Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For this week's giveaway, we've teamed up with G-Technology to offer MacRumors readers a chance to win either a 1TB G-Drive Slim USB-C SSD or a 1TB G-Drive Mobile USB-C hard drive.

The G-Drive Slim USB-C SSD is an ideal accessory to use with either the MacBook or the new MacBook Pro, both of which are equipped with USB-C ports. Available in 500GB or 1TB capacities for $229.95 or $379.95, respectively, the G-Drive Slim is lightweight and portable with a sleek aluminum casing in Silver or Space Gray that matches Apple products.

gdriveslim2.jpg

It features USB 3.1 Gen 2 technology and supports transfer speeds of up to 540MB/s. It's bus-powered and while designed for USB-C machines, it also ships with a USB-C to USB-A cable for use with older Macs.

gdriveslim.jpg

The G-Drive USB-C Mobile is similar to the Slim SSD, but it's more affordable at $119.95 and features a 1TB 7200 RPM hard drive. The G-Drive USB-C Mobile features support for USB 3.1 Gen 1 with transfer speeds of up to 136MB/s.

It's also made from a lightweight aluminum and is small enough to be tucked into a purse, pocket, or backpack. It comes in Silver, Gold, Space Gray, and Rose Gold to match Apple's line of MacBooks. The Rose Gold, which we're giving away, is an Apple-exclusive color (and it's on sale from Apple.com as part of Apple's USB-C sale). Like the Slim SDD, it comes with both a USB-C to USB-C cable and a USB-C to USB-A cable for use with older machines.

gdrivehdd.jpg

To enter to win our giveaway for either a 1TB G-Drive Slim USB-C SSD or a 1TB G-Drive Mobile USB-C hard drive, use the Rafflecopter widget below and enter an email address. Email addresses will be used solely for contact purposes to reach the winner and send the prize. You can earn additional entries by subscribing to our weekly newsletter, subscribing to our YouTube channel, following us on Twitter, or visiting the MacRumors Facebook page.

Due to the complexities of international laws regarding giveaways, only U.S. residents who are 18 years of age or older are eligible to enter. To offer feedback or get more information on the giveaway restrictions, please refer to our Site Feedback section, as that is where discussion of the rules will be redirected.

The contest will run from today (December 30) at 9:00 a.m. Pacific Time through 9:00 a.m. Pacific Time on January 6. The winners will be chosen randomly on January 6 and will be contacted by email. The winners will have 48 hours to respond and provide a shipping address before new winners are chosen.

Article Link: MacRumors Giveaway: Win a G-Drive USB-C SSD or HDD From G-Technology

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I hope I win this because I could really use a large portable SSD right now. My old Seagate RAID 0 portable SSD has been acting up and not mounting or taking forever to mount (don't worry, it's backed up elsewhere). I need something fast to store my Lightroom catalog on. Only problem is my catalog it bigger than 1TB. I've been going through it cleaning it up and removing bad photos, out of focus shots, etc. I might also look into archiving my older photos so they're not on the drive. I feel like SSDs don't increase in capacity fast enough to meet my needs. I might need two of them, but the problem with that is only one library can sync with Lightroom mobile and I love using that on my iPad to go through my catalog and make quick edits.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
I just had a HDD in a RAID0 array go tits up as well. Now I have only two data copies, one on my boot drive and then one backup drive. That makes me nervous.

But what I really want is that 1TB SSD. It may even make a good excuse to buy a new Mac with USB-C!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Quite a few years ago I bought a HD from G-Tech, wasn't bad but wasn't good enough to justify the high price I paid for it.
The drive is actually still working but it's PATA.

I always enter these things but never win and forget to ever check who wins or if they ever announce it.

The chance you win here is probably less than getting hit by lightning.;)
Sorry, couldn't resist.:p

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Quite a few years ago I bought a HD from G-Tech, wasn't bad but wasn't good enough to justify the high price I paid for it.
The drive is actually still working but it's PATA.

Actually, you would be surprised...
I know someone entered these drawings less than 30 times in total and got picked twice. Lucky one...

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
I'll take a free one but I'd never pay 230 bucks for something I could make myself with a $109 512GB SSD and $20 USB-C enclosure that supported UASP and get the exact same performance and form factor for a hundred bucks less. These markups are ridiculous.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
I'll take a free one but I'd never pay 230 bucks for something I could make myself with a $109 512GB SSD and $20 USB-C enclosure that supported UASP and get the exact same performance and form factor for a hundred bucks less. These markups are ridiculous.

So why are you an Apple consumer?

Reactions: mateytate

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
So why are you an Apple consumer?
... because I can't build a MacBook? Or an iPhone? Or an Apple Watch? Or an iPad?

I can, however, easily assemble an external SSD drive for a fraction of the cost of third party solutions like this, thus saving money that can otherwise be used to purchase all of the above mentioned Apple products

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
... because I can't build a MacBook? Or an iPhone? Or an Apple Watch? Or an iPad?

I can, however, easily assemble an external SSD drive for a fraction of the cost of third party solutions like this, thus saving money that can otherwise be used to purchase all of the above mentioned Apple products

LOL, Apple isn't the only tech company in the world, you know?

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
LOL, Apple isn't the only tech company in the world, you know?
They are the only one making the above products utilitizing the iTunes ecosystem, which the competition has never given me enough reason to dump and repurchase all the apps I currently own and use daily. If it makes you feel better I have an Amazon Fire HD tablet I use at the gym and an Echo in the kitchen for music and such.

Jerrysalem

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2009
As my library grows it is surprising that the iMac still has only 1Tb drive.
I need this for my overflowing library of music.

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
I just had a HDD in a RAID0 array go tits up as well. Now I have only two data copies, one on my boot drive and then one backup drive. That makes me nervous.

But what I really want is that 1TB SSD. It may even make a good excuse to buy a new Mac with USB-C!
I used to use HDDs striped too, but nah, it's still slow for non-sequential I/O. Your system or a database should run much better on an SSD.
[doublepost=1483345303][/doublepost]Why are these so expensive? The SSDs alone are around $100 less.
[doublepost=1483345488][/doublepost]
As my library grows it is surprising that the iMac still has only 1Tb drive.
I need this for my overflowing library of music.
Just FYI, if you don't win this SSD, HDDs are much cheaper* and should work just as well for your music library.

* ~$30/TiB for low-end SATA HDD vs ~$300/TiB for low-end SATA SSD

Last edited:

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I guess I still can't get used to SSD pricing since you can get an external 2.5" 2TB drive that size for $79. Is it really worth another $300 for a little bit more speed and half the storage when relatively slow media files are the #1 thing stored on large external hard drives?

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
I used to use HDDs striped too, but nah, it's still slow for non-sequential I/O. Your system or a database should run much better on an SSD.

Oh definitely, I only use HDD's for backup or audio/video libraries. I'm rockin' a Samsung SM951 boot drive in my Mac Pro. :p

Unfortunately the G-Drive SSD is a bit of a dog. I'd probably just go for the HDD and use it for backup.

Reactions: sudo1996

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT

Did I ever tell you I was struck by lightning 7 times? Once when I was just minding my own business in a field.

Last edited by a moderator:

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
Correction. SATA is a bit of a dog. That is the reason it caps out on 550/500 MB/sec.

But the G-Drive SSD uses SATA, so it's a bit of a dog.

Though it's rather funny that only a decade ago it would have been considered insanely fast. Storage speeds are now like the processor upgrades of the 90s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.