**Macrumors Member Tested iPad 3 Cases ONLY

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by i1alian085, Mar 19, 2012.

1. i1alian085 macrumors member

There seems to be a lot of speculation on cases for The new iPad, and which ones actually fit.

I started this thread to make it easier for the iPad 3 (the new iPad) owner's to be able to choose a case that has been tried by the members of MacRumors.

There are issues with cases not fitting due to the increase width of the iPad 3, as well as the magnet issue for the sleep/wake feature.

Please only post a case that you have bought, if you own an iPad 3, and have tested it with the new case!!!

I am waiting on my new iPad to get here, but would like to buy a case for when it arrives. I am nervous with all of the manufacturer emails and user reviews.

Thank you!

----------

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD304LL/A?fnode=MTc0MjU2Mjc

obviously this has been tested haha.

any others?

2. Mlang2000 macrumors newbie

As I posted in the other thread, the rooCASE Dual-View Multi Angle case I have fits and wakes/sleeps correctly.

That said, the problem with these lists is many of the manufacturers didn't put the magnets in the exact same direction every time. That's why some work and some don't.

The only real benefit of these lists is to know how well the new iPad fits inside the case, not if they wake/sleep correctly.

3. i1alian085 thread starter macrumors member

i am just frustrated because everytime i see a review for a case that works, someone else posts and says it doesn't fit. or there is an email from the manufacturer saying a fix is coming.

most of the posts so far have been from people who 'anticipate' it will work.

i want to see reviews of people who have a new case, and a new ipad, and they work perfectly together. i think for the kind of money we spend on apple products - it is owed to us to have some level of confidence.

4. Mlang2000 macrumors newbie

5. PittsDriver macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

Speck Pixelskin HD from the iPad 2 works perfectly.

6. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Just fooling around at Best Buy yesterday:

Incase:
    -Mag Snap did NOT fit (tried 4)
    -Book Jacket Select DID fit
    -Book Jacket Classic DID fit

Targus:
    -Slim DID fit
    -Versavu DID fit
    -Vuscape DID fit

Otterbox:
    -Defender DID fit

Speaking from personal ownership:
    Yoobao Gen 2 Executive Leather Folio DOES fit but it's tight

7. Talon Six, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  8. batotman macrumors 6502

Speck FitFolio for Ipad 2 fits perfectly

Incipio NGP for Ipad 2 fits perfectly

I own both.

9. i1alian085 thread starter macrumors member

here is what i don't understand...

the ipad 3 is thicker. it has different curves to it - yet the ipad 2 cases fit? they can't. the leather ones can because it can stretch.

are no companies making brand new, designed for the ipad 3 cases?
    or are they just putting 'works with ipad 3'

10. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Clearly, some of the iPad 2 cases fit, even the form-fitting ones. I personally cannot get an Incase Mag Snap to fit and I've tried like 8 now. However, many users on these forums claim they can get the iPad 2 MagSnaps to fit an iPad 3.

Either "fit" is in the eye of the beholder or there are variations of manufactured goods out there. I'm betting its a mix of both. Some iPad 2 cases just weren't as "form fitting" as others.

11. i1alian085 thread starter macrumors member

this is the most frustrating purchase i have ever made.

it seems that every single case has issues.

i want a case that was made with the new specs of the ipad 3. the thickness is different, the camera is bigger etc. it's been almost a month now - and cases still aren't out.

the issues are with the ones made for the ipad 2. i bought a case from best buy because it had a sticker on the ipad 2 box that said 'compatible with ipad 3"

i paid $600 for my ipad and all i am looking to do is protect it. this hit or miss with the magnets, and ipad 2 cases working and not working is insane.

12. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

I'm all about aluminum protection, not into folios. I own these 3 shells, they all fit perfectly:

Macally SmartMate (hardshell thin, black rubber finish, locks in Smart Cover)

http://www.macally.com/en/product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=433

SwitchEasy Nude (hardshell thick, clear, no Smart Cover opening)

http://www.switcheasy.com/store/product/NUDE_iPad2

Marware Microshell (hardshell thin, black rubber finish, unlocked Smart Cover)

http://www.marware.com/microshell-case-for-the-new-ipad

I have ordered this case, confirmed it fits in other forums:

Monoprice Premium Polycarbonate (hardshell, thin, black rubber finish, *rare* no Smart Cover opening)

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10843&cs_id=1084315&p_id=8438&seq=1&format=2

BJ

13. i1alian085 thread starter macrumors member

how does the smartmate lock in the smart cover? i don't understand. sorry.

14. jessbarney777 macrumors newbie

I know this case fits

My Leather Case Genius from Zoogue.com fits. Its very adjustable and I really use the strap to hold it in one hand while working, or to play a movie for my kid with using the adjustable car headrest strap.

http://www.zoogue.com/new-ipad-leather-cases/

Hope that helps! :)

15. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

[​IMG]

No problem.

The "locking" back shells have a bit of curved plastic (see photo) that fits around the magnetic hinge on the Smart Cover pinching the cover firmly to the shell.

The positive: the Smart Cover is on there, isn't coming off accidentally.

The negative: if you want the Smart Cover off, you need to remove the shell to get it off.

Here's a video of it in the thicker clear color; I have it in the thinner black rubberized color:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSRkA6L_OR0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

BJ

16. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

17. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Speck Pixelskin fits fine but no sleep/awake magnets

Griffin Intellicase works but a very tight fit - definitely no wiggle room or chance of falling out. Magnets work perfectly with sleep/awake function.

18. iMule macrumors 6502

STM Skinny 3 definitely works. It's made for the new iPad. On/off is flawless. She's a beaut!

Attached Files:

19. xraydoc, Apr 4, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012

xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

• Snugg iPad 2 leather case - fits/works perfectly with iPad 3

• STM Skinny 3 - fit/works perfectly with iPad 3

• Targus Vuscape for iPad 2 - fits/works with iPad 3 but just a little tight going in; not really an issue unless you plan on taking the iPad out of this case very frequently

20. Sterne macrumors member

Cases that I have tried-

Portenzo for the new iPad
    Maroo for the new iPad (Kumara and Aranga)

I will vouch for these, they fit and magnets work (make sure you get a newly made Maroo, the first ones were hit and miss with the magnets.)

21. laurenr macrumors 6502a

The Joy Factory SmartSuit 3 was specifically made for the new iPad. It has a hard- shell rear and a 4 fold front cover. The case really is fabulous. See the thread, I posted a review when I received mine yesterday.mthe magnets work perfectly.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1349417&page=4

22. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

The newest Bear Motion works perfectly. If you need something a little lighter my new favorite is the yoobao for the iPad 3. Black for me and yellow for my wife.