Macrumors & iCloud Keychain

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by jamesvdm, Oct 31, 2013.

1. jamesvdm macrumors regular

jamesvdm

Why doesn't Safari offer to save my Macrumors login details in my iCloud keychain?

2. palmharbor macrumors 6502

passwords

If it actually worked as it should there would be
    no market for other apps like one pass etc

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

4. iLeoMarc macrumors regular

Workaround

I too had issues with this. Finally found a workaround it.
    1. Enter User Name and Password in Macrumors Forum Login
    2. Do Not Hit Log In
    3. Instead Refresh Page in Safari
    4. Dialog Box asks if you want to reload page, click Reload
    5. Keychain dialog box should now come up

Hope this helps everyone with issues with macrumors & saving to iCloud keychain.

5. jamesvdm thread starter macrumors regular

jamesvdm

6. ASKendrew macrumors 6502

ASKendrew

7. nerfologist, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

nerfologist macrumors member

The workaround works as described, though I am still unable to store a keychain-generated random password :(

What I tried:

1. login to the site
    2. go to the password change page
    3. (current password is automatically inserted by keychain if you were able to save it using the workaround)
    4. click on the first "new password" field, accept the new generated password appearing in the box
    5. confirm

Outcome: the password has changed to the new random password from the forum's point of view, but keychain access still holds the old one.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You need to logout then repeat the above refresh page procedure with the new password.

So logout of MR. Enter your new PW in the login field then command-r to refresh the web page and you will get a popup asking if you want Keychain to update to the new password. Tell it yes, then go ahead and login to MR with the new PW.

This worked for me.

9. blackboxxx macrumors regular

Built-in password generator in Safari is completely useless on MacRumors (and probably other vBulletin forums).

Here are the steps I followed (Safari 7.0 on Mavericks 10.9 with iCloud keychain enabled):
    1. Read about security breach and recommendation to change the password.
    2. Go to User CP > Edit Email & Password.
    3. Notice that Safari helpfully auto-filled current password, but the 'New Email Address' is unhelpfully filled with my username ('Confirm New Email Address' has my email, however).
    4. Manually clear both email fields because I don't want to change email, only the password (it says right there that email address is optional).
    5. Click in the 'New Password' field, accept the suggested password.
    6. New password is automatically copied into the 'Confirm New Password' box, which is good.
    7. Submit the form, only to see the error message that email is required.
    8. Go back, repeat steps 5-6, this time filling in both email fields.
    9. Submit the form, success!
    10. Or not? Try to logout and login again — password is incorrect.
    11. Check the keychain — it still has the old password. New password is nowhere to be found.
    12. Curse at Apple, go through password recovery process.
    13. Repeat steps 2-4 and 8-9, this time using a proper random password.

Lesson learned: password generator in Safari is an unfinished product that should have never shipped in its current state. It works for new registrations most of the time, but fails if you go through a common password change procedure.
    The main problem is that it doesn't allow you to copy the suggested password — you either have to trust that it works this time, or grab a pen and paper.
    Because many users just accept whatever Safari auto-filled for them, there's a real possibility to be locked out of your account. As these users learn that Safari locks them out of their accounts, they will be less likely to use secure passwords and trust password managers in general.

10. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Works for me as well, no workaround needed.

11. nerfologist macrumors member

That's what I did in the end: note down the generated password when it's shown. Then use the workaround to save it in KeyChain as previously done.

Nevertheless, that's not the way it should work.

12. blackboxxx macrumors regular

Update: about three hours after changing my password, Mac AppStore popped up saying that updates were available and I clicked install (it was RAW compatibility update).
    Then immediately I got a notification that my iCloud keychain was reset and that I had to re-approve from my other device. So I approved from my iPhone and all passwords that I changed today were reverted to their old versions. Now I have to reset passwords on at least 4 different sites because they were stored only in iCloud keychain.

It's official — iCloud keychain cannot be trusted for anything.

13. Señor macrumors 6502

Señor

Thanks, I finally got this working.

However on some VBulletin forum-ran sites, you still need to enter it manually, hope they fix that.