Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For this week's giveaway, we've teamed up with GRID Studio to offer MacRumors readers a chance to win a 256GB iPhone 14 Pro. GRID Studio is a company that purchases old, discarded Apple electronics, tears them apart, and turns them into works of art for Apple fans.

Grid-iPhone-2G.jpg

Each of GRID's art pieces includes a deconstructed Apple device with the components displayed underneath a glass frame. Labels make it clear what each part of the device was used for, and interesting and relevant historical facts and details are also added for context.

A vintage Apple device with all of its components artfully arranged makes great decor for an office space, living room, or workshop, and the simple style blends in with a range of decorating styles. GRID Studio has a range of different options, with prices that start at $40 and go up based on the complexity of the piece.

The GRID 1 is one of GRID Studio's most popular options, as it showcases the first iPhone that Apple ever made. Available for $400, the GRID 1 showcases the internal components that Apple used for the original iPhone. Each component is separated and labeled, so you can see the entire makeup of the iPhone at a glance.

grid-studio-grid-1.jpg

The iPhone's shell is positioned next to the power button, headphone socket, speaker, logic board, ear piece, and other components. Note that GRID doesn't include the original batteries from the device because of the risk of fire, but replicas are available.

Another iconic device is featured in the GRID 4, which is at its lowest price ever thanks to GRID Studio's back to school sale. Available for $99, the GRID 4 showcases Apple's iPhone 4, the first major iPhone redesign that Apple came out with. The GRID 4 features the iconic squared frame that the iPhone 4 is known for, complete with the poorly located antenna bands that spurred one of the biggest Apple "gates," antennagate.

Grid-iPhone-4.jpg

GRID Studio doesn't just tear down iPhones. If you're an iPod fan, there's the $400 GRID iPod Classic, featuring the third-generation iPod that Apple released in 2003. The "iPod 3G" had the classic white color and the wheel design that made the iPod lineup famous. It's a true piece of history because Apple stopped selling iPods altogether in 2022.

Grid-iPod-3rd-Gen.jpg

For iPad fans, GRID has a deconstructed 2012 iPad mini available for $220. Featuring the first iPad mini that Apple made. The iPad mini was popular due to its small 7.9-inch size compared to the prior 9.7-inch iPads that Apple made available.

Grid-iPad-mini.jpg

Along with Apple devices, GRID Studio sells deconstructed Android phones, disassembled Nintendo devices, and art featuring consoles from Sony and Microsoft. GRID Studio is hosting a back to school sale this week, and through August 17, the GRID 4 is available for $99. All other devices can be bought at a 15 percent discount using the code "M15."

We have a (fully assembled) 256GB iPhone 14 Pro for one lucky MacRumors reader. To enter to win, use the widget below and enter an email address. Email addresses will be used solely for contact purposes to reach the winner(s) and send the prize(s). You can earn additional entries by subscribing to our weekly newsletter, subscribing to our YouTube channel, following us on Twitter, following us on Instagram, or visiting the MacRumors Facebook page.

Due to the complexities of international laws regarding giveaways, only U.S. residents who are 18 years or older, UK residents who are 18 years or older, and Canadian residents (excluding Quebec) who have reached the age of majority in their province or territory are eligible to enter. All federal, state, provincial, and/or local taxes, fees, and surcharges are the sole responsibility of the prize winner. To offer feedback or get more information on the giveaway restrictions, please refer to our Site Feedback section, as that is where discussion of the rules will be redirected.

GRID Studio Giveaway... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: MacRumors Giveaway: Win an iPhone 14 Pro From GRID Studio

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
It's a cool idea and recycles phones. GRID probably doesn't have to pay at all or very little for the phone since they likely don't work. They just have to pay for the framing and come up with the graphics. The cost of production is probably very small. It's genius actually.

The title of the post is a little misleading as it says "win an iPhone 14 Pro" and I think most people are thinking it's a functioning phone. Some people might not value in hanging a non-functioning disposed phone on their wall, but I bet some people who are really into their phones and phone-addicts will want to collect the phones they had, or even collect all the phones.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
It's a cool idea and recycles phones. GRID probably doesn't have to pay at all or very little for the phone since they likely don't work. They just have to pay for the framing and come up with the graphics. The cost of production is probably very small. It's genius actually.

The title of the post is a little misleading as it says "win an iPhone 14 Pro" and I think most people are thinking it's a functioning phone. Some people might not value in hanging a non-functioning disposed phone on their wall, but I bet some people who are really into their phones and phone-addicts will want to collect the phones they had, or even collect all the phones.
It is pretty brilliant. Fairly low overhead. Keeps (or at least delays) more junk in landfills. Celebrates the artistry that is Apple hardware design. Good to see that get some attention.

I have a launch day Apple Watch s0 that I wanted to GRIDify. They said they couldn’t take my device - which was kinda of weird and unfortunate. I thought it would be cool to have my own product on display. Oh well, guess I’ll make my own. Not that complex, prob a lot cheaper and as a bonus: the satisfaction of making a thing.

poseidondev

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2015
The title of the post is a little misleading as it says "win an iPhone 14 Pro" and I think most people are thinking it's a functioning phone.

We have a (fully assembled) 256GB iPhone 14 Pro for one lucky MacRumors reader.

While I’ll concede that MacRumors doesn’t explicitly says it’ll be a functioning iPhone, they seem to imply that it will be with the emphasis on it being “fully assembled”.

As such I don’t think it’s a misleading title.

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
Wait I'm confused. So it's just a broken iPhone 14 Pro? It says fully assembled, so it's both not a functioning unit AND its not in the fancy frame from GRID? I don't understand what you guys are saying in the comments here.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
*cut to 1000 years in the future*

It's hanging in the Space Louvre being ogled at by Martians, behind 3 inches of Phaser proof transparent aluminium.​

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
Wait I'm confused. So it's just a broken iPhone 14 Pro? It says fully assembled, so it's both not a functioning unit AND its not in the fancy frame from GRID? I don't understand what you guys are saying in the comments here.
I think it should be fairly obvious that it's a fully functional iPhone. They just said "fully assembled" as a cute way to clarify that the giveaway is sponsored by GRID, but not one of their art pieces. Maybe the promotional part of the post could've been a little shorter...

Personally I think I'd prefer a deconstructed iPhone -or another one of the art pieces- from GRID instead. I already have an "11" that works great - good luck to those who do enter!

BeerDrinkerDan

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2022
I think it should be fairly obvious that it's a fully functional iPhone. They just said "fully assembled" as a cute way to clarify that the giveaway is sponsored by GRID, but not one of their art pieces. Maybe the promotional part of the post could've been a little shorter...

Personally I think I'd prefer a deconstructed iPhone -or another one of the art pieces- from GRID instead. I already have an "11" that works great - good luck to those who do enter!
Look, I want my odds to be as high as possible, but why not enter and if you win sell it? :)

-dan

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
I can’t seem to get credit for following MacRumors and GRID on Twitter. I suspect it has something to do with my server-side cookie settings on Twitter. An additional piece of evidence of that is that I cannot play back Twitter video on site’s embedding a tweet.

I know that sites periodically ask me to select the types of cookies I allow them to place in my browser’s cookie collection. How do I reconfigure those settings, or do I have to wait, until Twitter asks me again?

bgillander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2007
The "follow on Twitter" plays don't seem to work. I get to Twitter, click "follow" within Twitter, get confirmation I'm following; but the Gleam window never seems to acknowledge and I don't get those credits.
Did you try clicking the “Continue” below the “Follow” on the original screen? Not that I want to help create more entries against mine, but that seemed to work for me. :) It was frustrating to try to figure out on an old iPad mini, as the Gleam interface seems to drag horribly.

Reactions: asdfjkl;

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
That layout has given Samsung an idea for their next phone…

Macaholic868

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2017
I absolutely love the GRID 1. I got it on sale for just over $300 a year or so ago. It’s a great piece of modern art and technology history all in one. Even my wife who isn’t a techie but owns an iPhone appreciates it. I’d highly recommend it as a gift for any Apple or technology enthusiast who isn’t anti-Apple and wants to own a good looking piece of art that doubles as a small piece of history. Everything about it including the box it ships in and the booklet that ships with it is well done.

• Love

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
Did you try clicking the “Continue” below the “Follow” on the original screen? Not that I want to help create more entries against mine, but that seemed to work for me. :) It was frustrating to try to figure out on an old iPad mini, as the Gleam interface seems to drag horribly.
I have seen this many times before, when participating in these contests before:

Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 6.36.42 PM.png

So, I don’t think that’s the issue.

And even after hitting “Follow” and on the Twitter page clicking on “Follow,” “Continue” is grayed out for me:
Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 6.41.59 PM.png

Reactions: bgillander

bgillander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2007
I have seen this many times before, when participating in these contests before:

View attachment 2244704
So, I don’t think that’s the issue.

And even after hitting “Follow” and on the Twitter page clicking on “Follow,” “Continue” is grayed out for me:
View attachment 2244708
Yeah, this was the first time that just clicking “Follow” didn’t seem to work for me, so I figured the Twitter to X transition might be causing some issues. The Gleam processes do always seem at least a bit convoluted to me, though.

KnighsTalker

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
In the Web
Twitter, X, whatever it's called is trying to strong arm MacRumors. I think they want MacRumors to pay them $5000.00/month to upgrade to v2 of Developer Pro for Twitter (X?). When a person clicks on either Follow @MacRumors on Twitter or Follow @GridStudiocc on Twitter, then they get a message that states, "Twitter rejected our request: You currently have access to a subset of Twitter API v2 endpoints and limited v1.1 endpoints (e.g. media post, oauth) only. If you need access to this endpoint, you may need a different access level. You can learn more here: https://developer.twitter.com/en/portal/product."

Elon Musk sucks and not very well at that either!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.