Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jerwin

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 13, 2015
I've been noticing that threads on macrumors forums frequently will induce 100% load on a CPU core. I'm using safari. I'm using an iMac, so, I really don't have cause to complain, but there are people who use slower, battery powered devices.

I'm talking about threads with a lot of embeds...

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I've been noticing that threads on macrumors forums frequently will induce 100% load on a CPU core. I'm using safari. I'm using an iMac, so, I really don't have cause to complain, but there are people who use slower, battery powered devices.

I'm talking about threads with a lot of embeds...

Hmmm. I've never experienced this. The maximum CPU usage I've gotten from MacRumors has been about 4% (i.e. 32% of a virtual core... If my arithmetic isn't screwed, hehe).

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I had memory issues (MacRumor using 32 GB of memory) which caused my system to crash. It was suggested that I install an ad blocker. Installed Adblock Plus and haven't had any problems since.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I had memory issues (MacRumor using 32 GB of memory) which caused my system to crash. It was suggested that I install an ad blocker. Installed Adblock Plus and haven't had any problems since.

WOW 32GB of memory?! lol. That's amazing. haha. Alternative to ad blocker --- <cough> - Become a contributor and there will be no ads when you're browsing the forums and Macrumors gets funding. https://forums.macrumors.com/account/upgrades

But an ad taking 32gb of memory - yeah totally understand adblock. That's horrible. :D

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark

Hmmm. My ads have always behaved nicely. Most be a region specific thing? Perhaps the ads that get served to people in specific areas are worse than other areas?
In general on the web, I never use adblockers because my ads always behave nicely and I don't see the point. No full screen ones, not that many that track you, none that use a lot of resources.

Also, since OS X/macOS uses virtual memory paging, even incredibly high memory usage shouldn't crash the system. I mean, maybe if it's more than your free hard drive space + RAM combined, but that should be rather unlikely. And even then there should be safeguards so only the one process causing issues should quit. Weird.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Also, since OS X/macOS uses virtual memory paging, even incredibly high memory usage shouldn't crash the system. I mean, maybe if it's more than your free hard drive space + RAM combined, but that should be rather unlikely. And even then there should be safeguards so only the one process causing issues should quit. Weird.

Yeah, very weird. My internal SSD is small (1 TB) but I do have 64 GB of RAM. I would get the "out of application memory" error message even though activity monitor showed that there was some free memory left. Once that error occurs even if I kill Safari and free up all that memory most of the remaining applications aren't responding and I have to reboot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.