Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors Giveaway: Win a 'Twist' Smart Lightbulb With Built-In AirPlay Speaker

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For this week's giveaway, we've teamed up with Astro to give MacRumors readers a chance to win a Twist smart LED lightbulb and wireless speaker. The Twist replaces a standard bulb in a lamp, and with its smart lighting features, it's able to adjust its color temperature from 2700K to 5000K based on the time of day.

In the morning, the 800-lumen Twist bulb gives off a bluish-white light, and in the evening, the color shifts more towards the yellow spectrum, mimicking the pattern of the sun to make it easier to fall asleep and wake up.

Along with smart lighting features, Twist includes a built-in AirPlay speaker, ideal for homes with little space. It's able to connect to an iPhone or iPad and stream music from any service, just like other AirPlay speakers. According to the Twist website, it uses a specially-designed driver for premium, lossless audio.

Priced at $99 for a single bulb or $199 for three bulbs, Twist connects to a home using Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, so no hub or extra hardware is needed, and multiple Twist bulbs can interface with one another for whole-home synchronized audio.

The Twist bulb can be purchased from the Twist website and will ship out soon. Five MacRumors readers will win a Twist bulb through our giveaway. To enter to win, use the Rafflecopter widget below and enter an email address. Email addresses will be used solely for contact purposes to reach the winner and send the prize.

You can earn additional entries by subscribing to our weekly newsletter, subscribing to our YouTube channel, following us on Twitter, or visiting the MacRumors Facebook page. Due to the complexities of international laws regarding giveaways, only U.S. residents who are 18 years of age or older are eligible to enter.

The contest will run from today (April 15) at 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time through 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time on April 22. The winners will be chosen randomly on April 22 and will be contacted by email. The winners have 48 hours to respond and provide a shipping address before new winners are chosen. The prizes will be shipped to the winners for free. Winners will receive their Twist bulbs in June.

Article Link: MacRumors Giveaway: Win a 'Twist' Smart Lightbulb With Built-In AirPlay Speaker

thatanonymoususer

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2015
I like the concept. It would be nicer if AirPlay on iOS devices allowed streaming to multiple devices so that you could use this for a nice ambiance without a dedicated iTunes computer. I think it's a bit odd for a new bulb with a mostly Apple-only protocol like AirPlay to not have HomeKit capabilities.

Reactions: Mums and Douglas B
Comment

pdaholic

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2011
Can these be used for surround sound in a home?
This was my thought too! Would be a cool way to avoid setting up speakers everywhere, and the height of the speakers could be based on the height of the lamp. Big question is how good the sound output will be.
[doublepost=1460744665][/doublepost]
You wouldn't want to.

They aren't good speakers, nor are they even acceptable lights...
Okay never mind. Thanks for the input.

Reactions: pubwvj
Comment

showtunes00

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
It's similar to the Scott Luminor light bulb speakers. That setup came with a wireless sub woofer as well but it had a central hub.

Reactions: Mums
Comment

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
True, reviews on these speaker/lightbulbs have been mediocre at best.

Nice looking innovation, but I've already bought into the Phillips Hue ecosystem.

I guess HomeKit might help? The issue I see is that it's yet another ecosystem, with a new protocol for the speakers. Why not make something that just slots into a current ecosystem?

Comment

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
You wouldn't want to.

True, reviews on these speaker/lightbulbs have been mediocre at best.

Where are these "reviews?" The Twist smart lightbulb hasn't been released yet. The only information on the web about it is from July of last year. None have shipped yet. Got a link?

Comment

weave

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2003
Soo... curious about something. With Apple Music, can I stream music at the same time to multiple Airplay speakers (like this and others)? I'd certainly like music playing all over my house from multiple speakers. But Spotify only lets you play to one system at a time.

This would be good for some rooms where the quality doesn't have to be that great.... like in the basement or garage. I just want to be able to hear my music everywhere...

Comment

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
You wouldn't want to.

Oh, you already have one?
[doublepost=1460766416][/doublepost]Sounds from the article like multiple lights will act as one device. That would be cool; I've always thought it goofy that music is stuck in one room.

Reactions: taxiapple
Comment

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Soo... curious about something. With Apple Music, can I stream music at the same time to multiple Airplay speakers (like this and others)? I'd certainly like music playing all over my house from multiple speakers. But Spotify only lets you play to one system at a time.

This would be good for some rooms where the quality doesn't have to be that great.... like in the basement or garage. I just want to be able to hear my music everywhere...

Yes, from iTunes (on Mac OS and Windows.)

There is also this trick for iOS:
http://weblog.rogueamoeba.com/2012/02/12/send-audio-from-ios-to-multiple-speakers-with-airfoil/

Reactions: weave
Comment

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
Speakers that fit in light sockets? That sounds really convenient for fitting an old house with speakers. Nice!

P.S. Seriously, they showed people having sex in an ad and said "[it's] where you play"? A bit raunchy for a tech ad.

Last edited:
Comment

Velli

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2013
People saying "how can you say it sounds bad, it's not out yet" don't know dick about sound. Yes, we can say they will sound awful and only work at very low volume. It's dictated by the size and placement of the driver. Launching a product on kickstarter don't change the laws of physics. It does make it easier grabbing a bunch of money from people gullible enough to buy products without even knowing the actual outcome.

Reactions: JackANSI
Comment

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Don't know about these specifically but I tried out a similar, much less expensive B/T speaker bulb from Lowes in my guest bathroom -- of of the few rooms in my house that I opted (regretfully in hindsight) not to wire for sound. Sound on those was fine, about what you get for any small sized speaker. Plenty loud and clear enough to hear while taking a shower. The convenience of it not being battery dependent or requiring use of a plug is the reason you want one of these. They are not intended to be audiophile or replace your main speakers.

Ultimately I returned the bulb b/c the B/T wouldn't always recognize my iDevices and it was frustrating having to constantly re-pair. I love the concept and will try again as the price comes down. Given that dimmable 60w LED bulbs are down to $5 or less now these combos shouldn't be more than $30 each. I don't care if it can change colors... or to pay for that feature.

Reactions: VulchR
Comment

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
People saying "how can you say it sounds bad, it's not out yet" don't know dick about sound. Yes, we can say they will sound awful and only work at very low volume. It's dictated by the size and placement of the driver. Launching a product on kickstarter don't change the laws of physics. It does make it easier grabbing a bunch of money from people gullible enough to buy products without even knowing the actual outcome.

I seem to recall Bose had a nice speaker system in which multiple small speakers were used as an array. It is an interesting idea, but I'd like to know how people actually found them rather than speculation, even if that speculation is informed. You must admit the general idea is an attractive one. I do agree, though, I would not by these until enough people have experience with them so that the pro's and con's are known.

Comment

Velli

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2013
1: Bose generally get big sound from seemingly small speakers by using a relatively big subwoofer. 2: No, I must not admit that "the general idea is attractive". The "general idea" is to ignore sound quality to get convenience. I do not find that idea attractive at all. I would rather have no sound at all, than use a 1-inch fullrange in a home theater setup (which is what some here are suggesting).

To hear news in the morning while taking a shower, fine. But some here are seriously asking if it could be used in a home theater setup. I'm not even being an audiophile snob about it. That is like asking if I can use a paper plane to fly over the atlantic. It will sound about like the speakers in a laptop. You will be able to recognize which song is playing, and that's about it. Waste of money in a HT setup - just use the built in TV speakers instead.

Edit: I gave them too much credit: the drivers are not 1 inch, they are 18mm. Do you know what else use 18 mm fullrange drivers? Apple Earbuds. 'Nuff said.

Last edited:
Reactions: JackANSI
Comment

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
1: Bose generally get big sound from seemingly small speakers by using a relatively big subwoofer. 2: No, I must not admit that "the general idea is attractive". The "general idea" is to ignore sound quality to get convenience. I do not find that idea attractive at all. I would rather have no sound at all, than use a 1-inch fullrange in a home theater setup (which is what some here are suggesting).

To hear news in the morning while taking a shower, fine. But some here are seriously asking if it could be used in a home theater setup. I'm not even being an audiophile snob about it. That is like asking if I can use a paper plane to fly over the atlantic. It will sound about like the speakers in a laptop. You will be able to recognize which song is playing, and that's about it. Waste of money in a HT setup - just use the built in TV speakers instead.

Edit: I gave them too much credit: the drivers are not 1 inch, they are 18mm. Do you know what else use 18 mm fullrange drivers? Apple Earbuds. 'Nuff said.

I am sure that you like to dial your electric guitar up to 11 as well. :p Perhaps this company has not done justice to the idea, but you are confusing the idea with its implementation.

Comment

Velli

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2013
I am sure that you like to dial your electric guitar up to 11 as well. :p Perhaps this company has not done justice to the idea, but you are confusing the idea with its implementation.

No, I am not. The idea of a speaker inside a light bulb in a standard socket is stupid. The implementation doesn't matter. The concept does not allow a sound quality higher than what fits inside even the lowliest of TV speakers.

And no, it's not about "it goes to 11" kind of spl requirements. 0,7" speakers are not "ideal for homes with little space". They are ideal for HEADPHONES. Period. There does not exist a room so small that a speaker smaller than 5-6 inches in diameter is "ideal". These speakers are ideal for showing off your combined stupidity, tastelessness and complete lack of sensibility. THAT they will do in any size room.

Comment

jephrey

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2005
Regardless of how the sound quality of these bulbs are, it's a cool idea. With all the power available to them, they should be able to put out ample light, have a good DAC, and at least partially dependent on the bulb size a decent speaker. With a nice fixture design, there may be a day where these can be strategically positioned that no matter where you go in your home, you are hearing the music. I know these aren't the first of their kind but hope they won't be the last. I consider myself an amateur audiophile, but if the game is on, or even if I'm closely listening to vinyl, why wouldn't I want to have a little boost of that audio in other rooms?

Comment

diipii

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
UK
Where are these "reviews?" The Twist smart lightbulb hasn't been released yet. The only information on the web about it is from July of last year. None have shipped yet. Got a link?
Meanwhile here in Realityland we know that small lights give out small amounts of light.
And small speakers akin to the size of ear buds will no more than squeak unless stuffed into your ear.
Why is this so hard to understand ?????

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.