MacRumors Members in or near the Augusta, Ga area!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Stephen Dowling, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Stephen Dowling macrumors regular

Stephen Dowling

Hey guys! As you can tell by the name, I'm just curious to see how many MR members live in or around the Augusta, Georgia area! Also, post anything you want about where you got your Mac, and how you like it! Or, you could even post things relating to our PeachMac store! Have Fun! :apple:

2. AngryApple macrumors 6502

3. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Sadly, I'm from the North so I've not been lucky enough to enjoy true Southern food except for the 18 months I spent in Kentucky many years ago -- saw true Southern hospitality, class, and intelligence there. Plus lots of tasty food. Good memories. But I have a burning question (or two):

Is it true that no self-respecting Southerner eats instant grits? :D

How do Southerners make grits if they're somewhere else (in the North or in another country) where it's hard to get authentic ingredients needed to make a favorite comfort food dish?

4. AngryApple macrumors 6502

I hate grits. To be honest, I don't know anyone who likes grits.

5. Stephen Dowling thread starter macrumors regular

Stephen Dowling

@electroshock

Man do I love grits! I don't live in Atlanta. I live in a little town called Evans and my grandparents on my mother's side live in a VERY small town called Baxley, Ga. Try and find that on a map!

Anyways, I'm not sure where to get ingredients for grits up north, but all grits are is coarsely ground corn. They sell it in bags down here. Also, Instant grits aren't too common for a REAL breakfast, but sometimes if you're in a rush...haha.

Anyways, there's not too much to cooking
    grits. You just pour the grits in a pot of
    boiling water according to the instructions
    on the bag usually. You cook it over
    medium to low heat stirring as it cooks. If
    you don't stir it occasionally it clumps up
    and may even stick.

There are a lot of things you can do to enhance
    the flavor.

- My grandmother used to stir in raw eggs
    as her grits cooked. It gave it a unique
    flavor.

- We also used to add fatback to our grits.
    Fatback is salted pork with the skin attached.
    It is mostly fat so when you fry it your get
    a lot of salty grease and a crispy piece of
    skin. We used to sprikle to cooked fatback
    over our grits to add a little flavor. We
    also used to pour a little of the grease onto
    the grits to add a little flavor.

It's not really good for you, but...they're good grits! :D

I hoped this helps!

6. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

I live in Gwinnett county (metroatlanta area), so i'm not too far away from you!

And i despise grits :p

7. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

8. samiwas macrumors 65816

Don't you know that we dropped "Hotlanta" months ago??? We became "The Big A". But since you can't possibly have a nickname for more than a few months at a time, because, well, that becomes stale...you come up with a new one and make it even shorter. So you now live in Metro "The A". I swear...before long people are going to ask where I live, and it's just going to be a short grunt. :rolleyes:

BTW..."The A" is the stupidest name I have ever heard...and I live right in the middle of it.

9. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

:) Thanks, guys!

Stephen, sounds interesting. Reminds me a bit of a Japanese dish called gyudon or beef donburi -- basically hot steamed rice filling up a bowl then thin strips of beef and onion and a raw egg or two floating on the top, then the bowl's covered for a minute or two allowing the egg to cook. By the time it arrives at the table, it's now cooked. So I can see how mixing raw egg with grits has its own way of making sense -- I'll have to try that sometime.

I've also heard that some of the better grits involves preparing grits on the same cast iron skillet after freshly cooking bacon and keeping the drippings in the pot. Going to keep cardiologists in business and it's eventually going to be extremely painful. But, boy, what a great way to live. :D

10. Stephen Dowling thread starter macrumors regular

Stephen Dowling

I'd have to agree on "The A's" constant name changes. I live about and hour and a half away from Atlanta, so I'm there a lot. I remember when it was A-town. haha. Anyways, back to electroshock; a lot of people do cook grits on the same skillet right after cooking bacon, sausage, or ham! Oh, and for all you grits haters, I bet it's because you've never had real grits! ;)