Macrumors members a bunch of complainers and trolls?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by lallenlowe, Nov 8, 2007.

1. lallenlowe macrumors member

I am not starting this thread to piss anyone off or anything. But as I post to more and more threads, I realize the dire situation here at Macrumors. I made a simple post about how I like quicksilver over "older" organization methods, and I GOT FLAMED! Not sure why!?
    Also, when did Macrumors people become Apple Haters? All i read are threads about how Apple's losing their edge, or slipping, or running out of ideas. Or how all the new things in leopard suck etc...
    AM I THE ONLY TRUE MAC FAN LEFT??! WHAT'S GOING ON IN HERE?

</RANT>

lallenlowe

2. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

Because people mostly only post a thread when they have a problem with a apple product or when they have complaints on apple, not when they are happy with it. There are people who do, and i like that!

I think erverybody here likes apple, but everyone has the personal meaning and some people like this, some that.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

4. lallenlowe thread starter macrumors member

you are so right!

So everyone who reads this thread, let's start some positive threads!!!! below are some examples, or possibilities!

"Macbook, coolest thing ever?"

or "HELP, I love my iMac way too much!"

or "iPhone working perfectly, WHAT DO I DO?"

or "Damn Apple.........Haters!"

5. Queso macrumors G4

We're not all complainers and trolls, not by a long shot.

And some of us do still like Apple, even if they have become an evil controlling monolithic capitalistic enterprise selling overpriced shoddily made products*

* That's a joke you lot. Calm down before you burst a blood vessel ;)

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

OP, here's that post in which you "discussed" the merits of Quicksilver:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4462427&postcount=42

and here is the response you got which made you feel upset right?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4462800&postcount=45

Now, I can see why you felt a tad bit insulted by the response, but I think your tone of "the dock is outdated, why bother with it!" kind of pushed that poster over the edge a little. I'm not defending his response, I'm merely trying to put some perspective on the whole thing.

As for your original assertion, whether we've all become Mac/Apple haters...I think you're mistaking frank criticism with fanboyism. We don't have to be blind Apple fanatics in order to like Apple's products. We can be honest in our judgements of Apple and its policies (not accepting giftcards or cash for iPhones rather rubs me the wrong way).

In any case, give this forum a bit more time before you make rash judgements; a month is hardly enough time to declare with any certainty that we've all become Apple haters ;) :)

7. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I agree...
    this is the case in every forum...chances that you read something bad are just higher than reading something good...
    as for the manners on this forum I like it here and it is one of the best sources to get help online in my opinion.

8. mpw Guest

When Apple started to slip, lose their edge and run out of ideas.... and all the stuff dynamicv mentioned...... except the joking.

9. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Yes.

10. Queso macrumors G4

Heh! How are the Weather Girls? :D

11. emw macrumors G4

emw

Macrumors members a bunch of complainers and trolls?

Well, apparently at least a small subset is.

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Oh, sure I get completely fired up and burst that big vessel in my temple and now I look like Gorbachev.
    I hope you're happy.

13. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

sorry that you feel that way, but we aren't all like that.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Apple is not 100% perfect altho some might want to think they are. Not everyone will agree with everything and people will complain. People have a right to their opinions wether you like it or not.

I think a lot of people don't want to hear about the iPhone anymore. It does get on the nerves, best thing is to just ignore the stuff that bothers you.

15. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, it is best to ignore the stuff that bothers you. that's good advice. some people don't listen though

16. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Most of us buy Macs because the alternative is less desirable. That doesn't make us blind 'fanboys'. In five years, if another company exists making high quality, reliable, good-looking, easy-to-use, etc., machines I'd happily jump ship. I'm not attached at the hip to my iMac. That said, I don't have a problem saying what I like or don't like about my machine, but I'm far more likely to mention the latter.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

People don't normally start a thread about how good a product works. I've got nothing but praise for Leopard, iPod 5.5, iPod Shuffle 2G, 12" PowerBook and C2D iMacs (before metal 'uns cropped up). Start a thread about those and I'll post :D

18. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Would you rather these forums be a fan boy fest instead?

As long as you can back up your reasons for criticising Apple, or anything else ( and that is indeed true also for positive posts too ), then no one should be labelled a troll. Unfortunately there are a minority of people on here ( too immature maybe?) that believe anyone criticising Apple, even if for good reason, are trolls.

Aren't these forums for discussions and a place to debate? A good discussion can be really good fun, to read other people's views, to debate different ideas. Unfortunately, all too often gets ruined by others who start the 'troll' name calling or unwarranted flame baits.

19. 210 macrumors regular

Rating

I do wonder about the ratings on stories on the front page. No matter what the story, there's always a few negatives within the first minute of the story being posted.

20. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

That's because everyone views it differently. For example, a story about the macbook updates last week might be seen as positive to someone who got what they wanted in the update, or negative by someone else if they were hoping for more in the update.

21. OdduWon macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

I think some Flamers/Trolls are playing off the "Apple User" image. Where there is love, there is weakness. Henry Cameron knew that.

22. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

IMO, those ratings are a waste of time and too ambiguous. People vote negative for many reasons - maybe the story doesn't interest them, maybe the story is BS, or that it should have been on Page 2 etc etc.

To highlight my point:

Going back to the story of "SJ beats Cancer" on MR. There were a lot of positives of course... and a lot of negatives.

On first glance some may think those who voted "Negative" wanted SJ to die? Not so, there were many reasons why someone may vote negative, one reason may have been 'Its bad that he had cancer to begin with'. Maybe some actually did want SJ to die, but anyway...

The voting system needs looking at, as it stands, it doesn't give much value.

23. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Agreed. Everything on the MR page design and layout is there for a reason. There are also many things that could be there, but are not, (e.g. images in signatures) as they distract from the clean layout.

Did I say everything ... ? No, the voting system has no clear reason for its existence. It sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the other design elements.

If Arn had some rationale that the rest of us couldn't comprehend for that design element, well, it is his site. But he has publicity stated several times that he has no real guidelines or concepts in mind for the voting, that the votes could mean anything.

There's two ways forwards - either remove the voting, or clarify what a yes/no vote should mean. I'm happy with either one. Of course, with a clarification, some people will still disregard the rules, but the rest of us can take that into account when looking at the vote results.

I know that if I knew what a yes/no vote was supposed to mean, I'd vote on stories far more often.

24. benfilan macrumors 6502

benfilan

guys, lets just all have a big group hug.

our macbooks are amazing,
    our imacs are amazing,
    our macbook pros are amazing,
    our ipods are amazing.

we love apple. apple loves us. shes just going through a bit of a stroppy patch and bricking our <my> stuff.

if you are feeling a bit disenchanted with your macintosh, use a vista laptop for just one day. :cool:

25. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

For all those QS 'haters': You don't hate QS, you just don't know QS :)