Macrumors (via Safari) crashes my system

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by HDFan, Mar 4, 2017.

1. HDFan macrumors 6502a

I am on a nMP with 64 GB of memory, running 10.11.6. I haven't upgraded to Sierra as I am waiting for Logitech to fix their mouse driver problem.

Twice I have received the "out of application memory" error. Looking at Activity Monitor it shows macrumours taking up almost all of my memory. Once this error occurs just exiting applications does not work. Although memory is released other applications which were running at the time are hung, so I have to reboot.

Right now MacRumors is taking ~25 GB of memory in Safari:

Screen Shot 2017-03-04 at 14.23.52.png

and as I have written this it has already increased to 27 GB:

Screen Shot 2017-03-04 at 14.33.07.png
    So I'm going to end this post before my system crashes with the final numbers now being 31 GB.

Attached Files:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not seeing any issues, I also run Safari, and I'm on the latest version of OS X. For giggles, did you try using Chrome and see if its related to Safari or another issue?

What does the console logs say (not about the crash, but as you visit MR)

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just as a test, try making a new (temp) admin account then login to that account and see if the issue persists. That will tell us if it is an extension or something specific to your account. If that does not fix it, try booting into that test account in safe mode. Just hold the shift key at boot and safe mode will launch without any third party startup or launch items to eliminate that as the cause.

4. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

FWIW, I've had similar issues several times over the past month - I leave the machine, usually with the MacRumors tab active, and return later to memory problems. Memory Pressure goes deep into the red, MacRumors at the top of the list (sorry, no screenshots). Restarting Safari (10.0.3) resolves, until the next time (maybe once a week, more or less). My guess has been that it's ad-related, since that's the only active content. Media players do have a way of pulling resources.

May be unrelated (or related), but Safari > Develop > Show Error Console shows an awful lot of
    Now that I know I'm not the only one, I'll be more attentive to info gathering.

5. HDFan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Same for me. Leave overnight, when come back in morning system is in trouble.

Thanks for the suggestions. The problem is that the error is really random (once a week or less), so debugging as described is difficult. With tons of open tabs it is almost impossible to pin down to a specific location.

I'll see if the system is responsive enough to show the error console and any logs when it next happens, but it's usually hung at that point and I can't do anything.

6. JGRE macrumors 6502a

JGRE