MacRumors or Mac/PC/AndroidRumors?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Dataz, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Dataz macrumors member

Why name the site "MacRumors" when you don't exclusively write about the brand and its products? I visit MacRumors because I want to read about Apple news and rumors, I have no interest in Microsoft, Android or other crappy products but you still write about them?

Why?

Keep MacRumors for Apple news and rumors or you will loose readers.

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

You don't think what those other companies do is relevant to what Apple does? Think again.

3. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

There are Apple users who still use and enjoy other products. For example, there may be people here who use Apple computers, but Android phones or tablets.

The site is divided in to categories for the "other" company's products. Seems to be a good way to handle it.

It seems that the site is doing well thus far and isn't "loosing" too many members. ;)

4. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

MacRumors is an evolving tech website. Don't get hung up on the name. If you don't care for some of the content, ignore it or find another website that suits your needs.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Many people who frequent Macrumors use a variety of technology that may include a combination of apple, microsoft, android etc. I think its good to keep an open mind and read/discuss what others are doing.

The current microsoft news threads are a great example - they are very active, so people do seem to enjoy discussing the topic. I think the opposite will occur in that there will be an increase in people coming here, not a decrease.

6. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

There are a lot of threads that - actually - compare iOS/OSX, Android, Microsoft which is extremely useful.

7. cairene2011 Guest

I actually find it great that I don't have to daily check manifold sites dedicated to different manufacturers just to get a vague idea about what's going on in the industry. It would be inconvenient if Macrumors would solely report about Macs.

Btw, according to your logic Macrumors also shouldn't mention anything about iOS devices, because they aren't Macs either... ;)

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I am impressed withe depth and breadth of the Microsoft coverage. I went to other sites and the information was not presented very clearly or concisely.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I love my Apple products...
    but I don't want to put my head in the sand like an ostrich :)

I really doubt the site loses readers because it isn't "exclusive" to Apple products
    Besides, you might find out some of the products aren't as crappy as you've heard ;)

10. Tanegashima macrumors 6502

You're right.

This site sadly is getting worse every month that passes.

It's not macrumors, it's CRAP rumors, with completely fabricated and baseless rumors (like those of 9to5mac MBA renders and AW battery life), and sensationalistic BGR-style articles, like exposing what Snowden's lawyer says (without any base) as truth, and as said by Edward Snowden itself.

It's a BS site now, and theres no use, a news aggregator does a better job.

11. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I'm fine with it too. I haven't used Android on a daily basis since 2013, and Windows since 2006. But we can't live in a bubble.

12. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Here, let me help you...

[​IMG]

13. Tanegashima macrumors 6502

Exactly.

I'm trying to have a bit fun while I don't get banned.

14. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

How is that going?

15. tdale macrumors 65816

The Android trollers are annoying, as are the Apple defensive group, the MS people seem quite ok. But filter that out and its best to be aware of everything IT, not just Apple.

16. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

1. MacRumors.com News Discussion
    2. Mac Blog Discussion
    3. iOS Blog Discussion
    – at a glance, skimming through 180 headlines (sixty on each first page), most if not all posts are Apple-related.

A distinction:
    • front page news, blogs, roundups and the buyer's guide – posted by MacRumors (predominantly the eight members of staff who are listed at the home page, I guess) – with discussion spun off from news items and blog posts
    • discussions begun by the audience.
    The forum software allows us to filter things when browsing and seeking information; it's reasonably well organised.

If a post within an Apple-focused topic is off-topic enough to be treated as crap, report it.

17. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

It would not be nearly as useful if it were Mac-only.

I live in a world where I used Macs, iOS, Linux, and Windows. The tech people I find here are a notch above what I find elsewhere. I have Windows sites I visit and they all keep up with other platforms as well. They have to. Companies use more than one platform.

18. technosix macrumors 6502a

I enjoy MacRumors site immensely.

It's very challenging to run a great forum, and I believe this is one of the best on the Web. The diversity of topics makes for interesting and educational reading.

The help to new users is excellent and very comprehensive. The resources here are invaluable to those who take the time to read and learn.

Those who spend the time to complain about how bad things are, reflect more about themselves and their need to be negative than anything else.

No site is perfect, but I find MacRumors a terrific way to get the information I seek.