Macs and 720p/1080p playback: which can?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Loa, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

Since getting a HD camcorder, I output many of its video files as 720p or 1080p in various formats. I'm pleased with the results, and my 09 MP can play those files back easily.

Problem comes when I share those movies to friends: most can't even get the 720p version to play correctly without *heavy* skipping.

Is there any way to "predict" which Mac will be able to deal with large video files?

Thanks

Loa

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It depends on the codec you have used, H264 for example is quite CPU intensive, but even my 2007 iMac with 2.0GHz can play back 1080p content encoded with H264. Just make sure, they have a Core2Duo and a good video player like QT, VLC or Movist.

If you use a less compressive codec than H264, like AIC or ProRes for example, the data rate might be to high for your friends' Macs to play them fluently.

3. studiox macrumors regular

IF your using avchd that most cam's today work with for HD recordings that might be a bit hard. My MBP 2.53Ghz can hardly cope with those videos at 1080p in Imovie without almost killing my mac..

Even on my MacPro (1.1) it takes really long time.

720p shouldn't however be a issue with any mac (imho) but I'd stay away from 1080, even 1080i if where you.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

As far as raw power goes, any Mac w/ a CoreDuo 1.83Ghz or higher will play 720p fine, and a 2.0Ghz should play 1080p Quicktime OK. Other codecs will vary and also depending on what player you use to view them. For example VLC plays .wmv smoother than QT + WMVPlayer plugin.

Also bandwidth (bit rate) is a huge factor. Not all 720p/1080p videos are created equally. The more compression you use the easier it will be for playback, but also the worse looking the picture. But some devices, like iPods, won't even playback compatible formats if the bit rate is too high.

What you might want to do is convert your videos w/ handbrake. If you use the AppleTV preset it should work in any Mac from 2006 on you throw it in.

5. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

Thx for the replies. The 2007 iMac is a great example as one of my friend has just that, and playing a downloaded 720p avi movie brings his computer to its knees (even when using VLC). Any ideas why?

I'll try a few codecs with my own movies, but when you download stuff, it's harder to know exactly what they used.

Loa

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

It's probably playing an older mpeg-2 file. The *.avi video is a container not a codec. And it's old.

see this :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codec

7. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

Is there an app that lets us see what type of file is in the avi?

Loa

8. chych macrumors member

My roommate's dual core G5 had trouble playing back a 1080/30p movie I made on my MP 1,1 (a h264 .mp4 file). I re-encoded it with more keyframes than default (like every 6 or so) and then it played fine on his G5. There's a fair bit of encoding settings to play around with.

9. crashmaster1 macrumors newbie

yes: MediaInfo Mac

http://mediainfo.massanti.com/

Have a great weekend!
    crash

10. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

11. hleewell macrumors 6502a

My 2008 MacBook 2.0 Ghz 4 GB RAM with nVidia 9400 can play both 720p & 1080p with no problem at all. These are Quicktime trailers from Apple website. Those hi-bit rate 1080p .mov files downloaded straight from Canon 5D Mark II can be played just as well with no frame skipping or stuttering.

12. crashmaster1 macrumors newbie

You're most welcome!

Enjoy your Saturday!

crash

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Quicktime uses the GPU… on the other hand, a lot folks use VLC, which does not use the GPU.