MacRumors Lack of Mods

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by DoFoT9, Mar 18, 2010.

1. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Hey guys,

this is by no means a cop-out, and please, correct me if i am wrong.

i am currently looking at the show-groups page of MR. (here). currently, i can see NO mods active from that page. now i know that it doesnt mean that nobody is watching (could be hidden etc) but it does worry me that there is the possibility that nobody is watching over MR at this current moment! :eek:

so can i just ask (if i may), are there any plans to expand the mod team of MR? i notice that it has been VERY busy here lately, posts are everywhere (!) and there are a lot of new posters who seem to be breaking the rules more and more.

DoFoT9

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Over the past couple of weeks it has got better, but I have noticed lack of mods during the UK morning time zone.

Saying that post reports are dealt with relatively quickly, but it would make sense to have someone 'overlooking' us.:)

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

MR is moderated by volunteers spanning a wide range of time zones

However, 24/7 coverage is not only an unreasonable expectation, it is not really necessary

Rarely is there an "outbreak" of anything that cannot be handled as moderators check in

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Keep in mind, not all mods (as well as members) show active at all even if they're online because they're invisible.

Have you recently run into a problem that was not solved immediately or within a fairly acceptable timeframe?

5. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    They modding is pretty good I think. I always get my posts deleted and timed out when I unload on someone :p

6. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

same sort of situation here in the Aus timezone. our 10pm is something like 4am in the US, so we have a lot of posts around that time

thats true!

yes definetely i agree there, my posts are always deleted quickly ;) its just that nobody was online and might convey a bad image of the forums to some users.

i know that silly, i said that in the OP :D

hmm not recently no, tbh. everything is running smoothly :)

haha yes ditto.

there is now 1 mod reported being active :D haha

p.s. my email notifications arent working :(

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you haven't run into an issue then why the thread? I get you're just expressing a thought but it's a thought that is fairly sensitive, has been brought up a number of times before, and rarely ends well. The thread gets closed, you get offended, and the cycle restarts with some other enterprising member who thinks this thought is at all original.

I am not defending mods so much as I'm thinking this topic gets discuss quite often and nothing changes. I believe, but I could be wrong, MR admins believe they have an adequate number of mods to date. /shrug

8. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

let me start by expressing my logic behind me opening this thread...

basically, i just thought it would be an idea for a running update on the "mod situation". it is MUCH better to bring an issue to light before its too late, am i correct? i dont want this to turn into a typical mod thread. all i am asking for is some sort of update of what the admins think about MR. information is the key in any scenario!

i chose a thread title that isnt too provocative, and it doesnt really point fingers either. so im hoping that the wrong intentions arent put across.

thats a good point. there are a good number of mods - but this issue is more related to the time frame/timezone that im in, there doesnt seem to be as many as in the US.

i have no idea internally about how pressured the mods are as im just a peasant poster, however i would like this thread to be more of an informative discussion from general posters -> moderators, to inform us. is that too much to ask? or is it a private topic?

the mods on this forum are absolutely amasing btw. :)

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Then maybe we all need to move to your land and it'll be an MR free for all! :p

10. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you're welcome. bring faster internet connections with you!!

MR is timing out for me tonight :( thanks australia.

any mods keen to give me a "run down"? ;)

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Nah I'm content where I'm at ... with decent interwebz.

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I understand what you're saying, and I'm usually heading to bed at about 8 pm your time so I'd miss anything posted after that. On the other hand, some of the Europe-based moderators should be online by then. As far as time zones go, we have most of them covered.

Also, I'd advise against encouraging more users to overload the "wet piece of string" that is Australia's broadband network :p

13. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thats true, most of them lads should start to be waking up by then! the amount of posts at that time wouldnt be anywhere near as high compared to when US is awake.

hey - you also go through that piece of string! watch it buddy otherwise you will be using satellite for the rest of your life ;)

14. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I hear that if you hold it taut enough, speeds up to 9600 baud are achievable.

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

You sent dial-up shivers up my back. :eek:

Don't miss those days at all.

On a side note, I can get a Pocket WiFi (like the Verizon MiFi) with 7.2Mbps DL and 5.8Mbps UP speeds. Cost about $60 per month for unlimited use. Sweet.

Snort!

I bet you have to hold it really tight to get those speeds. Ha ha!

Don't really see an issue at this time.

16. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

jealous. $30 give about 3GB of use per month at those speeds

you still need that emoticon ;)

please keep this thread NON-SEXUAL. :rolleyes: ;)

there is so much more traffic lately. what the plans are for the future is important to me. if it gets too busy (and quality control goes down), i might not enjoy being here anymore! (doubtful)

just thought that it would be a good idea to present the topic. just to see everybodys opinion. now everybody thinks im bashing :(

17. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I don't think anyone really feels like you are bashing, so I wouldn't worry about that

It is is an issue that runs in cycles and comes up from time to time

18. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i hope not. i wouldnt want to get into trouble :( im in love with these forums and im just trying to help out in any way that i can. if this forum can help to identify a possible problem then im satisfied :D

19. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

AU$92/month gets us unlimited national calling and unlimited GB with no 64 kb/s slowdown... beat that! :p

20. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i cant. im embarrased.

$100Aus for 25GB (then capped to 64kbps). calls arent included in that price, they are on another bill. :(

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm on an "expensive" plan: AU$69 for phone line (with free local calls) and broadband up to 24 Mb/s, then 92c/GB. It's good for me because I don't make any toll calls (I use my cellphone instead since I have free minutes) and I usually only use around 20 GB so it's cheaper than paying for the $92 one. But if I have a "big" month then I can still get at that data without any slowdowns :)

22. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

92c GB? wow. i wouldnt mind having an option like that. having caps SUCK.

our household uses around 25GB on a quiet month. we always get capped. upgrading to higher data caps in infeasible for the price.

23. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Ha! Sustained or theoretical? ;)

24. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

$37.95 gets you 3.0 Mbps down/320 kbps up unmetered where I live. (USA) We have used 5 GB in 1 day before.

25. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

lucky you! unmetered costs >$100 from here - and not many people can get it as most exchanges are locked out :(