MacRumors is biased in their reporting on Samsung vs Apple

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by gladoscc, Aug 2, 2012.

1. gladoscc macrumors 6502

2. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

They're only superficially similar to the iPhone, when viewed from the front. They're actually all slider phones with keyboards or keypads.

And, I'm pretty sure MacRumors has covered this.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If they have, I haven't seen it! Macrumors is definitely biased towards Apple. Numerous times, there's been really terrible Apple news, and somehow it gets posted first, and then another 2-3 stories about a new Apple store or the iLife .0.0.1 update something make it to the front page above it.

Lately, it's been in the form of Apple v. Samsung, where Apple is doing their duty to go after Samsung, those horrible copycats, but there's not been any front page news to show Samsung's side.

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Even if this were true, so what? It is afterall MACRumors..news WE (being Apple fans) care about...

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

This is old news. It shouldn't be surprising to anyone that they were working on bigger displays. Of course they were testing larger displays. The cost of production of such displays was dropping. One problem is that so many of the comments on here display far less comprehension than you would expect from the average junior engineer at either of these companies. Many of the comments on similarity come from people who have never directly compared. They take whatever matches their desired viewpoint as fact. The articles themselves are designed as light reading. It's reasonable to expect people reading this site have an interest in Apple. They don't have to preset such a set narrative though.

6. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Dare I say DUH?!?

It's MAC RUMOURS not Unbiased Forum Rumours.......

Read the ones on the Android forums, they are canted towards Samsung.

Since when has any sort of press been unbiased??

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Being macrumors merely establishes the primary subject matter. It does not require spinning the articles in a biased manner.

8. Silver Box macrumors member

To be honest the sudden mysterious appearance of pro-android/Samsung users in the leaked iPhone parts threads makes me wonder if im reading an Apple or Google forum sometimes... :p That said, Samsung have obviously (at the very least) been influenced by Apple, i owned a number of Samsung phones before the iphone launch and they had nothing on the market like it. Everyone neutral can see it, and imo Samsung are scrambling desperately to prove otherwise. The truth will come out.

9. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

In my opinion, I'm getting tired of having these disputes in the main article section on the homepage. I would imagine having it on the side would help keep more important Apple news in the main article section, especially Mac news.

10. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

The articles on the front page are displayed in the order they were posted. If a post about a new Apple store gets published after the article on The Trials, then it will be shown, above the article about The Trials.

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Maybe have an Apple Legal Blog ?

They appear to be sticking around for a while.

;)

12. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

If you want to read truly biased reporting and comments, then "the Reigster" is still running. And that is meant to be a serious publication, not an Android fan/rumour site.

MacRumors looks brilliantly impartial in comparison.

13. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

If it was as clear as this person claims the case never would of made it to court.

In fact it's MUCH more complicated than that, both parties have patents, both parties are attempting to protect all of them.

No one on this forum knows the facts well enough to pass judgement either way. Just let the judge(s) decide.

That doesn't change my disdain for Samsung, they're a horribly corrupt company within their country, whether they infringed on this or that patent we'll know soon, but what they've done as a business copying Apple's accessories, packaging etc is enough to turn me off the company. I have zero respect for Samsung and hope Apple wins.

14. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Take a look at Droid Life and other Android communities.

15. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Bleh...these forums and things report in a biased manner at times because it probably generates page hits due to the sensationalism. I don't have a lot of interest in the Android community sites though. I read about the Macs far more than phones.

16. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I know that. The point I was trying to make was that stories that are critical of Apple are conveniently posted immediately before trivial posts, so that the critical ones aren't seen as much.

17. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I've seen a lot of stupid threads around here, but this one is up there on Teh List. I can't even post it in the Amusing Thread Titles thread because it actually makes me a little bit sad that it seems to have been posted to and replied to in earnest. :(

18. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Let's see then.

More Early iPhone and iPad Prototype Designs Surface in Samsung Trial Documents
    Monday July 30, 2012 9:07 am PDT by Eric Slivka

Former Apple Ad Man Slams 'Genius' TV Spots as "Landing With A Thud"
    Monday July 30, 2012 11:15 am PDT by Jordan Golson

Jonathan Ive on Design and Apple's Focus on Great Products Instead of Profits
    Monday July 30, 2012 1:03 pm PDT by Eric Slivka

Apple Media Event All But Confirmed for September 12th, iPhone Launch Likely [Updated]
    Monday July 30, 2012 1:49 pm PDT by Eric Slivka

So, 3 articles, none of which are very lengthy, follow 2, 4, and 5 hours afterwards respectively, after which, the article then sat overnight. Even then, still on the front page.

19. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You sense a conspiracy where there is none. We post when we have news. We might hold a piece for a brief period if we've just published something else, but we don't purposely publish something immediately after something else to lessen the first one's visibility.

As for a slant on the coverage, there may be some. In general, we're trying to minimize coverage of the legal disputes themselves, and I suppose we're most spurred to post something when it's major news from Apple...that's our focus.

Most of the coverage we've been doing on the case has been about iPhone and iPad prototypes and other discussion from Apple's filings on the history of device development...things specific to Apple design rather than the patent/design dispute. We find that much more interesting.

In our effort to minimize overall coverage of the proceedings, yes, some of Samsung's arguments get lower-profile coverage as we lump them in with other developments in an effort not to overwhelm the front page with articles every time each side says something.

20. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Hardly surprising. Macrumors makes a living writing about Apple, and I'm pretty sure that they're depending a lot on Apple's good will.

21. Tinmania, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

In other news Katy Perry's fan club is thought to be biased towards Katy Perry.

Michael

22. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Can we get the vote down button back at least for this thread :D ?

23. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

And what good will would that be? They generally won't even give us the time of day.

24. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

I'm not particularly fond of memes but this just... fits.

[​IMG]

25. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

[​IMG]