Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For this week's giveaway, we've teamed up with Astropad to offer MacRumors readers a chance to win a Luna Display adapter that can turn an extra Mac or iPad into a secondary display for a primary Mac.

luna-display-macbook.jpg

Priced at $130, the Luna Display adapter dongle is designed to plug into a Mac using a USB-C port (on newer Macs) or a Mini DisplayPort, and when paired up with the Luna Display software, a main Mac (or even a PC) can be connected to an iPad or another Mac using Wifi.

With this setup, you can take advantage of old hardware or add an extra display to your workflow without having to spend money on another device.

lunadisplay2.jpg

The Luna Display extends a Mac's display to the secondary Mac or iPad, allowing the device to be used as a second screen, something that's especially useful as people continue learning and working from home.

Apple's iPad and Mac do have a built-in Sidecar function that can turn an iPad into a secondary display for a Mac without the need for an accessory, but this only works with a Mac and an iPad while the Luna Display supports Mac-to-Mac connectivity. Luna Display is also able to work with older iPads that don't support Sidecar.

lunadisplaymactomac2.jpg

Starting this fall, Apple will allow Mac to Mac AirPlay with macOS Monterey, but Luna Display still has multiple benefits over AirPlay technology. AirPlay is limited to newer Mac models and up to 1080p display resolution, and the trackpad and keyboard only work with the primary Mac.

lunadisplaymactomac.jpg

Luna Display offers full native resolution, works with older Mac models, offers keyboard and trackpad support for both Macs, and offers low latency performance. As of May, the Luna Display's Mac-to-Mac feature works over Ethernet and Thunderbolt in addition to WiFi.

With Mac-to-Mac mode, the primary Mac needs to be running OS X El Capitan or later, while the secondary Mac can be running OS X Mountain Lion or later, so the dongle works with machines that are quite old, giving them new life. For the best performance, Astropad suggests a 2012 MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, iMac, or later, or a 2013 Mac Pro or later.

Luna Display provides full keyboard, trackpad, and mouse support on both connected Macs in Mac-to-Mac mode, and it has native support for M1 Macs. PC owners can use the Luna Display adapter for Windows, which extends the desktop from PC to iPad, allowing devices to work interchangeably.

lunadisplay3.jpg

For iPads, the Luna Display is compatible with the ‌iPad‌ 2 or later, all iPad mini models, all iPad Pro models, and all iPad Air models, with iOS 9.1 or later as the only requirement. Performance is faster on newer iPads, but older models work well too.

lunadisplay4.jpg

We have five Luna Display adapters to give away to MacRumors readers. To enter to win, use the Gleam.io widget below and enter an email address. Email addresses will be used solely for contact purposes to reach the winners and send the prizes. You can earn additional entries by subscribing to our weekly newsletter, subscribing to our YouTube channel, following us on Twitter, following us on Instagram, or visiting the MacRumors Facebook page.

Due to the complexities of international laws regarding giveaways, only U.S. residents who are 18 years or older and Canadian residents (excluding Quebec) who have reached the age of majority in their province or territory are eligible to enter. To offer feedback or get more information on the giveaway restrictions, please refer to our Site Feedback section, as that is where discussion of the rules will be redirected.

The contest will run from today (July 16) at 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time through 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time on July 23. The winners will be chosen randomly on July 23 and will be contacted by email. The winners will have 48 hours to respond and provide a shipping address before new winners are chosen.

Article Link: MacRumors Giveaway: Win a Luna Display Adapter to Turn an iPad or Mac Into a Second Screen

Last edited:

spencecb

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2003
I had one of these that I bought, and returned it due to the extreme lag when connected wirelessly. It was awful.

Reactions: bitfactory
Comment

JCoe13

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2014
Chicago, IL
I had one of these that I bought, and returned it due to the extreme lag when connected wirelessly. It was awful.
I have one and have had the complete opposite experience. It's flawless! I tried Duet Display and that was terrible in comparison. Hoping to win this so I can get the USB-C version for a new MacBook!

Comment

Sciomar

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2017
Comment

kkclstuff

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2015
NYC
shouldn't there be a 'basic' version of this built in to macOS already? (even via a cable?)
Are there any GitHub/terminal hacks/mods?

so many of these little devices/dongles/hacks/workarounds needed for what you'd imagine to be (should be) builtin. Im an old timer and I remember the 'empty promises', 'hopes and dreams', and 'soon you'll be able to's' during the pre-OSX world. The future is always 25yrs away - we think you're really gonna like it. ;)

Last edited:
Comment

ChrisChaval

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
Milan, Italy
I have one of these from their crowdfunded campaign and I never use it. With Sidecar there’s no point to have this anymore.
this is what I was wondering: having sidecar, do you still need this? except maybe on older models w/o sidecar support ...

edit: found the answer in the article :

Apple's iPad and Mac do have a built-in Sidecar function that can turn an iPad into a secondary display for a Mac without the need for an accessory, but this only works with a Mac and an iPad while the Luna Display supports Mac-to-Mac connectivity. Luna Display is also able to work with older iPads that don't support Sidecar.

Reactions: ronntaylor
Comment

spencecb

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2003
I have one and have had the complete opposite experience. It's flawless! I tried Duet Display and that was terrible in comparison. Hoping to win this so I can get the USB-C version for a new MacBook!
I mean, you can't call something "flawless" when some people have a terrible experience with it and others don't. That, in its nature, means it does not work as intended for all people.

I did numerous things to try and improve it, but it does not work as intended, for me. Apple's Sidecar has so much better response, even over wifi. So, I am hoping Universal Control works as well as Sidecar.

Comment

spencecb

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2003
this is what I was wondering: having sidecar, do you still need this? except maybe on older models w/o sidecar support ...

edit: found the answer in the article :

Universal Control in macOS Monterey will let you use another Mac as a second display, unlike Sidecar which only allows you to use an iPad as a second display.

Comment

joeycee

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2014
Boston MA
I heard a podcast with one of the Luna founders and their road to where they are today was fascinating, especially maneuvering when Apple added similar functionality. You have to really differentiate yourself and keep trying out new ideas.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos
Comment

alee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
New York, NY
One thing Luna does that Sidecar can't: mirror flip the 2nd display so it can be used with a teleprompter.

Zoom calls are awesome with a teleprompter.

Reactions: travelsheep
Comment

shadowv4x

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2021
Doesn't Sidecar exist for a reason? I mean, Luna may have some features, but you don't need to buy an external adapter for it.... Unless you want to mirror your Windows screen

Comment

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2013
Sidecar is completely useless to me, since iPadOS does not have profiles and I need to have a different Apple ID on my iPad than on my MacBook. Happy to see that there's third party software.

My iPad is used by my friends and their kids when they visit, and there's no profiles etc, therefore my iPad is somewhat a stand-alone device, disconnect from my Apple Books library and self-added pdfs, my Music subscription etc, what a joke.

Comment

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
Doesn't Sidecar exist for a reason? I mean, Luna may have some features, but you don't need to buy an external adapter for it.... Unless you want to mirror your Windows screen
What if you want to use an old iMac as a second display? What use is sidecar then?

Comment

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
Being ahold guy my finances for stuff like this is somewhat limited - Social Security is OK, but I need to save a bit for the next Gen MacBook Pro, which I consider more important.

I would be faster to jump if the price headed to $50 or lower.

Comment

patsfan83

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2008
Using Thunderbolt bridge with a 27” non-retina iMac from an M1 Mini is phenomenal with Luna. I wouldn’t use it wireless for anything other than second screen static apps like spreadsheets though.

Comment

JCoe13

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2014
Chicago, IL
I mean, you can't call something "flawless" when some people have a terrible experience with it and others don't. That, in its nature, means it does not work as intended for all people.

I did numerous things to try and improve it, but it does not work as intended, for me. Apple's Sidecar has so much better response, even over wifi. So, I am hoping Universal Control works as well as Sidecar.
It works flawlessly for me. Sorry it doesn’t work flawlessly for you.

Reactions: thefourthpope
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.