. I'll begin …

2. grahamperrin thread starter macrumors 601

grahamperrin

3. grahamperrin thread starter macrumors 601

grahamperrin

VoiceOver draws attention to confusing interfaces to search routines

A magnifying glass. Point, refrain from clicking. An on-screen word, "search". A spoken phrase, "search group". Click.

Or, a point and then a click on the icon plus a minuscule, inadvertent movement – not enough to move away from the icon – might produce the following speech:

"Search group. Search forum. Enter your search and hit enter. Search text field. Options group."

– all before the first entry.

And so on. Try it for yourselves; enable VoiceOver, squint heavily and then approach the magnifying glass icon as if you had never before used the MacRumors Forums implementation of a magnifying glass search group options group.

I'm invited to enter a search term. And again: enter. Before the first entry: know that it's a search text field. It's also an options group. Am I to double enter a search term into an options group field? What's a search group options group?

And/or if I click the icon twice, without double-clicking, the routine sounds very different.

I can go ahead check with friends and fellow testers who use Macs and who are registered blind … but without going that far, I'm fairly sure that the current arrangement is not nearly as accessible as it should be.

Background:

4. grahamperrin thread starter macrumors 601

grahamperrin

The change for desktop users should make the interface sound better.

Vertical line speeches

Invisible, but spoken.

If the lines are used for spacing, aim for something less noisy.

Thanks!