MacRumors Giveaway: Win Custom-Painted Black AirPods From BlackPods

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Not going to win but I'm trying anyways. Congrats to whoever wins this!

2. lapilli macrumors newbie

lapilli

The white ones... well... they just look silly. I wouldn't want to look silly, so... I'll take the black ones, thanks.

3. jarman92 macrumors 6502

Because the white headphones are iconic and instantly recognizable; why would Apple make them in any color other than white?

4. Murphintosh macrumors member

Murphintosh

That's like saying you'd like one the color of hair. They'll need you to be more specific.

If you did get a pair that matched your skin, people would wonder what caused those growths that deformed your ears.

You don't want to look like a TED speaker with one of those skin-tone mic windscreens that look like a wart, do you?

5. appsformob macrumors newbie

appsformob

6. makingdots macrumors 6502

Maybe because they're still catching up on the demand?

7. MarkB786, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

MarkB786 macrumors 6502a

Someone paints Air Pods black, gives them away, and it's news. Air Pods are okay, but they are another Apple product with mysterious success. They are ugly, they unpair, get loose, and have about the same function as a good pair of Bluetooth ear buds. What is the draw over these?? I returned my pair within a week and bought some buds that actually stay in the ear and don't draw stares.

8. soanis macrumors regular

soanis

and those would be...?

I'll wait for a 5 BT version of these, see how they perform... to go with my future iPhone 8

9. expiredyogurt macrumors regular

expiredyogurt

i see that they finally allow canadian to enter the GA too? this is the first eh, entered!

10. Tapiture macrumors 6502a

Tapiture

You can get these or a pair of Beats Studios sans-giveaway. I don’t understand the purchasing habits of some people.

11. CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

Whose flesh?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 11, 2017 ---
    Actually, a sort of neutral gray would probably be better (a little darker than 50% gray). Something not bright white, not jet black, but in between. So they don't stand out. They could call it Space Gray, to fit with the rest of their line.

The huge advantage of Apple making such a color, rather than painting it on, is the plastic would be that color all the way through, so a minor scrape wouldn't reveal white underneath.

12. votdfak macrumors 6502

votdfak

Those look like **** and nothing like colorware ones.

13. ZipZap macrumors 603

Because the white ones don't look good.

14. SoundJudgment macrumors regular

SoundJudgment

If I win these.. they will be the only BlackPods I ever buy. Promise!

15. Syk macrumors 6502a

I wish they would too but white seems to be their thing when it comes to accessories and also black airpods probably wouldn't be as noticeable as the white one. People are going to notice those white Qtip looking things sticking out of you ear which is the reason I rather have black, so they won't stand out

16. jarman92 macrumors 6502

That's your opinion, and a poor one at that. If you don't like how they look...don't buy them!

17. nikon1 macrumors member

nikon1

HINT: Don’t Enter and you won’t win — GUARANTEED!

You’re welcome

18. MarkB786, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

MarkB786 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, apologies. I'm in a pissy mood today. Those do look pretty cool. Just wish they would stay in my ear.

19. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

How does the BlackPods version compare to Colorware's, quality-/durability-wise? Anyone?

20. bsmith083 macrumors newbie

I decided to buy BlackPods over ColorWare after watching this:

I think you need to be careful with both of them. No matter how durable the paint is, there is still white underneath which will be exposed if you drop them.

21. theNatest macrumors member

theNatest

She will be mine! Let’s gooo!!

22. pumpkinwhite macrumors member

Looks nice from the pictures. Impressive feat, changing the color of an electronic item.

23. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

Maybe because absolutely none of those things are true, at least not for most of us. They fit. They pair more reliably than any bluetooth headphones I've ever used. They never fall out or feel loose. They switch quickly and seamlessly between current generation Apple devices (and a little less seamlessly between older Apple devices). They are reliably sweat resistant. (I've been running in mine for 10 months, longer than any pair of headphones has ever survived for me, even supposedly sweatproof Jaybirds.)

And though I would like a black pair. They look just fine in white. One day last week, on a bike trail at a local park, I saw four other runners wearing them out of maybe a dozen solo runners. And though it's not a random sampling, three out of six of us in my group at work have them. Two others thought they looked so stupid in my ears that they bought some for themselves.

24. Mikeeee macrumors 6502

Mikeeee

That's kind of funny. I just took mine back yesterday. I loved the way they worked but hated the way they looked. So I don't see why that is a poor opinion. I guess your opinion is the only valid opinion. Probably in the entire world of opinions, yours is obviously great while all the others are poor. ;)

25. MarkB786 macrumors 6502a

Absolutely disagree with this. As you say, they work for some and not for others. I could not work out with them since they kept slipping out. They notoriously unpaired with my iPad Pro an ip7plus. For me, not a good product at all.