Macs and DVDs - what's the problem?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by OldCorpse, Nov 8, 2011.

1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I have a late 2009 iMac i7, with 8GB RAM, SL 10.6.8. It is virtually impossible to play DVD movies on it. I've already had the DVD drive replaced once for an unrelated problem (would not ingest media), and the issue here is that unless the disc is brand new - and I mean right out of the package, it will not play and my iMac will spit it out. That means I can never play any DVD I get from Netflix, even if to the naked eye, the disc looks perfect without a scratch. If I buy a brand new DVD and break it out of the package, yes, it will play. It seems extremely finicky.

So in desperation, I bought an external DVD drive, an LG model with good reviews. Well, it's better there - if I insert a DVD from Netflix, I have at least a 50% chance it will play. But half the time it will not.

Here's my beef: I have no problem with any DVD I insert into a windows laptop - it plays beautifully, without a hiccup.

So what's the problem? Is it a software issue? Are Macs just much worse at playing media like DVDs (I never have a problem with CDs!), or what? Should I just resign myself to watching DVDs on windows machines because Macs just can't manage? What's the solution, and is there one? Thanks!

2. SMDrew macrumors member

My mac Mini is very susceptible to dust. I have to take an air canister and blow it out when it exhibits these kinds of symptoms.

Not suer what to tell you about the external drive, though. :confused:

3. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Update: well, it transpires that at least part of the problem is software. On a hunch, I put the DVD in the external LG drive, and instead of using the DVD Player, I used VLC. Bingo - now the DVD played! Meanwhile, the DVD Player would always stick on the FBI warning screen and go no further.

I am shocked and deeply disappointed by Apple's DVD Player application. It's objectively, incontrovertibly - demonstrably - GARBAGE. What is wrong with these guys? Why can other players, including on Windows play DVDs, but the POS Apple software sh|ts its pants?

I'm completely disgusted. I'm sorry, but the Mac ecosystem sucks for displaying media.

4. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

I have a similar situation with my Mac Pro: some it plays, others are ejected so bought an LG external drive.

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

No it doesn't. You just seem to be having a problem with your Superdrive. I would suggest an appointment at your local Apple Store. They are very helpful.