Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For this week's giveaway, we've teamed up with Choetech to offer MacRumors readers a chance to win a Qi Wireless Charging Pad that's meant to be used with the AirPods Pro.

choetechwirelesschargingpad.jpg

Available for under $20 with a special deal at the current time (use code T5501030 when checking out), Choetech's Charging Pad features a simple rectangular squircle shape with rounded edges and rubber pads designed to hold the AirPods Pro case securely in place while also providing guidance on where to place the AirPods Pro. There's also a non-slip material on the bottom to keep the charger in position on a desk or nightstand.

wirelesschargingpad2.jpg

Though clearly designed for the AirPods Pro, the Wireless Charging Pad also works with the standard second-generation AirPods with Wireless Charging Case, iPhones that support wireless charging, and other Qi-based devices.

wirelesschargingpad4.jpg

It can provide up to 15W of power, so it is able to charge the AirPods Pro at full wireless charging speed. For iPhones, it is capable of providing 7.5W of power, and for Android smartphones, it provides 10 to 15W depending on the device.

There's a green LED at the front that lets you know when a product is charging, which is useful when the room's dark at night. The LED flashes for a couple of seconds, stays lit for 60 seconds, and then turns off completely so it's not disturbing when you're trying to sleep.

wirelesschargingpad5.jpg

The Wireless Charging Pad is shipped with a QC 3.0 power adapter and it connects through the charger's USB-C port and the included USB-A to USB-C cable.

According to Choetech, the Charging Pad includes built-in heat dissipating metal and an integrated Smart Excellence chip to prevent overheating, overcharging, and short circuiting to ensure the charger is safe to use.

wirelesschargingpad3.jpg

We have 20 of the Choetech Wireless Charging Pads to give away to MacRumors readers. To enter to win, use the Gleam.io widget below and enter an email address. Email addresses will be used solely for contact purposes to reach the winners and send the prizes. You can earn additional entries by subscribing to our weekly newsletter, subscribing to our YouTube channel, following us on Twitter, following us on Instagram, or visiting the MacRumors Facebook page.

Due to the complexities of international laws regarding giveaways, only U.S. residents who are 18 years or older and Canadian residents (excluding Quebec) who have reached the age of majority in their province or territory are eligible to enter. To offer feedback or get more information on the giveaway restrictions, please refer to our Site Feedback section, as that is where discussion of the rules will be redirected.

The contest will run from today (October 30) at 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time through 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time on November 6. The winners will be chosen randomly on November 6 and will be contacted by email. The winners will have 48 hours to respond and provide a shipping address before new winners are chosen.

Article Link: MacRumors Giveaway: Win a Qi Wireless Charging Pad for AirPods Pro From Choetech

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Cute and an ideal mate for Apple's upcoming MagSafe Duo Charger, which is designed to charge iPhone and Apple Watch.

darkpaw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
Guys, it charges any Qi-compatible device, it just has a pad that makes it fit the AirPods Pro's case perfectly.

FTA: "Though clearly designed for the AirPods Pro, the Wireless Charging Pad also works with the standard second-generation AirPods with Wireless Charging Case, iPhones that support wireless charging, and other Qi-based devices."

Raekon

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2020
Are people using wireless charging that much? I charge my stuff at night and honestly just a cable is more convenient than having extra stuff and cables on your desk. Plus the fact that technology isn’t there yet and it charges slowly. Seems like a cool idea that in practice doesn’t really give you benefits but just more stuff to buy and to keep on your desk

juareza94

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2020
San Diego
Are people using wireless charging that much? I charge my stuff at night and honestly just a cable is more convenient than having extra stuff and cables on your desk. Plus the fact that technology isn’t there yet and it charges slowly. Seems like a cool idea that in practice doesn’t really give you benefits but just more stuff to buy and to keep on your desk
I only wirelessly charge using the Nomad Base Station Pro at night since I don't need a faster charger and it's hard for me to find my cable in the dark. During the day? Apple 5W charger since it sits at a desk for calls. On the go, 20W charger since I don't always have a chance to charge.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I used to ask the same question. Yes, its used quite a bit and its easy. Using a USB tester, a standard 5V USB-A charger will charge at about the same 7.5W rate as a wireless charger. The speed comes from connecting to a USB-C charger. Its almost double. So, if you're using an older charger with the older USB you are getting a similar experience except you are plugging in. Once I grab my phone I will toss my AirPods on the charger about once every two weeks and top them off. Same charger has a watch puck that I use. iPad Pro is not wireless but nearly since it charges in the Smart Folio. The cable stays connected to the keyboard. So, I get your point, no many people need wireless but its not less than a cable in any real ways, in fact its easier.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
Guys, it charges any Qi-compatible device, it just has a pad that makes it fit the AirPods Pro's case perfectly.

FTA: "Though clearly designed for the AirPods Pro, the Wireless Charging Pad also works with the standard second-generation AirPods with Wireless Charging Case, iPhones that support wireless charging, and other Qi-based devices."
I wonder how critical distance is for charging speed? Does that dent make the charging coils far enough away from the back of a phone to be significant? Aren't most chargers flat?

TheDailyApple

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2019
It’s obviously a joke. It made *me* laugh.
I know it’s a joke, I just didn’t find it a lol type joke. I found it to be more of a facepalm type joke. :)

I wasn’t meaning ??‍♂️ as an insult, but as an in kind reaction.

Artemi ????

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2020
Warsaw, Poland
yeah, make a QI charger for every Apple gadget, defeat the purpose of those chargers being universal, increase the amount of electronic waste. Seriously, Macrumors, don’t advertise a device one will need to throw out once the size of the AirPod case changes.

darkpaw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
yeah, make a QI charger for every Apple gadget, defeat the purpose of those chargers being universal, increase the amount of electronic waste. Seriously, Macrumors, don’t advertise a device one will need to throw out once the size of the AirPod case changes.
I don't think you read the article properly. It's a standard Qi charger and works on all devices; it just happens to have a slot that perfectly fits a current AirPods Pro case.

Artemi ????

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2020
Warsaw, Poland
I don't think you read the article properly. It's a standard Qi charger and works on all devices; it just happens to have a slot that perfectly fits a current AirPods Pro case.
I’ve read it perfectly well, the device has a recess for the case decreasing charge efficiency if a device of a different size is placed. Moreover, it is marketed as an AirPod charger meaning an average non-tech-savvy consumer will not understand/care that it charges anything else. It is basically a solution for a problem that does not exist generating more waste for the environment.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
A couple of members recommended Cheotech mainly being positive. I see their products on Amazon, I’ll look more into them as another alternative.

letmefly

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2020
I have not heard of Cheotech either. From what I have seen so far they look like a brand that can be trusted to make reliable and durable products. This charger set would be ideal.

darkpaw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
I’ve read it perfectly well, the device has a recess for the case decreasing charge efficiency if a device of a different size is placed.
FTA: "It can provide up to 15W of power, so it is able to charge the AirPods Pro at full wireless charging speed. For iPhones, it is capable of providing 7.5W of power, and for Android smartphones, it provides 10 to 15W depending on the device."

Seems to work fine for Android phones, so I'm not sure where you've got this idea that it cannot charge other devices at the same efficiency. If it works for Android phones, then it's the iPhone that doesn't work properly with the charger.

tidybowl

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2011
Your article should probably mention that AirPods Pro only charge at 2.5w - which is mentioned on the product page on Amazon.

RowellE

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
I know it’s a joke, I just didn’t find it a lol type joke. I found it to be more of a facepalm type joke. :)

I wasn’t meaning ??‍♂️ as an insult, but as an in kind reaction.
Ah. Got it. Like how a dad joke makes you face palm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.