Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulisme

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Charleston, SC
I was just reading a MacWorld post on the anniversary of the iPod where they had compiled a list of quotes about the October 23, 2001 announcement. One of the links they posted was to a thread from the MacRumors forum. It's really fun to look back and see the initial reactions (many negative) to what would eventually prove to be Apple's greatest move ever. I wonder how many of the nay-sayers from that thread are still around here today :)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apples-new-thing-ipod.500/ target=

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Hilarious!

Just goes to show you Apple knew what people wanted before most of the people knew.

If any of those posters are still around, I''l bet they changed their usernames.

However, you see the same level of rants today (I want my BluRay, headless iMac, love/hate the new Magic Mouse, etc.).

paulisme

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Charleston, SC
It reminds me a lot of the quote attributed to Henry Ford that says "If I'd asked people what they wanted, they'd have said 'faster horses.'" Most people just want what they already have but "better." Just look at the comparisons to the bulky, CD player-sized Nomad in that original post. It's ridiculous to think of someone carrying one of those around these days, but it's what people were touting as superior at the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.