Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
The Truth said:
It's through a Behringer Condenser mic.
i noticed a lot of sibilance on your voice. try taping a pencil vertically across the grill and see if that knocks it down some.

e-clipse

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2006
Nashville,TN
Pathetique said:
I've got a project I'm doing called Dante's First Circle. I'm in the process of writing a concept album based on Dante's Inferno. The intro song is up (It Begins). The other three songs are just ones i came up with before i got my idea to do this.

http://www.purevolume.com/dantesfirstcircle

I used reason 3.0 and garageband on every one

Your individual instrument stereo fields are wonderful. Good mix and clarity. Pretty cool tracks..:) :) :D:eek:

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I while back I developed a spreadsheet system to generate patches for the Subtractor and Malstrom synths in Reason. This then gave me the idea to create spreadsheets to generate the actual info for patterns as well.
In all the tracks I created everything was random:

bpm, number of bars in track, level of each channel in each bar, etc.

This is the easiest track to listen to. I'm a fan of John Cage and noise artists like Merzbow, Boris and NON so I really like it.

Randomness 3

e-clipse

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2006
Nashville,TN
:D :eek: :D :D

The only things I would work on would be the brass, it sounded more like sampled horns instead of having the expressiveness of an air blown horn. It can be created by manually altering the attack and release. However, I love the tone of the brass used! Plus, personally I would like the attacks to come down harder. I want to feel the strength of the percussion. Maybe some cymbal crashes should be added when the percussion enters in. The strings are tight! It kinda has a Phillip Glass and Burkhard Dallwitz feel to it. Phillip Glass and Burkhard Dallwitz made amazing music for the theme of The Truman Show. The movie wouldn't have worked without it. I over critiqued it, because I like it so much!

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
Well I'll certainly try altering the attack and release - very useful tip, thank you.

I love the music for the Truman show also - it's interesting becasue I wouldn't have tied together a link until you just said it!

The sample collection I was using was EWQLSO (East West Quantum Leap Symphony Orchestra) and they have some amazing orchestral collections. The Vienna Symphony Orchestra Collection is also supposed to be amazing although I haven't used it myself.

Glad you like though :)

e-clipse

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2006
Nashville,TN
Those orchestra samples sound wonderful!

You inspired me to work on my piece more.It is funny how I wrote my piece and didn't even notice my problem areas til I hear someone else's piece in a similar genre. My snare work was horrible! lol My strings needed more space to fill, so I gave the more orchestral room reverb.

You do beautiful work. You deserved a top score.:cool:

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
The problem is, it's a subjective thing.

My big "gripe" about patches and sample libraries are the strings section - they're almost never accurate enough, and if they are you either get this "harsh" sound or a very mellow "washy" sound, which doesn't in any way reflect a typical warmth of a 50 piece string orchestra...for me, the EWQLSO outclasses the motif in this area...

The motif has some great sounds however...and it's got a much wider variety. The EWQLSO is literally just a Symphony Orchestra Sample Library. If you're thinking of using pianos, pads etc the Motif is best for you.

I try and take a very minimalist approach however and use as many software solutions as I can - so no motif for me :(

Check out the demos at Yamaha.com and soundsonline.com

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Well, I really like it; A few points to consider however.

At 1.10 the first incarnation of the clarinet cadenza begins - but I think this is the perfect opportunity for a little playing around with the tempo of the track - it could be completly rubato, pulling and pushing with the listners perception of the pulse. It would be excellent if these were almost made a little longer.

Secondly, a more general point is the use of dynamic contrast; while there is instrumental contrast between more often than not, woodwind/whole orchestra there is very little rising and falling of actual dynamics - which can make a piece very static.

The chord at 1.47 has an excellent climax - the above will hopefully enable you to lower the resty of the volumes so that when you get here, everything can be pushed up.

Basically though, these are just things I wanted to hear as I was going through. Its got fantastic use of going between motifs and ideas, and the use of woodwind against brass and strings is great! That EWQLSO has some amazing Orchestral percussion too that may help with the snare montage at the end!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.