Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For this week's giveaway, we've teamed up with Satechi to offer MacRumors readers a chance to win a USB-C Pro Hub Adapter with Ethernet, which is designed to work with 2016, 2017, and 2018 13 and 15-inch MacBook Pro models.

Priced at $100, Satechi's Pro Hub comes equipped with a Gigabit Ethernet port, an HDMI port, a USB-C Power Delivery port that supports up to 87W of power, two USB 3.0 ports, and a microSD card slot.

satechiethernethub2-800x733.jpg

The Pro Hub with Ethernet is available in a brushed aluminum in Silver or Space Gray to match Apple's MacBook Pro machines, and it plugs into two of the USB-C ports on either side of the device.

satechiethernet1-800x336.jpg

Along with a Gigabit Ethernet port that supports 10/100/1000Mb/s, the Pro Hub works with a 4K monitor through the included HDMI port.

satechiethernetusbc-800x586.jpg

The USB-C port, which allows for power delivery, charges the MacBook Pro, while the microSD card slot supports importing images and files and the two USB 3.0 ports allow for data transfer from USB-A accessories.

satechiethernet3-800x800.jpg

We have five of Satechi's USB-C Pro Hub Adapters with Ethernet to give away to MacRumors readers. To enter to win, use the Rafflecopter widget below and enter an email address. Email addresses will be used solely for contact purposes to reach the winners and send the prizes. You can earn additional entries by subscribing to our weekly newsletter, subscribing to our YouTube channel, following us on Twitter, or visiting the MacRumors Facebook page.

Due to the complexities of international laws regarding giveaways, only U.S. residents who are 18 years or older and Canadian residents (excluding Quebec) who have reached the age of majority in their province or territory are eligible to enter. To offer feedback or get more information on the giveaway restrictions, please refer to our Site Feedback section, as that is where discussion of the rules will be redirected.

The contest will run from today (August 24) at 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time through 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time on August 31. The winners will be chosen randomly on August 31 and will be contacted by email. The winners will have 48 hours to respond and provide a shipping address before new winners are chosen.

Article Link: MacRumors Giveaway: Win a USB-C Pro Hub With Ethernet From Satechi

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Does this hub support using 2 1080P HDMI monitors on a 2018 MBP? I was looking at the comparable one from Hyper.

ghostface147

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2008
Just picked up a 2018 MacBook Pro a couple of weeks ago, this is cool to see given away.

Tastannin

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2003
UT
Nice giveaway! Does anyone know if the HDMI port drives 4K at 60Hz or is it 30Hz like most of the HDMI ports on USB-C hubs these days? Satechi's site doesn't seem to specify the refresh rate.

jwhazel

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005
Nice giveaway! Does anyone know if the HDMI port drives 4K at 60Hz or is it 30Hz like most of the HDMI ports on USB-C hubs these days? Satechi's site doesn't seem to specify the refresh rate.

If you click on the manual they have posted, there is this blurb:

Use USB-C port for high speed data transfer (up to 10 Gbps),
PD charging (up to 87W), video output (up to 4K 60Hz).
Not recommended for use with laptop case​

But I would also be curious if anyone could confirm they actually have it working.

ikir

macrumors 68000
Sep 26, 2007
Great product, Satechi is a good brand. Sadly can't join since I'm in EU, so good luck everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tozovac

Scooz

Suspended
Apr 9, 2012
Not recommended for use with laptop case

Anyone tried that anyway with one of the polycarbonate „skin“-type cases on?

One could still enlarge the port cutout. Still, would be interesting to know if the USB-C plugs made contact with such a plastic case inbetween.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
when I bought my mb12 a few years ago, I was looking into a similar offering by Satechi, I even bought one from ebay. However, I stumbled upon one or two mentions that it created an electricity short and fried a macbook or two. To be fair, it might have not been the docks fault, but I could not afford burning my machine. I returned my ebay purchase without even opening the package to try it. Evidently, not based on empirical evidence, but maybe make your own investigation before trying this out on your $2K+ machine.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
I'm amazed at how cheap these things are becoming. Anker has one for only $60, and the main difference is it doesn't provide USB-C power pass-through, so it's useful if you only need an adapter: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Premium-Adapter-Ethernet-ChromeBook/dp/B071G83L1J/

Does anyone know if this thing uses both ports for data or just one for data and one for power? Would trying to run 4K60 10-bit display slow down SSDs or ethernet attached to the same adapter?

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
I got a Satechi dock for my MacBook. It's changed my life. Reliable, useful. Take a look at this brand. Well worthwhile.

I had the Apple AV interface, which only supported one USB drive, even if you plugged in an adapter. I was forever swapping what hung off that single USB port. Now I have SD, miniSD, display, and more USB slots (that actually work!) than I ever imagined on a 1 port MacBook. Without having to swap ANYTHING. Best money I ever spent on a Mac.

TXnATL

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010
I just tried to register for this giveaway but no dice despite it being 8:28 AM Pacific Time on 8/31/2018 . The rules clearly state the contest is over at 11AM Pacific Time.

What gives?

HKILP7M8

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2018
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I have a satechi usb c hub that is making my 2018 MacBook Pro very glitchy, I spoke to the company and they refuse to replace or refund my money. I'm stuck with a $60 worthless paperweight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.