MacRumors Twitter Links Dead in My Android SMS Application--Please fix

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Edgejr, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Edgejr macrumors newbie

Dear MacRumors Crew:

Love the site. Have just got a new Sprint Evo (no iPhone yet on Sprint). I am following MacRumors on Twitter, but don't use the Twitter app or the Twitter site. Instead, I have Twitter forward all the posts I'm following to my SMS application. They appear as text messages.

It works for every twitter feed I follow....except MacRumors (MR). When MR embeds a link in a post, that link somehow gets messed up. For example, the last post on Apple updating the Remote app came with the following link:

"http://macrumo.rs/bSoZuc" This ".rs" is the problems. Most links, such as AppleInsider show up fine with their ."it" domain.

Please look into this. I have no way of clicking the stories from inside my text messages. This only affects MacRumors. All other twitter feeds have active links. That says to me it's something about the MR tweeted URLs, and not my system.

Joe

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

".rs" is just the country code for Serbia, and we're using it to create our own URL shortener. Otherwise, it's just a regular URL that should be recognized and parsed by software equipped to do so for such links.

It seems like it's a problem with your SMS application incorrectly not recognizing .rs as a valid top-level domain for some reason. So there's really nothing we could do on our end except abandon the URL shortener and go back to a generic service.

Are other people seeing the same issue?

3. Edgejr thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess that doesn't surprise me. It's the built-in SMS application for the Evo and Froyo (Android 2.2). In the next few days I'll see if I can find a different SMS app for download, install it, and see if I've got different behavior out the MR URLs.

Irrespective of the problem, keep up the good work on the site. I've always though you guys do a great job. Sure beats medicine, eh?