Macrumors LinkedIn group?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by ezekielrage_99, Jun 17, 2008.

1. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Hi people,

I am sorry if this is posted in the wrong place but I use LinkedIn all the time for professional use and I was wondering why there isn't a Macrumors group on there?

I'm guessing there would be plently of professionals on Macrumors who use or would really benefit from a Macrumors group on LinkedIn.

Cheers :apple:

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

You can create a group yourself on LinkedIn if you want; I'd suggest that we get a God to create it, or at least approve it first, though.

As to why it hasn't been done yet, there may not be the type of networking there that users here prefer, not enough interest, or some other reason(s) entirely.

3. therevolution macrumors 6502

I'm on LinkedIn, but I don't use it too much. Can you explain what the point would be? What can you do there that you can't do here?

I don't personally see a reason to want to associate yourself professionally with MacRumors, as lovely a site as it is. ;)

4. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I can agree with this. I've got a LI profile. but since it's used for making connections with people who know people who know you (all the while in a business atmosphere) I'd be hard pressed to find a professional, business use for it (other than making me look popular by adding thousands of MacRumors LinkIn contacts)

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have to agree. LinkedIn isn't supposed to be a social networking site to make buddies. It's a professional network site that should be considered a resource for keeping in contact with past and present colleagues. I know I use it to keep in touch with the variety of people who I have worked with in the past who are now unemployed.

Make the group, but I think MR is doing just fine the way it is. If you want to link yourself professionally to people here because you all have similar professional backgrounds, disassociate yourself with MR and associate yourself with that person.

6. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

Guess that explains all of the LinkedIn groups associated with sports teams, etc.

I'm sorry that you received the initial response you did. I think you made a good suggestion.

7. ezekielrage_99 thread starter macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I was just thing more the "professional aspect", Logopond is setting up a group and I just thought with so many professional on Macrumors it wouldn't be a bad idea....

8. therevolution macrumors 6502

You make it sound like we crushed his hopes and dreams. :eek:

I'm just saying I don't see the point in using LinkedIn to join random groups with people I don't know, even if it is MR. As with jessica. and melrose, I also use it as basically an online Rolodex to track real-life business acquaintances. I guess some people would rather pretend it's Facebook. Okay, fair enough.

No one is saying you can't do it. By all means, go for it. If lots of people join, great. Not saying they won't, just saying I personally don't see a reason to join.

9. ezekielrage_99 thread starter macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

You all have crushed my spirit, I'm now sitting curled up in the fetal position gently rocking while posting this message...

:eek:

10. operator207 macrumors 6502

Prove it with a penny pic! ;)

J/K

I think you have a good initial idea, but I do se where others are getting where its more of a business environment. I have had a few people on linkedin that I worked with, when they quit or got fired they spammed their users with email after email of crap about the company they got fired from, and their new company. It was a bit annoying. I cannot imagine thousands of people signing up at once, and then using it like that for one reason or another.