Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For this week's giveaway, we've teamed up with Jackery to offer MacRumors readers a chance to win a Jackery Explorer 500 Portable Power Station that's ideal for keeping all of your Apple devices charged up for emergencies, camping, road trips, power outages, and more.

jackery1.jpg

Priced at $500 and often available on sale, the Explorer 500 is Jackery's mid-range power station, offering a 518 watt-hour lithium-ion battery.

jackery2.jpg

It's equipped with a pure sine wave AC outlet, a 12V/10A carport, and three 5V/2.4A USB-A ports. It can power any of your Apple products from iPhones to MacBooks, plus it has enough juice to run TVs, projectors, fans, and other appliances that draw under 500 watts.

The carport and USB-A ports can power car appliances like coolers, air pumps, vacuums, and more, along with smartphones, iPads, and other small electronics.

jackery3.jpg

With the ability to hold a charge on standby for weeks at a time, the Jackery Explorer 500 is ideal for power outages and other emergencies. It can run a router or a cable modem to keep you connected, or run lights and other accessories when you're out camping.

There's a handle that makes the Jackery Explorer 500 easy to carry, and there are built-in fans to keep it cool. An LCD screen on the front displays the current power level and the watts that are being drawn so you can keep track of your power usage.

jackery-e500-charging-macbook.jpg

Jackery will soon celebrate Jackery Day, which will see brand new power station models coming out on March 17. Jackery will also be hosting a giveaway on its own site in addition to the E500 giveaway that MacRumors is offering.

We have two of the Jackery Explorer 500 Portable Battery Stations to give away. To enter to win our giveaway, use the Gleam.io widget below and enter an email address. Email addresses will be used solely for contact purposes to reach the winners and send the prizes. You can earn additional entries by subscribing to our weekly newsletter, subscribing to our YouTube channel, following us on Twitter, following us on Instagram, or visiting the MacRumors Facebook page.

Due to the complexities of international laws regarding giveaways, only U.S. residents who are 18 years or older and Canadian residents (excluding Quebec) who have reached the age of majority in their province or territory are eligible to enter. To offer feedback or get more information on the giveaway restrictions, please refer to our Site Feedback section, as that is where discussion of the rules will be redirected.

The contest will run from today (March 12) at 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time through 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time on March 19. The winners will be chosen randomly on March 19 and will be contacted by email. The winners will have 48 hours to respond and provide a shipping address before new winners are chosen.

Article Link: MacRumors Giveaway: Win an Explorer 500 Portable Power Station From Jackery

Reactions: splifingate

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Totally useful tool when needed, think Texas power outages for example to charge phones/use other electronic products.

Awesome giveaway.
There are far cheaper ways to charge phones/use other electronic products during outages.

A small UPS is about 25% the price of this.

Don't get me wrong, this is quite a good option for outdoor activities, bit expensive though.

ikramerica

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2009
There are far cheaper ways to charge phones/use other electronic products during outages.

Well UPS aren’t usually LiIon, and the sine wave outlet is interesting if it truly is clean.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Well UPS aren’t usually LiIon, and the sine wave outlet is interesting if it truly is clean.
Yes, they don't have Lithium Ion but there are ones with sine wave for just a bit more.
Safer as well, Lithium Ion isn't the safest option when using it indoors, especially not when using it in this capacity (500) Watts.

zorinlynx

macrumors 604
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA

Don't get me wrong, this is quite a good option for outdoor activities, bit expensive though.
A small UPS offers nowhere near 500 watthours of energy, is nowhere near as efficient at converting the power as one of these, and isn't designed to be used for much longer than "BEEP BEEP BEEP! Oh crap, the power is out. (10 seconds later) Damnit, it's still out. BEEP BEEP BEEP! I wonder if it's coming back? Hmm, maybe not. BEEP BEEP BEEP! Oh well, better shut everything down."

To actually continue using devices during a power outage for a longer term, you need something like this product. The problem of course is they're still rather overpriced, but they're getting there!

(Just as a comparison, my Tripplite 1300VA UPS has two 12V 8AH batteries in it. That's 12*8*2 = 192WH. That's less than half what this unit offers, and the batteries are lead-acid so not designed to be discharged very much. Great for power backup, lousy to use long term!)

Reactions: vjl323 and trevorep

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
A small UPS offers nowhere near 500 watthours of energy, is nowhere near as efficient at converting the power as one of these, and isn't designed to be used for much longer than "BEEP BEEP BEEP! Oh crap, the power is out. (10 seconds later) Damnit, it's still out. BEEP BEEP BEEP! I wonder if it's coming back? Hmm, maybe not. BEEP BEEP BEEP! Oh well, better shut everything down."

To actually continue using devices during a power outage for a longer term, you need something like this product. The problem of course is they're still rather overpriced, but they're getting there!

(Just as a comparison, my Tripplite 1300VA UPS has two 12V 8AH batteries in it. That's 12*8*2 = 192WH. That's less than half what this unit offers, and the batteries are lead-acid so not designed to be discharged very much. Great for power backup, lousy to use long term!)
I lived in Indonesia for a decade, lots of downtime, bought a UPS and 2 external batteries for less than $100, about 400 W/h.
What makes you think this is better at efficiency, converting DC to AC with the Jackery or an UPS will be more or less the same, as for DC to DC, there are cheaper alternatives, power banks.

zorinlynx

macrumors 604
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I lived in Indonesia for a decade, lots of downtime, bought a UPS and 2 external batteries for less than $100, about 400 W/h.
What makes you think this is better at efficiency, converting DC to AC with the Jackery or an UPS will be more or less the same, as for DC to DC, there are cheaper alternatives, power banks.
Lead-acid batteries like the ones UPSes use are great for standby power, when kept floated at a full charge continuously and ready to take over when the power goes out.

But if you cycle them deeply often, their lifetime drops sharply. They're just not that good at deep cycle use.

Now, you said you got external batteries; maybe you bought special deep cycle batteries, so you were fine. But that's not what UPSes typically come with.

Lithium batteries are a LOT better at frequent discharges, and have a much higher energy density, so they don't weigh 50 pounds to give you 500WH. Sure, either product could probably do the "other" job, but they'll do it poorly and less portably.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Lead-acid batteries like the ones UPSes use are great for standby power, when kept floated at a full charge continuously and ready to take over when the power goes out.

But if you cycle them deeply often, their lifetime drops sharply. They're just not that good at deep cycle use.

Now, you said you got external batteries; maybe you bought special deep cycle batteries, so you were fine. But that's not what UPSes typically come with.

Lithium batteries are a LOT better at frequent discharges, and have a much higher energy density, so they don't weigh 50 pounds to give you 500WH. Sure, either product could probably do the "other" job, but they'll do it poorly and less portably.
I do agree Lithium is much better, shame is that end products are expensive while you can get those cells much cheaper when you buy them yourself.
Example, nowadays a lot of Lithium packs can be found on bikes, if you buy a new pack you have to pay several 100's $ for a new pack, like 350$, if you rebuild the pack yourself you safe 60-70%.
I can get single high quality 18650 cells from Panasonic for as little as 2$, most bike packs don't have more than 30-40 cells, that's $60-80$ total.
Lithium ion is milked by the manufacturers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.