MacRumors Gift Guide by Mitch: Pad & Quill Accessories, HoverBar for iPad, Beats Pill, and More

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 11, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Throughout the week, MacRumors writers and editors have been sharing their gift guides to help our readers pick out the best surprises for everyone on their holiday list this year. Following Juli and Joe, today's my turn to detail a list of Apple-related products perfect for gift giving.

This third gift guide was written by me, Mitchel Broussard, with a focus on the third-party accessories I tend to use the most. Outside of that realm, there's a handful of items here that I don't own, but which I've had my eyes on over the years and that I've heard positive things about from friends and family. All-in-all, everything in the guide should satisfy the Apple Watch, MacBook, iPad, and iPhone owners on your own personal shopping list.

Apple Watch Gift Ideas

One of the best third-party Apple accessory manufacturers is Pad & Quill, whose products are well worth investing in if you're willing to spend a little extra money. With a big focus on products made from natural leathers and woodgrains, the company's entire lineup is infused with a homemade, natural feel that tends to gel nicely with Apple's slick design. I thankfully got a few of their Apple Watch products in to review this year, and I've stuck with using most on a daily basis.

Pad & Quill Timber Nightstand ($89.95) / Timber Catchall ($99.00)

The Pad & Quill Timber Nightstand is the go-to home base for my Apple Watch. Its footprint is compact enough to fit on a small bedside table, but roomy enough to provide extra space for a band or two to hang out behind the charging cradle. The stand comes in two attractive color options (I have the lighter American Cherry, but Exotic Sapele will be perfect for those who prefer a darker stand) and supports Nightstand Mode, along with both closed-loop and open-loop bands.

[​IMG]
    The Timber Nightstand (left) and Timber Catchall (right)​

Even with all of that aside, my favorite part of the Timber Nightstand is its sturdiness; it feels solid and substantial, despite its small 4.7 by 6.2 inch frame. Still, if you're looking for bigger, Pad & Quill sells the somewhat massive Timber Catchall as well, which will net you a resting spot for your iPhone and a nook for change or keys for about $10 more than the Timber Nightstand (both models vary in price, depending on wood grain).

Pad & Quill Classic Apple Watch Band ($99.95)

On the wearable side, Pad & Quill's Classic Apple Watch Band is a nice alternative to Apple's Classic Buckle, and at $99 you can save around $50 if choosing to go with Pad & Quill's leather band. I wore the Chocolate Leather version pretty much daily during the early fall months and genuinely loved the look of it. Like most true leather products, the band begins to fold and crack and fade over the weeks to give it a personal, used-in quality. Although it may not have the Classic Buckle's clean edges and slim clasping mechanism, it's arguably the second-best high-quality leather Apple Watch band out there right now.

[​IMG]
    The Classic Apple Watch Band in Chocolate by Pad & Quill

Check out the Lowry Leather Band ($109.95) and Lowry Leather Cuff ($129.95) for alternative, more intricate designs. All of the company's bands are sitting in pre-order states currently, but are promised to arrive before Christmas. The Classic Band option I first mentioned also lets you choose the metal color to match the Apple Watch's casing, so be sure to know whether the person on your list has a stainless steel or space black stainless steel Apple Watch.

[​IMG]
    The Lowry Leather Band (left) and Lowry Leather Cuff (right)​

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: MacRumors Gift Guide by Mitch: Pad & Quill Accessories, HoverBar for iPad, Beats Pill, and More

2. MrFeezy macrumors newbie

MrFeezy

What's with these names like Pad & Quill? Feels like a big trend along with mustaches, suspenders, and selvage denim.

3. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

You can get plenty of well reviewed third-party watch bands on Amazon for like $25-30, no need to pay almost Apple prices for non-Apple products.

4. boberonicus macrumors newbie

I really appreciate a non-corporate guide like this. Highly based on your personal experiences, tastes, and interests.

5. jurou macrumors newbie

jurou

Hello :) Now many people have same style smart phones and I like to be different... For my iphone or macbook I like tu use wood or wool felt cases I got one from spigen.com was realy good and one from http://cuddle-cuddle.com/ :) was made from wool