MacRumors Recipe Thread!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dubhe, Aug 4, 2009.

1. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I like to cook, I also like to try new recipes. Here's what I just ate, maybe you can share your favourite snacks and/or meals:

Cheesey Marmite on Toast
    1. Take a slice of crusty white bread
    2. Pop it in the toaster until the edges brown
    3. Spread on some butter (there is no substitute)
    4. Then a thin layer of marmite :)
    5. Grate some good English Cheddar over the top
    6. Place under a pre-heated grill until bubbling
    7. Enjoy

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I thought when I first made it I was doing something really smart but then I realized it was dumb... but I still make it!

Scrambled French Toast

Throw torn up bread into your scrambled eggs and whatever else you would put in your french toast.

That's it. But it's good for kids cause it's basically pre-cut-up and you don't waste a bowl filling it with egg to coat the bread in... :D

3. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I make a killer Caprician panini... I make it from scratch and don't have the recipe atm, but it uses onion, basil (fresh), tomato, rye bread, good quality olive oil, white wine (for simmering the onion), small amount of parmesan, buffalo mozzarella, fresh spinach, etc etc. Comes out pretty dang good.

...now I'm hungry...

4. dubhe thread starter macrumors 65816

dubhe

Sounds good, best you get the recipe posted!

5. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

-Butter a bagel
    -Put american cheese on it
    -Broil it on low for around five minutes

None of my roommates did that, ever. It's a quick, fairy tasty meal.

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

The perfect Reuben sandwich:

1. Heat a griddle or skillet on high.
    2. Place lots of thick-sliced pastrami on the griddle, heat it through but do not dry it out.
    3. At the same time, plant a small pile of sauerkraut on the griddle to heat it through and partially evaporate some of the liquid. Nobody likes a soggy sandwich.
    4. Using two slices of thick-sliced marbled rye bread, layer the following on a paper plate in this order: bread, Swiss cheese, pastrami, Russian or thousand island dressing, sauerkraut, more Swiss cheese, and bread.
    5. Melt a pat of butter on the griddle, then place the whole sandwich on the melted butter and grill until nicely toasted. Melt another pat of butter, carefully turn the sandwich, and grill the other side.

The two slices of cheese, since they're between freshly grilled bread and hot pastrami/sauerkraut, will melt and help to hold the whole thing together. Since the dressing is in the middle, it won't make the bread soggy.

Serve the whole thing alongside a nice Polish pickle spear and a bowl of matzo ball soup.

7. MTI macrumors 65816

Combine equal parts real maple syrup with soy sauce (low sodium if you prefer) to create enough liquid to submerse chicken parts or fish fillets (salmon works nicely) in a covered container.

The sweet & salty components compliment each other.

Marinade in the fridge for no less than 45 minutes. It can sit overnight if you're forgetful. Pitch the marinade when ready to cook, never reuse marinades that have had raw proteins in it.

Grill, broil, roast or bake as you normally would.

If you want to be "chefy" then take 1/4 cup of maple syrup and mix in 3 tablespoons of soy sauce in a small pot. Simmer (bring to a soft boil, then set to low) until it reduces by at least half and becomes thicker. Use a pastry brush to glaze the chicken or fish during the last 10 minutes of cooking.

Variations on theme: slices of ginger root, sliced garlic, lemon or orange juice added to the basic mix.

8. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I'm sorry but did you just say, and I'm quoting, "American cheese"? The stuff that sits in the supermarket at room temperature and doesn't go bad? Gouda or emmentaler would be better, methinks... barring that it sounds good for something simple and quick.

9. Shivetya macrumors 65816

butter some saltines, like a whole tube, and then dip in freshly made hot chocolate :p

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

That's how most cheese is made - by sitting at room temperature :confused:

11. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

All kinds of cheese are refrigerated like milk and dairy in every supermarket I've ever visited. Except for vintage cheese. And even that is sometimes refrigerated.

12. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

my only point was that American is Fake Cheese. It doesn't 'go bad' per se; You can't leave regular stuff out that long or it goes rancid.

13. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I love this recipe for Irish Cream Ice Cream. :) Comes out nice and creamy. I do suggest upping the irish cream to 2 1/2 tablespoons. I have found out that doing the regular 2 tablespoons when the ice cream finishes freezing in the freezer, the irish cream taste is a bit bland. Adding another 1/2 a tablespoon gives it enough taste to it. Also, if you use skim milk like I do, add a tablespoon of table cream to make up for not using whole milk. And of course, go for the original Bailey's irish cream to use.

http://icecreamireland.com/2006/07/31/irish-cream-liqueur-ice-cream/

14. shivermetimbers macrumors 6502

Weeeeeelllllll! **Cracks knuckles** I can contribute to this. When I am not off battling the forces of evil/terror. You can find me in the back yard next to the smoker with a beer in hand.

The Atomic Buffalo Turds:

Sound funny? Its not...these babies will wreck any known diet with fatty goodness. You'll take one look at one and say as you stuff it in your squeal hole, "I am gonna turn you into poop." These things rock! Very addicting. Here is how to make em........

A bunch of Jalapnos
    Thick Cut Bacon
    Little Smokie Sasauges
    1 White Onion
    Cheam Cheese
    Kingsford Charwood
    Aged Hickory wood or oak(Smoke) (although you should get the good results without) ;)

Lop the steam of the Jalapenos' and half em
    Take a spoon and de-vein em....seeds and all
    Throw a dallop of Cream Cheese in the jalapenos add a few bits or onion in with the cheese
    Throw the Smokie Sasauge on top
    Wrap the whole thing in Bacon
    Skewer a toothpick to hold everything in place
    Throw it on the grill.....indirect heat works best
    Cook till bacon is done......chow down!

I sprinkled em down with a little chili powder:
    [​IMG]

Throw em on the grill. Those are my Pork Butts in the pic...no they are not burned...its the bark/Rub.
    [​IMG]

When they are done:
    [​IMG]

Chow down and wash it back with a decent beer!
    [​IMG]

15. shivermetimbers macrumors 6502

BBQ'ed taters:

6 large russet taters (chop em up)
    1 white onion (cut it up)
    1/4 stick of butter
    1TB Kosher Salt
    1TB Black Pepper
    1Tsp Paprika
    1Tsp Chili powder Add more if you like it spicy.
    1/4 cup olive oil

Throw is all together and mix it up. Wrap it all up in foil x 2 and toss em on the grill. Make sure the foil is tight. When the taters are tender...its done....chow down!

16. shivermetimbers macrumors 6502

THE best dry rub for pork and about anything else you can think off. I use it on everything and is exceptional on pulled pork:

Rub (I have used this on Pork Shoulder and Ribs...works well)
    A) 1/2 Cup Paprika
    B) 1/4 Cup Kosher Salt
    C) 1/4 Cup Sugar (superfine/bakers works well)
    D) 2 Tablespoons of Mustard Powder
    E) 1/4 Cup Chili Powder
    F) 1/4 Cup Ground Cumin
    G) 2 Tablespoons Ground black Pepper
    H) 1/4 Cup Granulated Garlic (I used roasted garlic)
    I) 2 Tablespoons Cayenne Pepper

Mix everything up and store in freezer after done. It will keep indefinately. Want it more spicy? Bump the Mustard Powder and Pepper to 1/4 Cup

Now that I have given most of you the means to clog your ateries up....enjoy!

17. shivermetimbers macrumors 6502

Last one........

OJ Cornish Game Hens

6-8 Cornish Game Hens....half em up (Clean then thouroughly with lemon water to kill the nasties)
    1 Gallon of OJ
    2 Cups Rice Wine Vinegar (Mok-co-li...Korean)
    2 Cups Raspberry Vinegar
    1 Cup Light brown sugar
    1 TB Garlic Juice
    1 Bunch Cilantro, chopped
    6 Each Star Anise (not eh extract or the seeds....the flower
    2 Ea Cinnamon sticks busted up
    2 TB red Pepper Flakes
    1 TB whole cloves
    2 TB Whole black peppercorns
    1 Cup Kosher Salt

Combine all in pot (except the hens)...bring to a boil and simmer for 45 minute's After it reached room temp, add the corninsh game hens...soak em for 24 hours under refigderation (tupperware)

Fire up the smoker with Cherry or Apple wood...cook the hens up at 225 for 2-3 hours...or until done. Baiste then with excess brine every hour........mmmmmmm!

It has a sweet taste....good stuff!

18. shivermetimbers macrumors 6502

Ok, really...last one. This one is a fav....

Green Bean Cassarole:
    Time to make 20 minutes till you're scarfin

Stuff you will need:
    1) 4 cans of Green Beans
    2) Bag of Cheddar Cheese (I used Mexican Cheedar and Jack)
    3) French Onion topping
    4) Two cans of Cream of Mushroom soup
    [​IMG]

Drain the beans and toss em in a bowl:
    [​IMG]

Throw the soup on top...looks like an aftermath of a bad night of partying:
    [​IMG]

Throw cheese on top..how much is up to you:
    [​IMG]

Mix it all up annd nuke it in the microwave for 1:00 er so, mix it up again and nuke for an additional 30 seconds and dump it in to a oven safe dish:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Throw some more cheese on top:
    [​IMG]

Throw coat with french onions:
    [​IMG]

Give remaining onoins to the kids, should get a smile like this:
    [​IMG]

Crank up the oven to 350 and cook til top is browned...15 minutes er so...chow down!
    [​IMG]

19. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

This would have been a great recipe - this part kinda threw me :eek:

20. shivermetimbers macrumors 6502

Sorry, thats my off-humor/teminology. Its a good recipe nonetheless........I've made it a few times for the the wife's church group. Its usually the first one to be gone.