Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Mike Teezie said:
I should be able to get my Dual G5 in a few weeks.

Would that help if I joined the team?

Obviously I'm gonig to join anyway, I'm just curious how much my machine will help. Really, I don't know much about folding. Tell me what I need to do.
We have several G5 members, and they are kicking.

With a G5 like yours will produce near 40-80 (I've seen 120 in one day once) points which is a very nice thing.

Thanks for your support.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
MrMacman do you know why I'm not listed in the members milestone in the last seven days list?

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
I actually think InCrease is a great program, and I am using it right now. If you want to give people an example of what to put in the team number box, put the tip in parenthesis below or next to the box, not actually in the box. I think it'd be less confusing too...

Either way, I'll agree that InCrease is a great program that makes it easier for more mac users to fold.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
G4scott said:
I actually think InCrease is a great program, and I am using it right now. If you want to give people an example of what to put in the team number box, put the tip in parenthesis below or next to the box, not actually in the box. I think it'd be less confusing too...

Either way, I'll agree that InCrease is a great program that makes it easier for more mac users to fold.

Funny, a few people (I was one of them) were reacting similarly to what Vlade was planning to make folding easier to set up with the console client. He was planning to supply 3446 in the setup. I'm sure most teams would not want to use something from another team that was that easy to re-direct output.

calxalot

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2004
InCrease is not on Panther CDs

If InCrease is on your desktop, it's because you clicked the download link. It's distributed as a "net-enabled" disk image, which means it automatically gets mounted, has its contents copied to the desktop, gets unmounted, and the .dmg gets tossed into the trash.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Yeah, I was going to say, it would be kind of weird to find that increase was on the Panther CD's, seeing as that Apple doesn't normally change the software on their CD's that often, and that not many people would know what to do with it.

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
i just added a 4th machine to my personal folding arsenal.
a 2.6ghz Pentium 4 that is idle for about 20 hours a day. hopefully this will help keep things up through this Tinker storm.

the current Platoon:
450mhz G4 Tower
867mhz G4 Powerbook
766mhz Pentium 3 Dell Tower
2.6ghz Pentium 4 Medion Tower

probably little more than the power of 1 dual G5, but what ya gonna do.
i might be able to add another 733mhz Pentium 3 next month, i have a skeleton machine that just needs a hard drive and some ram.
we're narrowing in on the Speedguide.net team.. we can do it!!!

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
adamjay said:
i just added a 4th machine to my personal folding arsenal.
a 2.6ghz Pentium 4 that is idle for about 20 hours a day. hopefully this will help keep things up through this Tinker storm.

the current Platoon:
450mhz G4 Tower
867mhz G4 Powerbook
766mhz Pentium 3 Dell Tower
2.6ghz Pentium 4 Medion Tower

probably little more than the power of 1 dual G5, but what ya gonna do.
i might be able to add another 733mhz Pentium 3 next month, i have a skeleton machine that just needs a hard drive and some ram.
we're narrowing in on the Speedguide.net team.. we can do it!!!
Cool.

Nice Setup there. :)

Mind if a steal one? ;)

Yeah speedguide is a coming.

jbeetz

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2004
Rower_CPU said:
assuming that jbeetz isn't messing around. ;)

Nope, was as serious as a heart attack. It popped up "mysteriously", but honestly, this is a family machine and when I did the panther upgrade I booted it direct from CD so my surprise came after reboot. Looking through the install log for evidence was, well, gawd!!! have you ever tried to trace that thing after an OS upgrade? :eek:

Anyway, a later poster (the author?) said InCrease had to have been installed "on purpose" by pressing the download button, so I checked Safari's download manager and sure enough, there was InCrease. So I must assume that an unbeknownst person must have done it on purpose (or "on accident", if interrogated)... it's appearance in connection with upgrade process was most likely coincidental.

Oh, I had to relinquish control of the non-home folding machines and sadly, the home machine is so slow it's not worth the electricity. So I haven't been helping at all. Sorry all!

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
Speaking of milestones... to toot my own horn, I just passed 10,000 points today. I have typically just used my work comp to fold, but I am looking to recruit other machines.

PyroTurtle

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2001
10 Minutes from Disneyland
well, i'm down a computer. folding@home doesn't work on ppc linux...
so now i've got:

1x800Mhz G4 Tower
1x867Mhz G4 Tower
2x1.2Ghz G4 Tower (at work, so not consistent)
1x867 G4 Laptop

looking at getting some mATX machines with athalons in there to help out the folding team. and does anyone know if you can cluster folding on any platform? cause i'd gladly do it with my linux farm, i just have no time to figure it out...stupid work

so what really is the ULTIMATE foldign machine?

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
ultimate would be a combination of two machines...a dual Opteron (or 64 FX) and a dual G5...with some sort of "selector" to make the gromacs hit the G5 and the tinkers go to the AMD...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
PyroTurtle said:
well, i'm down a computer. folding@home doesn't work on ppc linux...
so now i've got:

1x800Mhz G4 Tower
1x867Mhz G4 Tower
2x1.2Ghz G4 Tower (at work, so not consistent)
1x867 G4 Laptop

looking at getting some mATX machines with athalons in there to help out the folding team. and does anyone know if you can cluster folding on any platform? cause i'd gladly do it with my linux farm, i just have no time to figure it out...stupid work

so what really is the ULTIMATE foldign machine?

Are Athalons the processors for athaletes? :p

The ultimate machine? I'd say that a dual Athlon MP system would be great, but Tyan has a new motherboard to support four 64-bit AMD processors. That has to dispatch work units faster than any other consumer motherboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.