Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I usually don't like the attention drawn on myself, and I hope people don't mind this somewhat self serving post. But I noticed earlier this week, I was closing in on the the 70,000 post mark, with this post, I hit that mark.

Some of you know that I'm a martial artist, and one aspect of my training is an ideal that is conveyed as Hansei - Self reflection, so here goes some self reflection

I joined MR, back in 2009, coming from Macnn. I found this site to be very active, with a large collection of helpful people, Some people who quickly come to mind who were around when I joined were @GGJstudios, @Hellhammer, @balamw, @GoCubsGo, @Doctor Q, and @SandboxGeneral. Sadly, most of which have moved on. There were others to be sure, too many to name. There were also plenty of people I disagreed with, but that's what makes this site the best. We can have a spirited discussion but yet remain respectful. Obviously, there were exceptions but by and large I really enjoyed the debates and dialogs.

I wanted to give @arn, @Doctor Q and @annk a ton of credit, in how they balance the needs and rights of the individual member with the needs of the community. Being a moderator for many years, I saw the good, bad and sadly the ugly. Yet through it all, they continue to propel MacRumors even higher.

I resigned as moderator last spring and largely left not just MR, but online sites. Life happens, and I needed to address some things in my personal life - for my own well being and to be honest stepping back to reflect and deal on those matters was my priority. I know I left without much notice, and I do apologize for that, but again I was focusing on my own well being and I felt I needed to just step back sooner then later.

As a moderator, I tried to treat everyone fairly and consistently. I know I made mistakes, but I hope that I made MR a better place. As I reflect on my time, I wanted to convey that the staff works closely, and that's why mistakes are few and far between. The level of interactions on reports, the fact that everyone felt at ease asking for advise, insight or just plain help, along with the admins providing consistent feedback is a major reason why MR is such a great place.

I understand when someone files a Contact US form, that it can take several days to respond, one major reason is that the administrators take a deep dive on that issue that was presented. Typically not one admin but multiple, and they dig into the details to ensure that they fully answer and respond to the person, which takes time. Also consider they do this as volunteers and have lives outside of MacRumors.

I returned this fall, with a renewed energy, focus and attitude, and its been a pleasure interacting with so many great people. Again, its amazing what has been built here, especially in light of the other social sites, like facebook, twitter, etc which threatened to extinguish discussion forums.

Before this gets too sappy and cringy, let me just say, in this time of thanksgiving, I wanted to convey that its been a great ride here at MR. I've been blessed to meet so many great people, enjoy and I look forward to the next 70,000 messages :oops:

@maflynn Congratulations on hitting the 70,000+ Mark 🫡. What a remarkable achievement! Cheers!!! 😇👏🎉

Also, when you drifted off I was wondering where did you go and if you were ever going to make a return. Hoping everything was ok. When I saw your post and made your return I was very happy.

Btw, once you step down as a moderator. Are you able to become a moderator in the future again or does the moderating process starts all over?

I'm also wondering what is your secret MacRumors title now 🫣

Best wishes,
@TheYayAreaLiving 🎗

Last edited:
Reactions: max2 and BigMcGuire

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Also, when you drifted off I was wondering where did you go and if you were ever going to make a return. Hoping everything was ok. When I saw your post and made your return I was very happy.
I went almost completely dark. I purposely avoided the interwebs, and instead focused my energies on RL

Btw, once you step down as a moderator. Are you able to become a moderator in the future again or does the moderating process starts all over?
Generally yes, though there are exceptinos, I'm sure. I believe if you leave on good terms, its possible. @Weaselboy stepped away something like 6 months, or a year (I forget) and returned.

I'm also wondering what is your secret MacRumors title now
No clue, as my title is set to Moderator emeritus

I guess absence can make the heart grow fonder. :)
Sometimes you don't know what you have until its gone

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thank you for writing the post that started this thread, thanks, also, for starting this thread, and thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I fully understand - and see - the need to step back and take stock; Real Life can be sacrificed all too easily to the online version, and I think the events of the past few years may have compelled some of us to undertake some sort of reappraisal of where priorities lay in our own lives.

While we may have had our differences in (political) perspective at times, I wish you well and have no doubt that - even when I disagreed with them - that decisions you took as a mod, or positions you took as a poster, were taken in good faith. In any case, be kind to yourself and take care.

And well done, too, for your part and role in attempting to make (and keep) MacRumors an attractive space in the online world; that is not always easy, not least because choices made - re what such a site entails or ought to have - a decade ago may no longer be appropriate in the current challenging - and constantly evolving - environment of the online world.

This was the first such forum I have ever joined, a place where I have made the acquaintance of a great many interesting people, some of whom I have even come to call friends, and, as such, I still retain a certain affection for it.

Anyway, welcome back and it is always good to see a familiar face, or should I write, avatar.

Congrats, too, on reaching the milestone of 70,000 posts; I will add that I can (personally) attest to just how much time (over the years) it can take to achieve such a stupenduous post count.

Haswell.......hmmm....

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I’ve told you on several occasions that you were one of the most level headed moderators on the site. That opinion certainly changed after 2020, seeing your stance on several paramount issues. I’ve disagreed with almost everything you’ve said since then, including everything you've written about moderation here. But hey, no need to be too repetitive there. Cheers to working on your mental health and I'll see you around the forums.

Reactions: max2 and ericwn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
MR has definitely benefited from having you around,
Thanks, its been quite enjoyable to interact with people here since my return. Sometimes as a moderator, you get caught between a rock and a hard place - people complaining that you moderated them/their post, and other people complaining that you didn't moderate a post. Don't get me wrong, it can be a very fulfilling undertaking, but its nice being on the other side of the fence as well :)

I've never been able to go completely dark, but there's definitely an ebb and flow to my online presence. I completely understand.
I more or less lurked for a short period but then I opted to step away, not due to any one thing but just to help recenter yourself. Its odd, when you're as active as I was and then basically quit cold turkey - there's an adjustment period. You don't realize how many times you pop into MR, without even thinking

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Congratulations, @maflynn, on your impressive accomplishment, and thank you for all your positive contributions to MR! Yes, real life does demand attention from time to time, and priorities shift, but MR is always a great place to revisit, if only to find out what’s new. Even though there’s less time available for posting, I still consider MacRumors a special place on the web. Happy Holidays to you, @maflynn, and to @arn and all on MR!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.