Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flashy-cat

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2007
UK
The UK is probably Apple's second market after the US, I'm sure you could provide a second giveaway for us.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Haven't heard them being arrested or fined by any authority :D
That doesn't really imply that's the case though. Plenty of people speed most of the time and never get a ticket for it, but it doesn't mean that someone going the speed limit is somehow wrong for not going faster like some others usually do even if they don't end up with tickets.

appledefenceforce

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2015
That doesn't really imply that's the case though. Plenty of people speed most of the time and never get a ticket for it, but it doesn't mean that someone going the speed limit is somehow wrong for not going faster like some others usually do even if they don't end up with tickets.

Well they have had multiple international giveaways and many youtubers have as well. If they can do it I don't know why Macrumors can't. And plus even if they can't, then change the title of the posts so that international readers don't waste their time.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well they have had multiple international giveaways and many youtubers have as well. If they can do it I don't know why Macrumors can't. And plus even if they can't, then change the title of the posts so that international readers don't waste their time.
Hopefully in the future they'll might be able to. That said, that's quite a liberal use of "waste of time" there.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
The UK is probably Apple's second market after the US, I'm sure you could provide a second giveaway for us.

i find that hard to believe, we're a country of what, 65 million people? sure, it's important and fairly big but i dont think you could ever call the UK apple's "second market".

maybe some giveaways in china to draw in new readers from the actual 2nd market would go down well..

appledefenceforce

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2015
i find that hard to believe, we're a country of what, 65 million people? sure, it's important and fairly big but i dont think you could ever call the UK apple's "second market".

maybe some giveaways in china to draw in new readers from the actual 2nd market would go down well..

The second market after the US is China. And I think Japan has a higher adoption of Apple products than the UK as well.

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
From what i know no country in the EU forbid people to receive gifts. I wonder what laws are you referring to?
Macrumors have said this before - its just gets so complex once you expand outside the US - yes they could start Europe but there lawyers may not protect them or it just costs too much - its not like a major company and they cannot expand safely

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
From what i know no country in the EU forbid people to receive gifts. I wonder what laws are you referring to?
Like clockwork, every giveaway has at least one person questioning the US only rule. Maybe the first person to do so should also get a prize. :D

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Sucks. I've been a member on this forum for years, but cause I live in Australia I've been excluded from every competition Macrumors run. If international giveaways are too complex, how about running one competition exclusively for Aussies, or one exclusively for people in the UK? Plenty of us here being neglected.
I live in the uk and I can understand if something requires shipping as its expensive but competitions like this well seriously what's the reason this time!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I live in the uk and I can understand if something requires shipping as its expensive but competitions like this well seriously what's the reason this time!

Very much THIS

What is the problem sending a Username and Password over the internet to anywhere in the world, if it's something physical I can understand Macrumors but not this time.

budselectjr

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Minnesota
Very much THIS

What is the problem sending a Username and Password over the internet to anywhere in the world, if it's something physical I can understand Macrumors but not this time.

Very unfair. I always thought this was an international forum but now it's quite apparent that it's only for Americans

The reasons for this has been discussed like 200 times on here.

Unfortunately, the U.S. only restriction is due to the varying laws covering giveaways around the world. Some countries ban them entirely, some require an element of skill, some require selection by chance, some have language requirements (looking at you, Quebec), etc.

In short, it's a legal nightmare to even attempt to comply with laws in all of these countries, and we simply don't have the resources to manage it. We really wish we could, because we know we have many loyal readers around the world, but it's just not feasible. You'll see similar policies on many other major media sites that do giveaways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.