MacRumors: Monthly Rumor Roundup-zine

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by EvanLugh, May 6, 2008.

1. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Okay, so the title went a bit skew-wiff.
    I was thinking, how about a PDF-Style Magazine from things related in MR:F(?).
    It would be a monthly release, covering anything posted on the forums. Not long, maximum of say 7-10 pages. SFW.

Examples are..Perhaps reviewing an application discussed in the Applications forum, or summing up the likely-hood of a rumor becoming true?

Just a thought, but I think it would be a really good, enriching and fun idea for a few community members to talk and publish a well presented, informational & interesting PDF magazine.

What do you think? :eek:

2. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I think it's a very interesting idea, although some obstacles spring to mind.

For one, who would work on it? How would they be chosen? Would a moderator/admin have to be one of the final editors to ensure quality?

Would it offer anything the front page stories don't at the moment?

Analysis, almost resembling a column, is likely to be there right? If so, how are the columnists chosen? Do they have to be members of MR?

Sorry, just throwing stuff out at you randomly. :)

3. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Why have a monthly round-up ? If one looks at the URL area one sees "RSS"

Simply subscribe to whatever feed you want and that becomes a round-up.

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

RSS came to mind when I first read it as well, but I think the OP is going for something along the lines of a magazine that includes reviews, opinions, and other things like that.

Almost like an "expert-written" version of the forums.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

if anything it would be nice to get an email/front page posting on a regular basis that consists of a 'roundup' of sorts.

a lot of news stories get posted at times, and its easy to miss, especially for those who don't visit daily. a monthly email to those who would like it, with a short synapsis of whats been happening would be nice. links back to the original stories, and can give an idea if a story was just a fake rumor, or appears to be more than that.

6. EvanLugh thread starter macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Questions are clearly more than welcome!

Q: Who would work on it?
    A: Good question. Obviously trustworthy users, yet it can't sound or be set across as biased. Members should forward themselves with skills, such as GFX, writing skills etc. Of course, I would like to be part of it :)p).

Q:Would it offer anything the front page stories don't at the moment?
    A: Of Course. As my not-so-example showed, it would be forum related. I think I rushed into getting this topic up rather than taking a large amount of time writing a fulfilling post. Hopefully the next few will rectify me.

And for your final question, I think, If I understood you correctly I answered in the first answer.

C1: For a lot of users this could be condemned as spam, myself included.

For your second comment, I half-heartedly agree. Perhaps the occasional fake rumor or speculation could make it. Who knows.

Hope this has answered a few questions.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How about something like "fact from rumor". A list of stories that came true from those that were BS. Once a month a run down can be given to track trends of rumors.

8. EvanLugh thread starter macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Good idea to say the least but I do have a few doubts; why would people download or read something which is already going to be painstakingly obvious ( because every one will be talking about it ). Secondly, I don't feel it would be very forum specific nor user oriented. Awaiting your feedback, - perhaps this thread could start a whole list of community related ideas :)

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

It might be hard to find a group of knowledgeable people who would be willing to do it though.

More importantly, who would select the group? Would there be rotations?

I realize I'm asking very particular questions, but these often times determine the quality of the work or at the very least have a grave effect on it.
    So in effect it would be an "expert-driven" version of the forums, like I imagined earlier in the thread.

Not exactly...:p

What I was asking in my final question was whether or not all writers had to be MR members.

More specifically, do they have to be members who have been around for a moderate amount of time (say 1 year)?

However, guessing from your desire to make it an "MR Magazine" it would have to be written by MR members right?

10. EvanLugh thread starter macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

I think as a rough idea we would need to set 2-4 (perhaps) "official" editors. The editors won't be changed. Articles could be submitted by user but there would also be members of the forum on the team finding and writing every week. A rotation is a good idea but might complicate things. Something to go in detail if this even gets looked at by an admin, maybe.

I think I answered a little above, but we obviously can't go willy-nilly and take on anyone. I think the members would have to put themselves forward whilst the "Editors(?)" review them, perhaps ask them to write an article on something from the forum. I don't think making it available [to write articles] for users after a year or any time is an acceptable way of doing things. Maybe it's just me, but as I said earlier there are much more effective ways of choosing and filtering members. (And I haven't been here for a year, I don't think) :p

Thanks