Macrumors out of touch

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by smali, May 10, 2012.

1. smali macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure that macrumors is just recycling the same old rumors over and over again. It's getting old seeing the same rubbish about a 7" ipad or apple TV.

Putting random blog posts from non credible sources isn't my idea of front page news either.

Digitimes reportedly one of the worst sources of info since they just blatantly make stuff up, is where almost all your "news" comes from.

I haven't seen anything decent here for ages, doesn't deserve the advertising dollars it recieves. Shame because it used to be a good site.

2. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Well, it is called MacRUMORS.

You should demand your money back. Oh wait...

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, besides MacRumors, both AppleInsider.com and 9to5Mac.com ran the 7" iPad story this afternoon, and I'm sure by the end of the day, most of the Mac sites will have had it featured as "Front Page" type news. If the blogosphere was really tired of this rumor, then it wouldn't get carried as far as it has.

Rumor: Apple to release sub-$250 7-inch 8GB iPad in October
    AppleInsider, today @ 2:39PM

Rumor: 7-inch iPad coming in October for under $250?
    9 to 5 Mac, today @ 2:53PM

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The bigger issue is that the front page has mainly turned into press releases.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

7. rdowns, May 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 11, 2012

rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

MacRumors publishes an awful lot of stuff that would never have been published in its heyday. Don't get me started on the manufactured stories from a certain MR writer.

8. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

Well, I don't know,,, seems of worth to my naive eyes. Nevertheless, guess if person don't like it, they can join 'em, as MR is hiring writers :cool:

9. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I think that is more of a problem with Apple-related news and rumours in general. As Apple has become more and more popular and valuable to investors rumours have followed suit and become more and more prevalent and crazy.

10. PeckhamBog macrumors 6502

PeckhamBog

I wonder if this is the legacy of being in the PJ [post Jobs] era. Or should that be PSJ [incase another Jobs bursts forth on the scene]?

11. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Yes, can we stop running stories relating to mac things, I'm sick of it.

12. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

You're reading it wrong.

13. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I haven't looked at the front page in years. Every once in a while, I'll see an article that I'd like to comment on in the forums, but it's not worth my time to actually look at it.

14. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

What's with the vagueness? Why not just state their name?

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Privacy ?

;)

16. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Members aren't bound by the same kinds of privacy rules that mods and admins are, but of course the only reason to mention (or even allude to) a name is if something constructive is going to be offered about the topic at hand.

I haven't reacted to the news on the front page in a negative way, but then I don't spend a lot of time on other, similar sites, so I'm not comparison shopping. Is there anything specific anyone could offer about what they'd like to see more of?

17. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Ironically the site was better when this was Arn's side project and he still worked as doctor.

18. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

The other way of asking this question: what Apple site does the OP (or anyone else) think is in touch?

19. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

Before the iOS era, right? I can't believe that additional efforts from Arn have diminished the quality of this site. Or am I misinformed?

20. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

To be honest I use the site for its forums. If I want news I usually look at 9to5mac. Sometimes I look at the Front Page of MR. The shining part though is the forums.

21. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Just look at the user demographic we have in the forums. That will at least partially explain the quality of front page stories. They're meant to draw people in, not inform people. The problem is, they're drawing in the wrong type of people, and it's hurting the quality of our forums.

22. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Now this begs the question, what would you consider being quality? Do you have an example?

23. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

In the two and a half years I've been here I haven't noticed any decline in news quality... :confused:

24. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

I guess the easiest wy to explain it would be signal/noise ratio. You have to filter through a lot more crap to find anything useful. I mostly hang around th MBP and iPad sections of the forum, so I don't know if tis is true everywhere or not.

25. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

MacRumours's front page is where I go for all my Apple news. That, and twitter.

I find the posts on MacRumours to be relevant and informative.

I do however suffer from a strange genetic condition that causes all stretches of text containing the word "digitimes" to become blurry and unreadable.

This could be why I am less disgruntled at the quality of recent reporting.