macrumors forums are resource intensive

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by jerwin, Jun 29, 2017.

1. jerwin macrumors 65816

I've been noticing that threads on macrumors forums frequently will induce 100% load on a CPU core. I'm using safari. I'm using an iMac, so, I really don't have cause to complain, but there are people who use slower, battery powered devices.

I'm talking about threads with a lot of embeds...

2. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Hmmm. I've never experienced this. The maximum CPU usage I've gotten from MacRumors has been about 4% (i.e. 32% of a virtual core... If my arithmetic isn't screwed, hehe).

3. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

I've had the phenomenon, but not recently. It seems to be related to specific ads, rather than the forums as a whole.

4. HDFan macrumors 6502

I had memory issues (MacRumor using 32 GB of memory) which caused my system to crash. It was suggested that I install an ad blocker. Installed Adblock Plus and haven't had any problems since.

5. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

WOW 32GB of memory?! lol. That's amazing. haha. Alternative to ad blocker --- <cough> - Become a contributor and there will be no ads when you're browsing the forums and Macrumors gets funding. https://forums.macrumors.com/account/upgrades

But an ad taking 32gb of memory - yeah totally understand adblock. That's horrible. :D

6. HDFan macrumors 6502

I am a contributor.

7. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Hmmm. My ads have always behaved nicely. Most be a region specific thing? Perhaps the ads that get served to people in specific areas are worse than other areas?
    In general on the web, I never use adblockers because my ads always behave nicely and I don't see the point. No full screen ones, not that many that track you, none that use a lot of resources.

Also, since OS X/macOS uses virtual memory paging, even incredibly high memory usage shouldn't crash the system. I mean, maybe if it's more than your free hard drive space + RAM combined, but that should be rather unlikely. And even then there should be safeguards so only the one process causing issues should quit. Weird.

8. HDFan macrumors 6502

Yeah, very weird. My internal SSD is small (1 TB) but I do have 64 GB of RAM. I would get the "out of application memory" error message even though activity monitor showed that there was some free memory left. Once that error occurs even if I kill Safari and free up all that memory most of the remaining applications aren't responding and I have to reboot.