Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaidao

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
Hey,

So I've been seriously contemplating getting back into WoW (haven't played since vanilla) these couple of days. I'm nearing graduation in my university, so I've got a lot less classes than I've had before, meaning much more free time.

I'm deciding whether I should buy the Cataclysm expansion for 40 bucks, but I know WoW is a lot more fun when you have someone to play with you. None of my friends really play WoW, and all the people I've known through WoW have continued to play and moved on or what not.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone here was in the same boat as me, cause if I could find a couple of people to play with, it would help tip the decision into starting WoW again in Cata.

Kaidao

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
Oh sorry I forgot to mention, I'm in the US, West Coast to be specific.

EDIT: Also, for the Mac WoW players: Does anyone have any experience between WoW for mac vs WoW bootcamp? I'm running Win7 in bootcamp for most of my games (TF2 n HoN) cause they run a lot smoother in boot camp, but I would much rather run it natively on OSX unless there's drop in quality/frame rate. Thanks

Zeov

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2011
Odense
WoW (along with probably all other games) runs better in windows / bootcamp.

i even played wow on my 2010 MBP "13 basemodel, on bootcamp where i was running the game from an external hard drive, that setup was running better than if i was playing on OS X and from internal HDD.

besides, i feel using a mouse with all the acceleration on OS X is pain to play with. That said i have no idea how to fix it, only in windows when i use CPL mousefix :-D

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I'm not a "new" player I guess, but I did just buy cataclysm after a break of six months so I have a lot to relearn. I'd be happy to play with you.

Also, WoW runs just fine under OS X, it might run a little better under Bootcamp but I'm guessing you'd only really notice that if you were desperately struggling to get your framerate higher.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Also, WoW runs just fine under OS X, it might run a little better under Bootcamp but I'm guessing you'd only really notice that if you were desperately struggling to get your framerate higher.

+1 ....

You should not consider bootcamp unless you are running an older machine that barely meets the system requirements.

Kaidao

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
I finally jumped on it and got Cata haha. I'm planning on making a priest, so if anyone wants to join, let me know :)

Hastings101, what server do you play on?

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I play on both Terokkar and Darrowmere

On Terokkar Level 80 Troll Mage Sheepaholic and on Darrowmere Level 22 Goblin Shaman Blakk, but I could start up a new character with you - getting a little bored with these two

Kaidao

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
Alright cool, I'll send you a PM when it's done downloading..still got 7.9GB to go lol

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
hey guys.

i have a bunch of random characters on different servers. what servers are you guys going to be on.

Kaidao

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
hey guys.

i have a bunch of random characters on different servers. what servers are you guys going to be on.

I'll let you know when I start playing lol. I'm still downloading the game client right now but I'm getting excited to start playing lol it's been a while since I've touched WoW

Kaidao

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
Hey,

I started a Worgen Priest on server Daggerspine under the same name as my username. Let me know either here or on WoW if you're interested in joining me. I'll be on for a bit before I sleep lol

DarkVinda

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
Manchester, UK
Hey,

I started a Worgen Priest on server Daggerspine under the same name as my username. Let me know either here or on WoW if you're interested in joining me. I'll be on for a bit before I sleep lol

daggerspine EU??????????

i got a char on there....might be worth logging in to!!!!!

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
looks like i wont be joining you guys. i am on the american servers.:( but have fun on your return.

bluskale

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010

You should not consider bootcamp unless you are running an older machine that barely meets the system requirements.

In my experience, you are both quite wrong. You'll see a major improvement running WoW through bootcamp. Not that you'll probably actually need to, given the wide range of hardware the game runs on. However, the game will certainly look better at equivalent framerates on the PC side, unless you can already run the game well with everything maxed.

I use a mid 2010 macbook pro, and keep the settings around "good". Through bootcamp, it seems to get equivalent frame rates somewhere between high and ultra.

Kaidao

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
Hey,

I havent checked the forums in a while, been getting sucked in to WoW lol

@Bokdol: I am on the US PVP Daggerspine server. Right now I have a lvl 13 priest named Kaidao and I'll also be testing out a mage today to see which one I wanna stick with haha. Let me know your username or just add me!

@Bluksale: Actually my game runs perfect natively on OSX. I have a 2010 MBP 2.4ghz w/ the 256mb GT300m. My settings are all high with the water and sunshaft(?) turned off. I'm consistently getting 60fps, with maybe just a few spikes down to 30s in battles. If I turn some settings to medium (which doesn't really make a difference in graphics, at least to me), I'm always at 60 fps. Blizzard did a great job with the Mac version of WoW.

bryanck

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
I'm a former Mac WoW player. I ditched WoW for Rift. The only downside to Rift is that it is Windows-only, so you'll need to run it under Bootcamp. Rift is really a great game, I'm having a blast. The graphics are amazing, but you'll need a decent GPU (I have a new MBP with the 6750).

Fugue

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2011
Ex WoW player here. I was a serious raider back in Vanilla and TBC. Gotta say, 40 man Molten Core Raids with my family - errr, I mean guild, were a blast! Thankfully I quit. Took too much time and social life away.

If only I could return to those 6 hour Molten Core runs, 5 hour AQ40 attempts. Ahh good times :)

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
Oh sorry I forgot to mention, I'm in the US, West Coast to be specific.

EDIT: Also, for the Mac WoW players: Does anyone have any experience between WoW for mac vs WoW bootcamp? I'm running Win7 in bootcamp for most of my games (TF2 n HoN) cause they run a lot smoother in boot camp, but I would much rather run it natively on OSX unless there's drop in quality/frame rate. Thanks

I've been playing lately, somewhat new (4-5 months) and I play here and there.. like level 68 I think.

It definitely runs much better on Bootcamp, everything maxed on bootcamp at 2560x1440 I get 40+fps.

Everything maxed at that on OSX I get like mid 20's, so a noticeable difference.

I play on OSX just because I'm too lazy to boot into bootcamp, and I just set shadows down 1 notch, brings me back to around 35-40 fps everything else maxed.

Worldofwarben

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2011
Buy the Game!

Buy the game man!
Do it, everyone should.
The game allows for some serious new strategies and techniques, and I've found my way easily into top guilds and super high arena ratings already. So freaking fun!
its easy to succeed but so much to succeed at in game. I dont play a whole lot either which is nice. Since I can log on and expect great gameplay :) Way to go WoW!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.